Sail Care

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Sail Care

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

A while back I sent the mainsail for my CD28 in to Sail Care for cleaning. They sent back a quote of $544.09 for cleaning and repairs. The only thing that seemed a little high was sewing on the logo, numbers and draft stripe (so they wouldn't come off during the cleaning process). That was 96.00 of the total. But I gave the go ahead as I felt the price overall was fair. Certainly far less than the price for a new sail which wasn't gonna happen under the admiral's current budget.

Sail came back just before Christmas. WOW! To say I'm impressed understates the case. If it doesn't look new it certainly doesn't look like it's been used more than one season. The true test won't be until I sail with it in spring, but at this point I am one very satisfied customer. They added telltales, repaired slides and shackles, repaired batten pockets and redid the whole leech line setup. Done quickly and delivered to my door. Can't ask for more than that.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Re: Sail Care

Post by Skeep »

That is a glowing recommendation.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

I have to concur with Jerry. SailCare has refurbished 2 sets of sails for me over the years and I recommend them without reservation. Their system of cleaning, repair, and processing really puts the 'snap' back in a used sail. Very professional outfit.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
oldragbaggers

Post by oldragbaggers »

Another thumbs up for Sail Care. They did the sails for our CD-28 as well, and did a beautiful job. We sent them limp, lifeless, dirty sails and they sent us back crisp, white sails that were a joy to use.

Unfortunately they were not able to do the same for the dry rotted sails we sent them for our CD-33. But they were honest and told us point blank the sails were not worth bothering with.
Lance & Becky Williams
Happily retired and cruising aboard our dreamboat, Anteris
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/anteris/
https://www.facebook.com/oldragbaggers
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Add my name to the list of Sail Care fans. I sent them my old, limp, rust-stained working jib, after my sailmaker (who is great otherwise) advised me that it was at the end of its life. It came back snow-white and crisp.

Truth be told, I don't use the small jib very much, because it's easier to reef (actually roll up) my 135 genny most of the time. But when I do put up the small jib, it still looks brand new.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Farmer Wayne

Post by Farmer Wayne »

I agree with everyone else. I had them clean and repair my Genoa in March of 2015. i was told that the Sunband was shot and needed to be replaced. Not to shabby considering my sail was 12 seasons old. They gave me a price for repair and cleaning along with new telltales and two cleats of $395.53, so I gave them the go ahead.
UNBELIEVABLE, no way in hell would you ever think that sail was not new, in addition I found out that the genny was a 150 not a 130 and now I can point a few degrees higher!!.
Bottom line, Sail Care Inc. is the only way to go.

Farmer Wayne
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

I have had my 30 year old sails to Sailcare and agree with previous posts. Just be sure not to expect that the treatment will tighten up the shape of your sail, i.e. make it flatter or move the draft forward.

Our old Genoa went in for a treatment three years ago and looked good coming back. I had sewn it up myself each year including a particularly big job after the leech blew out in 50 knots crossing Lake Superior one spring. I figured I would try Sailcare and keep the sail for a few more years while considering whether to sew up a Sailrite one myself or buy new. The Sailcare process cleaned it up very nicely and they tidied up some rough edges and seams from my old repairs. They did very nice work. When I finally retired it and got a new Genoa last year, the difference in sailing performance was significant - better pointing, less heel and even a wee bit faster on a reach. Our dock mates thought I was particularly happy last season!

I'd consider the shape of your sail. If you have a dirty, bagged-out sail when you send it into Sailcare, you will get a clean and crisp bagged-out sail back from them. The process will not change its shape but it will clean it and fill up the warp and weft of the sailcloth making it look and feel like new again. Its well worth it in my mind if its shape is still good and you plan on keeping it bent on.
Paul
CDSOA Member
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

I thought I should update this thread now that I've had a chance to hoist the sail.

I launched late this season and when I went to insert the battens they did not fit fit. They were longer than the batten pockets. I was very puzzled by that. I was on vacation right after launching and away from the boat. I thought I would send Sail Care and email and maybe I would have some answers when I returned home. To my amazement they phoned me almost immediately. I was expecting an email at best. I wasn't able to take the call and so I figured I would call them back the next day. The next morning my phone rang and it was Sail Care. I explained the issue and they were puzzled but said they would have Fed Ex pick up the sail the same day and they would work with me to make it right. I was amazed. Since I was not at home and did not want to delay my season which was behind the 8 ball already. I just asked if I was doing something wrong. They said no. But they couldn't understand why this had happened. They take steps to be sure the pockets remain the same. I said as long as I was inserting them correctly I would just trim the battens. I did so with a Dremel tool. 4 battens and the trim ranged from half an inch to slightly over one inch. I drilled new holes for the barrel bolts and went sailing. All seems fine.

I remain puzzled by what happened but I could not have asked for a better response from Sail Care. I couldn't have scripted a better customer service response. I fault myself for not checking the battens when I got the sail back well before the season started. You know the old saying about assume.

The boat sails fine and I do not notice anything different about the battens performance.
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Post by rjnale »

I also used Sail Care this past spring for the sails on my new to me Typhoon Daysailer.
I used their inspect and estimate the repair service. The main was rough, batten pockets frayed and Velcro tabs shot, luff rope in very bad shape... I was expecting to buy a new one. The 150 genoa (on roller reefing) was very dirty and a few bad stitches and worn sunband. They sent back a quote for cleaning and repairs for far less than a new main and fair price fixing up the jib including new sunband, leech and foot. The main didn't have reef points like my Ty Weekender so asked to add 1 set.
Jerry and I must be on the same schedule, we just launched the boat yesterday! When I unwrapped the sails for the first time yesterday to attach to the roller reefing and boom they were beautiful. But no reef points!!
The woman I spoke to today confirmed the revised work order for the reef points never got added but was charged. She offered to have the sail picked up by Fed Ex and fixed or refund my account. We settled on they will cover shipping and add the reef points after the season ends.
Tomorrow I'm heading out to check that the battens fit in the pockets!!
I am very happy with their service and great customer attitude. The sails look great our dock mates thought we bought new sails.