securing toggles on rigging

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

sailor

securing toggles on rigging

Post by sailor »

The previous owner of my Cape Dory 270 used cotter keys for the toggles on the stays and shrouds. I was concerned about bare feet scraping across the deck level ones so replaced them all with the clevis pin rings. Was this a better way to go? Or is it one of those 50/50 decisions?
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Re: securing toggles on rigging

Post by moctrams »

An "old salt show me to use cotter pins and cut a piece of 1" pvc pipe ran thru a table saw to cut a 1/2" groove to slide over the toggle. I just pull the pipe up to inspect and never have been injured by a bent cotter pin.

Zoom in and you can see them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by moctrams on May 14th, '16, 14:26, edited 1 time in total.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

I have never lost a cotter pin but I have lost rings on my lifelines. I do not buy into the school of only spreading the ends of a cotter pin a little bit. I'm not really concerned about removing and reusing cotter pins. I bend them all around the rigging pin tight. They seldom catch an anything. I don't tape or cover them since I like to inspect them on a regular basis.

New cotter pins only cost about $0.15 each (less if you buy boxes of 100) Each season I replace 33 cotter pins for a total cost of less that $5.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

Those rings sometimes disappear. We use a machine screw with an acorn nut held by a drop of Locktite. No sharp edges, and we have never lost one.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC