Use dielectric grease on coax or not?

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

bgephart

Use dielectric grease on coax or not?

Post by bgephart »

I have read past threads re dielectric grease and they leave me confused. All agree that dielectric grease is non-conductive. But there is some confusion whether to apply dielectric grease to coax or other 12V boat circuit connections. The confusion above relates to "if dielectric grease is non-conductive, how does it enable current to pass in an electrical connection?" I am renewing my VHF coax connections and would like to know how (or if) to apply dielectric grease to that connection. Put it on the center pin? What about the outer braid? Don't do it? HELP!

Bob Gephart - Savannah
Bob Lascelles

Re: Use dielectric grease on coax or not?

Post by Bob Lascelles »

First I just wanted to point out, that this thread might get more response on the Cape Dory Forum, rather than the Buy and Sell Forum where it is now and I'm sure we have some experts in this area.

I'm definitely not an expert regarding the use of dielectric grease, but here's an article I found that was interesting regarding its use on coax http://forums.solidsignal.com/showthrea ... Connectors

My two cents, I don't see how a modest amount of dielectric grease on the threads of the shell would cause any problem and would help keep moisture out and keep the shell from mechanically seizing up.

All the best

Bob
Bob Lascelles
CD25D Vindolanda #111
York, ME
bgephart

Re: Use dielectric grease on coax or not?

Post by bgephart »

Thanks, Bob - I have reposted on the Forum page. And thanks for your reference article - very helpful.

Bob Gephart - Savannah