Cape Dory 25 - Lazarette deck (supposed to be) cored or not?

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jmj.20051

Cape Dory 25 - Lazarette deck (supposed to be) cored or not?

Post by jmj.20051 »

Hi, I have a 1974 Cape Dory 25 that is a project in the works. I have a question regarding the aft deck (lazarette)....not the hatch that opens which covers the outboard well, but the actual deck upon which the hatch cover sits. Is the aft deck supposed to have a plywood/balsa core, or is it just about a 3/8" thick lamination of fiberglass? The reason I ask is a) mine doesn't have a plywood/balsa core and b) there are no backing plates for the aft cleats which surprises me somewhat. I appreciate any guidance other '25 owners could provide, or possibly a quick photo showing the underside of the lazarette.
Keith

Re: Cape Dory 25 - Lazarette deck (supposed to be) cored or

Post by Keith »

Hi jaj,

I have a CD30C not a CD25 so I can't help with a direct comparison but do have a question and comments for you to think about.
a) How do you know that there in no plywood/balsa core? Did you already cut it open?
b) Regardless of the construction of the rear deck (solid or cored) you absolutely need backing plates. You can go with the default that CD used which is aluminum but I would suggest G10. Either way put those backing plates on before you launch.

Good Luck with your project

Keith
jmj.20051

Post by jmj.20051 »

Keith, thanks much for the reply.

To answer your first question I know it's not cored because there are two 3" holes in the aft deck where cowl/air vents were placed to provide ventilation for the outboard well. The cross section of those holes shows me that there is no core, but if I hang upside down and look at the bottom side of the aft deck I can see, around the perimeter of the deck, what appears to be the remains of a removed plywood core. I want to ensure that the '25 actually HAD a fully cored aft deck (versus just strips of plywood 'glassed to the underside of each side to which the cleats were through-bolted, acting as backing plates) before I go through the trouble of Divynicell'ing the whole core back in there.

Agreed on the backing plate part (regardless of core).

I appreciate your input and guidance, thank you.

Btw you aren't in the SC area are you? There's a gent named Keith a few slips down from my 'it sails' boat (not a CD) on Lake Hartwell who owns a CD30.
Keith

Post by Keith »

HI jmj,

I'm on Cape Cod a few miles from SC. :-)

I'm a bit confused by your description. If the plywood core was removed they would have to have cut out the bottom section of the laminate to expose and remove the core material. On the 3" holes they could have epoxied around the perimeter of the holes to seal them up which is the correct thing to do. One way you could check is to drill a small hole through the deck down or from the underside up and see if you go through a core. It would be easy to epoxy the hole after. The underside up would be less intrusive and not show after unless you are standing on your head. Your preference.

Just a suggestion.

Keith
jmj.20051

Post by jmj.20051 »

Keith, thanks for the input.

I understand what a cored deck should look like (outer skin/glass, core material, innner laminate/skin) and on my CD25 there is no bottom laminate or core...only the deck, one side I can see from the underside (unfinished) and the other the finished topside...as stated below that layup is about 3/8" thick and is solid 'glass.

I'm not asking how to determine if I have a cored aft deck on my CD25...I know that it isn't cored. I also know how to replace the core material if needed, but my question is...on a CD25's aft deck, as it came from the factory...was it a cored deck or not...because mine currently isn't, but I have a sneaky suspicion that it was, at one time, cored and the P.O. removed the inner laminate and the core material but I'd like to confirm with others whether or not their aft deck is cored.

-Jonathan.
Keith

Post by Keith »

Got it Jonathan,

You'l just have to wait for those CD25 owner to respond. Come on guys and girls give Jonathan some loved!

Keith
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

Keith wrote:Got it Jonathan,

You'l just have to wait for those CD25 owner to respond. Come on guys and girls give Jonathan some loved!

Keith
It's January in northern New England. My CD25 has a tarp over it. The tarp has some fresh snow on it. I guess you may get the picture. My CD25 has all of the internal bulkheads removed at the moment in preparations for a through working. Once I get a sunny warm day, I will be willing to check things, but I'm being a fair weather sailor today!

The CD25 was "gutted" to fully clean the insides AND to add an electric inboard for in port maneuvering and motoring up to 20 miles. For anything other than that, an outboard can still be used or a generator temporarily used in the lazarette. It is a long-term project that got interrupted but a house project that started as"screened in porches" but morphed into a much larger one. In the meantime I have been enjoying my Capri 22. All I need to do is reduce the time I spend on the day job...
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Keith

Post by Keith »

Hi John,

Interesting! You have recreated a true hybrid with the electric inboard and the option of the internal combustion outboard. See my post on Converting to Electric Power

Keith
pete faga

Post by pete faga »

Jonathan
Sent you a PM
You might consider moving this thread to the main message board also
Pete
fishsail

Post by fishsail »

I have a '75 25' I don't think the deck is cored, I am almost finished with my re-furbish job and I was inspecting the chain plates for the shrouds and those don't have backing plates either, I'm wondering if they laminate them in the fiberglass?