Restoring shape of sail ties

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Mike Thompson

Restoring shape of sail ties

Post by Mike Thompson »

After a year or two my sail ties tend to fold down the center and so become more like
a piece of ugly cord than a nice flat piece of webbing. Any solution to this?

Mike
Mike Thompson, Sailor and Artist
CD 28 HAVEN, Spruce Head, Maine
http://cunliffethompson.com
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Restoring shape of sail ties

Post by tjr818 »

I suppose you could take them home and launder them and iron them flat again,but IO would say, Embrace the cord! Maybe you are tying them too tight? I just wrap the ties around the sail a time or two and then cinch them down, relying on the sail cover to keep everything under control while we are absent.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Mike Thompson

Post by Mike Thompson »

Hi Tim,
Yes I have laundered them and tried ironing them but not with much success. The creases remain to a degree
and soon manifest themselves. I also store each tie for the winter in a tight roll with an elastic band around it -
and that also helps a little.
I just wrap the ties around the sail a time or two
Mine are only long enough to go round once and have to be tight to add a bow knot.
Maybe you are right and a much longer (but more expensive) sail tie would do better and would be less tight.

Mike
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Mike Thompson wrote:
I just wrap the ties around the sail a time or two
Mine are only long enough to go round once and have to be tight to add a bow knot.
Maybe you are right and a much longer (but more expensive) sail tie would do better and would be less tight.
Mike
Our sail ties came with the new mainsail from UKsails, they are almost six feet long with an eye sewn in at one end. I think you do need longer ties. Anything can work; old small stuff, polyester webbing, bungees, velcro. They all work, they don't have to be expensive. You can purchase any of that at a fabric store or a big box hardware store. You don not have to go to WM.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

The previous owner of my boat had installed a few fairleads on the port side of the boom and a few matching hooks on the starboard side. He used 1/4" or 5/16 shock cord and ran it through the fairleads with a stopper knot at either end. You just drop the sail and work your way from the tack to the clew gathering the sail, reaching over for the shock cord and slipping it under the hooks as you go. It actually works quite well and is unobtrusive. When the shock cord is not in use it just stays in place. I've never had it catch on anything or act as an impediment. Over the years I just made it simpler by foregoing the one long continuous piece of shock cord and using two separate pieces. Essentially I have two sail ties instead of the four it originally had. I just gather the main on the boom, reach over and grab the shock cord and slip it under the hook to hold the sail in two places. It holds very well because the attachment points on the port side are about four feet apart with the starboard side hook in the middle. Admittedly it may not be as neat but I'm always by myself so it basically allows me to get the job done much faster. I always put my sail cover on unless I just stop somewhere for lunch. If I were not in the habit of putting my sail cover on when the main isn't in use it would make more sense to have the four attachment points to keep the sail neater and more secure. No more sail tie issues...forgot to stuff them in your pocket, didn't bring them all, donated to Poseidon again...I'll bet he already has thousands :)
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Mike Thompson

Post by Mike Thompson »

Tim & Jim
Thanks for the ideas
Mike
Jim Evans

Post by Jim Evans »

Perhaps a bit off topic, but I've grown fond of the STAR BRITE Sail Lash Centipede in place of traditional sail ties. A few years back, this beautiful authentic wooden schooner visited our marina, and was using this centipede system to lash his mainsail down. I thought it was a very clever idea, and found it at WM. Check it out at http://www.westmarine.com/buy/star-brit ... e--4480380
I just leave it on the boom while out daysailing. I varnished the toggles to protect the wood and to make them easier to slide into the eyes; it just makes a very nice tidy package.
I looked at making my own centipede system, but the small savings didn't justify the hassle.
Jim Evans
mashenden
Location: "Nautica" CD-36 #84, Ty-K #83, & CD-10 #1539 in Urbanna, VA. 4 other Tys in past

Post by mashenden »

Jim Evans wrote:Perhaps a bit off topic, but I've grown fond of the STAR BRITE Sail Lash Centipede in place of traditional sail ties. A few years back, this beautiful authentic wooden schooner visited our marina, and was using this centipede system to lash his mainsail down. I thought it was a very clever idea, and found it at WM. Check it out at http://www.westmarine.com/buy/star-brit ... e--4480380
I just leave it on the boom while out daysailing. I varnished the toggles to protect the wood and to make them easier to slide into the eyes; it just makes a very nice tidy package.
I looked at making my own centipede system, but the small savings didn't justify the hassle.
COOL!!
Matt Ashenden
- I used to like boating and fixing stuff, then I bought a couple of boats and now I just fix stuff :)

Oh, and please check out my webpage... http://VaRivah.com