bronze castings for a CD 30

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

tvangilder

bronze castings for a CD 30

Post by tvangilder »

I have a small bronze foundry in my shop and I was planning to cast a replacement for the fiberglass piece that the engine panel mounts to.

I also own an Endeavour 37 that I am trying to sell. I have cast a bunch of parts for Endeavours, such as this Endeavour builder's plate:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

The fiberglass piece that I am talking about on my CD 30 is flexing and feels about ready to fail. I was planning to cast a drop in replacement with a hole for the Tachometer and temp gauge.

I am definitely casting one for my boat. If anyone is interested, after I cast one for me, I could be persuaded to cast some others. I believe that the flexing I see is a common thing.

-Thad
Thad Van Gilder
CD36 #53 "NIrvana"
Home Port: Rock Hall, Md
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: bronze castings for a CD 30

Post by tjr818 »

Is that the same piece that is common to many of the CD's? Could you post a picture of the piece you are going to duplicate? Or post some dimensions?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
tvangilder

Post by tvangilder »

I won't be down on the boat for two weeks, but its a fiberglass casting the the engine panel is mounted in. on the 30 it is on starboard just forward of the back of the cockpit. I have only owned this boat for 3 weeks.... so I don't know what other cape dories its on.

I am thinking about 1/8 inch thick. you would have to put in your own tach and temp and key.

I am planning to replace my tach and put a temp gauge that has degrees on it. and maybe make space for a oil pressure gauge.

-Thad
Thad Van Gilder
CD36 #53 "NIrvana"
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

My Cape Dory 30B is missing one of its chain locker covers....is it possible to do a casting replacement? Does anyone know of a place to get one at a reasonable cost? Its about 3 1/2 inches in diameter.

V/r

Pete
Attachments
Chain Locker Cover.jpg
Chain Locker Cover.jpg (1.96 MiB) Viewed 328 times
tvangilder

Post by tvangilder »

yes, me. or any other bronze foundry that does sand casting.
Thad Van Gilder
CD36 #53 "NIrvana"
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Will send you a PM for a quote....assume you will need the one I have to make a sand cast.

V/r

Pete