CD28 for sale in SF BAY area. $22,000 OBO New Engine!

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Northoceanbeach

CD28 for sale in SF BAY area. $22,000 OBO New Engine!

Post by Northoceanbeach »

I bought her two years ago and just aren't getting to use her as much as I want. I've tried to research fair prices but they seem to not have many for sale and the prices vary wildly. I would like to sell pretty quickly, like in a month or two. Here is what it has.

New Beta 20hp Diesel with Vari prop that cost $19,960 to install. 20 hours.
all new electronics. indoor and outdoor touch screen gps, AIS, 2 VHF, 2 tiller pilots. One ST 2000 and one of the new EVO-1 Wind transducer. Epirb. led lights in and out. Two new gel batteries. 110 ah. big Solar panel.

newish sails. one main and one self tacking jib. the job has reef points I just had put in it.

2 year old bottom paint cleaned regularly.

all refinished interior.

All new running rigging, and all new deck hardware.

inflatable dinghy and 5 hp outboard mounted on the stern rail.

Really this boat is turn key and ready to sail any where in the world.
Attachments
untitled-36.jpg
untitled-36.jpg (3.33 MiB) Viewed 1217 times
Last edited by Northoceanbeach on Mar 11th, '16, 13:55, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Walsh

Re: How much should I sell my 28 for?

Post by Jim Walsh »

I don't know what market value might be in California but you seem to have paid an awful lot for that new Beta so you may be on the market a while to try to recoup some of your investment. I was wondering why you have the the Torqueedo mounted on the bracket on your stern if you have a new Beta?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Looks very clean on the outside. What is the finish on the teak, it seems very light?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Northoceanbeach

Well, I'm not worried about getting the money back from the Beta. I know that isn't how boats work, you don't get back what you paid for upgrades. I spent a lot on the electronics too, but I won't get that. Someone will get a nice boat, just like I did.

The torqueedo isn't there anymore. Originally, the boat had a Volvo that the previous owner was repairing. In the meantime, he also liked new technology. In San Francisco people pretty much frown upon using your engine at all, so he put the torqeedo on just to get in and out of the harbor if the Volvo crapped out again. I took it off and sold it.

I was thinking I would sell it for around 20 and be flexible. Is that fair or too much? It is coming up on spring which seems like it would be the best time to sell boats. And it is cruise ready.
Attachments
untitled-3.jpg
untitled-3.jpg (2.21 MiB) Viewed 1164 times
lyonsfin

Post by lyonsfin »

I've been watching asking prices pretty closely for several months as I am getting back into sailing in the near future. I am not familiar with west coast values, but, from what I see, $20k would be a reasonable ask on the east coast in current condition and equipment. I have seen some boats at $15k that are great and some that are trash, but your 28 looks to be in above average condition and should command an above average price. Only real issues are the competition. All older boat values seem to be under a lot of pressure. Good luck.
Josh Lyons
Mystic, CT/Savannah, GA
Northoceanbeach

Thanks. So I could ask 20, and if I had too, go down to the upper teens and that would probably sell quickly? I'm just tired of paying slip fees and insurance for a boat I stopped using. Plus the longer it sits the worse shape it will be in. Right now it is immaculate. But if I don't use it the next couple of months it won't turn to crap, but it won't get any nicer.

The pros about San Francisco is that it is a HUGE sailing destination, the negatives is that racing is most popular. I know there is some niche market for people that want to cruise solo or a couple to Mexico or even the california coast.
sailor

Post by sailor »

On the west coast that boat should be worth a little more than that. I was thinking around 23 or so. There are some sites the surveyors use to see what boats actually sell for. Your boat appears to be a really nice one with great upgrades, go for the top.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

The interior looks great. Nice varnish work and the forest green fabric looks stately. Good luck.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Warren Kaplan
Location: Former owner of Sine Qua Non CD27 #166 1980 Oyster Bay Harbor, NY Member # 317

Post by Warren Kaplan »

Of course the old adage applies that your boat/car/house/business "is only worth what someone will pay for it."

One important consideration is how anxious or time pressured are you to sell it? If you aren't in a hurry you can try pricing it a little higher. In the 20s for sure, and then see if anyone shows "serious" interest. If you are in a hurry, you might want to price it lower, somewhere around what you have seen other 28s sell for recently.

Sometimes its worth pricing it lower for a quick sale because you may come out even (or even ahead) if you don't have to pay further yard storage bills and commissioning bills if the boat sells quickly.
"I desire no more delight, than to be under sail and gone tonight."
(W. Shakespeare, Merchant of Venice)
Northoceanbeach

Ok, what have you guys seen them sell for? Do you think listing right at 20 and being flexible on what I will take would make for a quick sale? As in by the end of april?
ianm

Post by ianm »

I'm interested. :) I sent you a PM.
flyboy5724

Post by flyboy5724 »

With the upgrades that have been done to your 28. I would list her for $24,000, I also have a 28 that I have completely restored and have had multiple offers for $24,000. I am on the east coast and in NC. Also, I own my own yacht brokerage. Good luck.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (2.46 MiB) Viewed 1010 times
Northoceanbeach

Re: CD28 for sale in SF BAY area. $22,000 OBO New Engine!

picture
Attachments
_DSC6800.JPG
_DSC6800.JPG (5.5 MiB) Viewed 979 times
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Nice 28 very reasonable price with that beta
Good luck
Northoceanbeach

Thanks! My only problem is that I had to move to the next state over so I'm trying to figure out the best way to sell it. Has anyone ever came across a situation like this?