Where is the Far Reach?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Re: Where is the Far Reach?

Post by John Stone »

Jim
I agree the boat needs a foot well as it is currently set up. But, for me, with a few mods I think I'd like it better without a footwell. But the mods required to do that are much greater than I want to do. I might install a large teak topped box in the footwell and achieve a similar result but it will take a lot more thought on how to do it well. As you said, to each their own.

I also agree that everything needs to be securely stowed. It takes some time to figure that part out--for any boat. We've been pretty happy in that regard, so far. I have a few ideas for improvements, some of which will have to wait till we get home. I've been researching AIS options. I can see adding another solar panel. Probably add a few LED interior lights. I'll know more about what I need by the time I get home. I need some more time at sea with the Far Reach to know for certain what changes I might want to make.

It's all interesting.
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

The Far Reach, Anchored off Spanish Town, Virgin Gorda, BVI

5 March 2016

We departed Cane Garden Bay on the morning of 2 March. We sailed south along the west coast of Tortola on a broad reach with a single reefed main and the working jib in about 15 knots of wind from the east. We sailed into the Thatch Island Cut then sheeted in and beat to the east up the narrow French Island Cut into the west end of the Drake Channel. We had planned on sailing up to Brandywine Bay for the evening but with a rising wind we footed off and slipped into "The Bight" at Norman Island. Other than the required moorings at St John this is the first time since I departed the US that I voluntarily picked up a mooring that I had to pay for. I think you can anchor in The Bight but is is jammed with mooring balls and it was a hassle I did not want to deal with when I could get the kids in the water right away. We had a great location and spent two delightful days there. I was able to get a few boat projects completed which included scrubbing the Far Reach's hull. We met Melike and Nejat, a delightful Couple from Turkey, sailing a Halberg-Rassy 43 named North, on a planned circumnavigation. They gave us a beautiful "evil eye" AKA a nazar to ward off evil. I hung it from a hook on my sextant box which is attached over the chart table. I see it numerous times every day. Perhaps it will keep watch over my navigation. We had a great time swimming in the beautifully clear water and enjoyed hiking the trails.

On 4 March we beat NE back across the Drake Channel in a brisk easterly wind and anchored on the west side of Buck Island in 20' on a sandy bottom. Sailing in behind us was a boat I had previously seen in Cane Garden Bay, "Sucre d' Orge", an orange and red French aluminum catamaran. We chatted with the two couples on board (only one of whom spoke English) and were invited over for an aperitif later that evening. We gladly accepted. In the mean time we hauled 60 gallons of water to the Far Reach in our trusty collapsable Reliance water jugs and topped off the icebox. Gayle and Cailin made a run to the market and the critical ATM.

That night Gayle and I joined Claude, Arlette, Liliane, and Jean Jacques for drinks and hors d'oeuvres. It was a lovely time. Lots of laughter as Arlette heroically translated our conversations. Over the years Claude has sailed "Sucre d' Orge" across the Atlantic and up and down the West Indies multiple times. It was an evening Gayle and I will never forget.

On 5 March, about 0900 we departed Buck Island and had a leisurely sail over to the Baths. Wow, wow, wow. I have waited 45 years to sail my own boat to the Baths, ever since I saw a picture in National Geographic of Robin Graham's Dove anchored there. It did not disappoint. Sure, you have to pick up a mooring and there are a lot of boats sharing the view but the water and the geological formations are stunning. The color of the water is a vibrant sky-blue and the clarity probably exceeded 200'. We walked through the cave's, which Gayle and I had previously done nearly 20 years before, and it was fun, but the real treat was the snorkeling and swimming off the boat. The kids enjoyed it immensely. Reluctantly, we departed about 1530 and worked our way North for about a mile or two off of Spanish Town in 24' of clear water on a standby bottom.

The weather is supposed to turn snotty for the next five or six days with winds shifting to the south. We plan to head up to Gorda Sound and wait out the weather there. We will swim, work on the boat, do school work, and generally hang out.

More to follow.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vincent

Post by Vincent »

John: It looks like you and your family are having a wonderful time. I have been following you discussion on the CD owners page. I am at work and cannot access that from here. I will try to repeat it when I can get on, others may be interested.
I have several questions for you.
Are you happy with your manual windlass? I know you have minimal electrical capacity. What is your chain size and type and the size of your storm anchor?
I am curious about your winches. What type and size are they? And you have the larger self tailing ones aft, not the typical racing configuration, but it looks like it makes a lot of cruising sense. Close to the helm for easier adjustment when short handed I assume. Looking forward to continuing posts and pictures. Thanks for keeping us in touch.
Vince FitzGerald
Sent from my iPhone
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Hi Vince
The manual windlass has been fine. Very happy with it so far. Takes one minute and 10 scondato haul in 30' of chain at a reasonable speed. We have 240' of 5/16 HT. We are currently using a 33lb spade as our primary anchor. I'd like to elminate our back up 35lb CQR from its stowage rack in the bilge and move the 33 spade there and go with a 44lb spade as the primary at some point. The chain is made by Accor, highly rated by Practical Sailor. I do not use a swivel and do not recommend it.

The primary winches are Lewmar 44 ST. I don't like them. They came with the boat. They are out of production and there are no parts to be found even on line. Lewmar mixed aluminum ST parts with a bronze drum and there is significant galvanic damage where they make contact. When I rebuilt them I cleaned the parts up and reassembled with generous amounts of teff-gel. I need to replace them at some point. The new ocean series Lewmars are better I think. I like what I have seen in the Anderson winches and heard good things about them but I would, if possible, like to have bronze drum winches. I think size 40-44 is fine on my boat. Two speed is essential.

Keep in mind I eliminated the club footed boom for the stays'l and moved the leads to the side deck and not the cabin top as others have done. The geometry of the new rig supported side deck leads for the stays'l plus I did not want holes in the cabin top. So, the secondary winches are on the coaming and take the sheets directly from the stays'l leads. That put the smaller scondary winches forward of the primary winches. The scondary winches are too small. They need to be at least #16 and #20 would be better. I used what I had and they are just OK. They are not self tailing.

After much thought I placed the primary winches aft of the secondary winches. With a tiller the winches are perfectly placed. I can tack with the tiller between my legs, or auto tack as it were, with the Cape Horn windvane and easily work both jib and stays'l sheets. If you are thinking about moving them make sure the new location will allow a full rotation of the winch handle--past stanchions and dodger components if you have one. Also, with a wheel you might want the winches further aft. It's all about the ergonomics--which you can't overthink.

You've been on the Far Reach so you know we try to keep things simple. I like self taking winches but I only have two, the primaries. The difference in cost is substantial. I would have more ST winches if I was willing to spend the money for them. So far, I have been able to meet all our winch needs with those that came with the boat. Hmmm, not true. I did buy one or two used bronze #10s from a Cape Dorian.

Let me know if you have more questions.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Here is a pictures off the Far Reach moored off of the Baths.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

8 March 2016, The Far Reach, Anchored Biras Creek, Virgin Gorda Sound.

I love it here. The sailing is just gorgeous. The water is beautiful. We continue to meet all kinds of interesting people.

On Saturday, 5 March, we weighed anchor off Spanish Town and sailed north along the mountainous west coast of Virgin Gorda under a reefed main and working jib in about 15 knots of easterly trade winds. We then begin to beat NE on a starboard tack around the north coat of the island. The kids and Gayle were below working on school lessons. I sailed the Far Reach steering by hand listening to Mick sing, "You Can't Always Get What You Want" through my nano. I tacked over to port and sailed right down the channel between the reefs and into the North Sound. It was fabulous sailing. We anchored in Leverick Bay in 24' of water. We dinghied ashore. We did laundry, hung out by the resort pool (free to swim in), and ordered hamburgers. Later we took showers ashore--it was my first stand up shower in more than three months.

Next day, the long anticipated cold front arrived in the afternoon announced by a slow 10 hour long 360 degree wind shift. If we remained anchored in Leverick Bay it would get choppy in the soon to be exposed anchorage on the SW side of Virgin Gorda Sound. So we moved to the SE corner of the sound into Biras Creek. As we entered the small anchorage we sounded the depth by heaving the lead line. Later we had a guy dinghy over and tell us how much he enjoyed watching us sounding with the line. 50 years ago it was the norm. Now it is a rarity in the west. I enjoy the timeless of it though.

The anchorage has a bunch of moorings but they were all taken. Nonetheless, I was able to find some room and anchor between a few boats. The moorings belong to a place that is closed for the season (there is a story there I am sure--as it is high end place just around the corner from the Bitter End Yacht Club). So, the moorings are not maintained and I would have been reluctant to pick one up if one had been available--who knows if the shackle is about to rust through. Near by there is a mega-mega yacht show going on this weekend--I can't believe we were not invited! Ha! Earlier in the day a private GulfStream made a slow fly-by of the boat show at less than 500'. The mega yachts here are a stunning display of wealth. After we anchored, we were invited on board Hans and Wilma's steel 34' sloop. They are Germans and sailed "Manatee" to the West Indies from Germany two years ago. We had a wonderful discussion.

It was a crazy night in the anchorage. The boats going every which way due to the windshifts. There were boats weighing and resetting anchors all night. I spent most of the night on deck. There were boats coming within feet of each other though we had reasonable separation all night. The following morning we came within about five feet of a 60'ish foot sailboat on a mooring. The wind was entering the anchorage from around a hill from two different direction at the same time --how does that work? But there was one big mooring no one was taking as it was encrusted with growth and had no pendant. I put my mask and fins on and swam over. I got a scrapper and cleaned off the large mooring ball and the heavy chain. I checked the shackle. Then, I managed to fin down to 35' and it looked good. I added two of my own shackles and seized the shackle pins so they couldn't back out. Gayle and I used the dinghy to run our second bower (5/8" three stand back up anchor line) over to the mooring ball (about 200' away) then we used the manual windlass to weigh about 150' of 5/16 HT and our spade anchor. We then warped the Far Reach over to the mooring ball by hauling in on the second bower. We attached our own pendant and re-stowed the second bower. With the boat secured I was able to dinghy over to the Bitter End Yacht Club with the family and check email via their free wifi.

I think we will probably remain here for the next of the week. More to follow . . . .
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Nice family pictures John, glad you are all able to get together and enjoy life.
I never had self tailers until I bought and installed a set of Lewmar Ocean Series two speed bronzes last spring. They are expensive but made to last a lifetime. They are all bronze internals other than a couple stainless components. Now that I have them I wouldn't want to be without them. I still have my original bronze two speed winches. I don't know if I can part with them. They are in perfect operating order after 31 seasons use. Maybe I'll just put them on the mantle over my fireplace to admire in the off seasons :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

How's that nonskid color on your feet in the tropical sun? Cool enough?
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

David
The light grey kiwi grip has been fine. Able to walk on it barefoot so far without issue.

Best,
John
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Thought I would post a few photos of the mega yachts and exotic sailboats here. "Wild Horses" is also here and it is as gorgeous in real life as she is in the pictures I have seen. I'll post a photo if I can get a decent one of her.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Another interesting sailboat at the North Sound, Virgin Gorda. Has the above waterline looks of the Edwardian era.

We departed Virgin Gorda yesterday and had a nice sail back to the Baths. We spent the night once again anchored off of Spanish Town. Today we plan to make the 21 nm sail for Jost van Dyke. It will be our first down wind sail, of any length, in three months. Everyone is looking forward to it.
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

5 Apr 2015, The Far Reach, Anchored Elepahnt Bay, St Thomas, USVI

We had a fine couple of days at Jost van Dyke. We departed on Friday, 18 Mar and picked up a mooring off Caneel Bay, St John USVI. We cleared in through customs after a dinghy ride down to Cruze Bay. The next day we had a nice wing and wing run back to Elephant Bay, St Thomas arriving Saturday afternoon 19 March.

We spend the last two weeks swimming and hiking (Water Island). The kids visited the old Ft Sagurra on the south end of Water Island.

My climbing harness arrived in the mail along with a couple of micro accenders. On 3 and 4 April I made a couple trips up the mast to run a messenger line to re-reeve the spare jib halyard that chafed through on our passage from NV to the BVI in Dec 2015. I'll write a separate post about he climbing harness set up for those that might be interested.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Great updates. Nice to see a place which isn't covered in snow. Have you determined what chafed the halyard? I always go slightly oversized on my halyards just as chafe insurance. At least a sheet is easily replaced, halyards not so. A parted halyard can ruin your day whereas a parted sheet is an inconvenience under most circumstances. I can hardly wait till I'm back in the water. The warm weather we had a month ago has been replaced by cooler than normal temps and snow. Enjoy yourself!
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Thanks John. I enjoy your updates.

Regarding your photo...Does anyone notice how Alberg Cape Dories look good from any angle? Even with a bit of a fish eye effect from your camera lens (I am assuming a bit of wide angle due to the mast curve) the beam ends of the CD 36 show a lovely line to the sheer in plan form. Though I am no traditional purist, I appreciate beauty in form and function. When I remember the largest of waves I've been in pushed by 50 knot winds onto Femme's hull, I remember feeling completely safe knowing old Carl designed her exactly for that moment. As the waves were consistently turned back one after the other, or deflected harmlessly down the decks all day, I thought he had reached the epitome of good design and elegant execution.

I too use a climbing harness to ascend the mast. Works great and I am tied into two places for the entire trip making a simple, yet redundant system of which a climber could be proud. I use prussic knots now though someday I'll get ascenders.

Have a pleasant remaining voyage,
Paul
CDSOA Member
John Stone

Post by John Stone »

Jim
I think we've finally figured out what's causing the chafe. The challenge now is engineering a solution. The halyard has been chafing on the aluminum web (gussets) that forms the channels on the mast head the halyard runs through after coming off the sheeve. The mystery is the mast head design is fairly traditional. My friend, who build the mast for me, has built thousands (having been the chief engineer for major spar manufacturer for more than 30 years) with nary a problem.

It finally occurred to me that most boats have furlers. The top swivel surrounds the head stay and the halyard is connected to the swivel. So, the halyard remains in alignment with the sheeve and channel. My head sails are hank-on and I believe that as the head of the sail twists off the halyard is chafing on the channel edge. It's a big problem on the full hoist genoa but not so much with the working jib (5' shorter hoist). I think the shorter hoist working jib reduces the acute angle of the halyard coming off the sheeve so it doesn't rub on the channel as much.

We've decided to built a small bracket that will bolt to the mast just below the masthead frame. There will be two fairleads integral to the bracket aligned with the channels leading the the sheeves. The halyards will run over the sheeves, pass through the channels, and pass through the fair leads, then connect to the head of the headsail. This should keep the halyards aligned. I attached a photo of the chafed halyard. The chafing is to the right. I cut the eye open to remove the shackle before I took the picture.

Paul, regarding the comment about the fisheye lenses and the curved mast. The photo was taken with my iPhone so no real distortion there. The curve is the prebend in the mast. The new mast, though 3 1/2' taller than the original Rig-Rite spar is 50lbs lighter. It's more bendy so we can induce some prebend to improve the upwind sail shape. I agree with you about the lines, even in plan view, our Cape Dories just sing beauty.