Teak & Holly?

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

K Chiswell

Teak & Holly?

Post by K Chiswell »

I'm looking for a 2' x 4' piece of teak and holly ply to repair part of my cabin sole. All the plywood I can find the teak is 2 3/8 with 1/4 holly. On our boat the teak is 2 1/8 with 3/8 holly. I would live with the holly being a little narrow if the pattern would line up but the new stuff is a 1/8" wider.

I'm prepared to make my repair with solid stock. But it would be a lot easier to buy a peace of plywood. Does anyone know where we can get teak and holly that matches our boats?

Thanks
Keith

Re: Teak & Holly?

Post by Keith »

If you have a table saw you could groove out the teak laminated plywood and inlay strips of holly. This would allow you to have a perfect match.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

K Chiswell wrote:I'm looking for a 2' x 4' piece of teak and holly ply to repair part of my cabin sole. All the plywood I can find the teak is 2 3/8 with 1/4 holly. On our boat the teak is 2 1/8 with 3/8 holly. I would live with the holly being a little narrow if the pattern would line up but the new stuff is a 1/8" wider.

I'm prepared to make my repair with solid stock. But it would be a lot easier to buy a peace of plywood. Does anyone know where we can get teak and holly that matches our boats?

Thanks
A previous owner found it necessary to replace the small section of floor in my forward cabin. It does not perfectly match the holly spacing but is close. They chose to perfectly match the centerline and let the rest fall slightly out of square. I know it's not original but I've never had anyone else notice it.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Try boulter plywood
888 958 6237
tvangilder

Post by tvangilder »

I purchase holly from the local sawmills, but you can also get it through Hearne's http://www.hearnehardwoods.com/

They also sell teak.
Thad Van Gilder
CD36 #53 "NIrvana"
Home Port: Rock Hall, Md