Storage/Moving Cape Dory 30/28 via Trailer

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

psjanker

Storage/Moving Cape Dory 30/28 via Trailer

Post by psjanker »

Anyone have experience with possibility of using a heavy duty trailer for storage and movement? Would like to be able to move with a large truck/SUV. While it appears to be right at some limits, I thought it would be possible but wanted the benefit of others experience. Recognize that loading and unloading would be done by sling.

V/r

Pete
jepomer

Re: Storage/Moving Cape Dory 30/28 via Trailer

Post by jepomer »

These models are over 8' 6" wide so you will need to obtain an over-width permit for each state you need to travel through. Once you are on public roads, the large load will be inspected randomly.

Each is approximately 10,000 lbs requiring a trailer (approximately 2,000 lbs or more) and vehicle that is rated for that size of a load. A modern 3/4 ton pickup rated for 15,000 lbs towing would be minimum. No SUV is rated high enough to be really safe.

Don't forget all the things in the boats that add weight!
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

John

I thought that the main advantage would be being able to keep the boat close to home to cut out driving time when doing projects. It would also give me a way to get one of the boats to the Pacific Northwest. The alternative would be to hire out the task or taking it by water, which would be an adventure of a lifetime.

You bring up good points not to mention possible height issues. Anyone out there have experience taking a boat cross country?

Pete
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Pete,
I too would love to be able to take our CD27 out to the PNW. Last year we drove out to Seattle on vacation. I can not imagine trying to tow a 27, 28, or 30 up over those mountains with anything less than a tractor trailer. In a low enough gear I suppose a 3/4 ton could get you up the slopes, but coming down would sure get exciting.
Good luck and do keep us informed. Maybe someday I'll get Slainte out there.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Tim

I consider the PNW my home and its where I first started sailing. I dream of having a Cape Dory there that I can use in the summer to travel thru out the many waterways. Chesapeake is great but the I guess the grass is always greener on the other side...of the nation! My current plan is to take get the CD 30 to the PNW and to keep the CD 28 in Key West. Of course my wife's plan is for the CD 28 to be sold this Spring!
V/r

Pete
Dave and Kathy

Post by Dave and Kathy »

To bring Grayce Avery (1984 CD 28) home to the PNW from Maine, Kathy and I had a custom trailer fabricated. (We wanted the future freedom of being able to move her ourselves when the restoration was complete and the cost of the trailer was comparable to the quotes we obtained to have her delivered by land.)

We used a 2008 Ram 2500 crew cab/short box pickup with Cummins Diesel (automatic transmission) and kept speeds to less than 65 mph. No issues. Climbed Continental Divide in cruise at 65 mph easily. I was concerned about permits, but in the end we decided to chance it. No issues there either. Most worrisome part was threading the needle through toll booths; I knew we'd fit since semis get through but the lane sure looks small the closer you get...
Dave and Kathy
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Dave and Kathy wrote: I was concerned about permits, but in the end we decided to chance it
I can't stress strongly enough that anyone considering a similar move should strictly adhere to the State and Federal wide/oversized load laws. The life you take may not be your own.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Dave

Do you still have the trailer or if not, the specs you used for the build? Where do you keep your boat in the PMW?

Pete
Dave and Kathy

Post by Dave and Kathy »

Pete,

I bought the trailer new from a custom trailer fabricator in East Tawas, Michigan and picked it up on the way east. Unfortunately, I am unable to locate that company online; it may be they are no longer in business I still have the trailer. Grayce is still sitting on it in my workshop in Richland, WA.
Dave and Kathy
K Chiswell

Post by K Chiswell »

I've got a friend with a CD 30 he tows with his Dodge 2500 and has no problems. I use to tow a J/24 (8'11") all over the place both in New England and the Southeast without a permit and never had a problem. There is a very small amount of the overall load that is wider than 8'6", and it is higher than most vehicles on the road it. If you do a little searching on some of the Diesel Owner forums you will find a good bit of information about towing large boats. A CD 30 is not as big as what some people tow regularly. If you have a trailer made you might want to consider a goose-neck. They cost more but tow better.
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Jim Walsh wrote:
Dave and Kathy wrote: I was concerned about permits, but in the end we decided to chance it
I can't stress strongly enough that anyone considering a similar move should strictly adhere to the State and Federal wide/oversized load laws. The life you take may not be your own.
---
Agreed,
In addition, large loads need additional safety factors, for handling, and braking, like the much bigger brakes, heavier chassis, and dually rears as well as the stronger newer diesel engines and bigger transmissions of the 350/3500 trucks. Those are all the reasons I feel safer with our 2013 Chevy 3500 diesel dually long bed, when pulling our Florida based 40 ft 18,000 pound fifth wheel north and west, up and down mountains. An older 3/4 ton diesel may have sufficient power, and I know proud owners of them, but not for larger loads with the smaller 4 wheel 3/4 ton chassis, by any mfr. I would feel safe with any later dually diesel 3500 pulling any of the medium size Cape Dorys of legal highway width on the road, and someday I might.
BC
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
matarcadia

Post by matarcadia »

I have an Alberg 30 which is 9,000# plus about 2,800 for the trailer. This I tow with a 2001 2WD F250 7.3 Diesel. Increased the size of the truck tires to 265 x 16. Air bags on all four corners. Trailer is tandem 6K axles with four wheel electric brakes. Use a trunion with 2-5/16" ball and torsion load levelers, plus anti sway friction brake. Trailer was designed by me using a blow-up of the original Alberg 30 sales brochure.

Since 2001 I have towed this boat approximately 3,500 miles on various land sailing trips. I keep the top speed to 45 or 50 mph and have had no issues. I wear a diaper for the first 100 miles to keep from soiling myself, it takes that long to get used to the tow.

I had the trailer built so I could move the Alberg 30 at will. Have probably saved twice the cost of the boat in relocating and storage costs.
Michael #133
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Mike

Do you have photo and plans?

Pete
matarcadia

Post by matarcadia »

Pete,
I have some photos which I took on my last travel adventure. The plans I have were done specifically for the Alberg 30. I wanted to be able to move her at will as well as have a safe and secure cradle for her while in storage. All has worked out as planned. Contact me with your e-mail and phone number and we can talk.
Michael: crufone@comcast.net 1.231.889.7152.
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Mike

Will do.

V/r

Pete