Dreaming of Spring

Share photos of your boat as well as photos snapped from your boat. Show us how and where you use your boat.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Keith

Dreaming of Spring

Post by Keith »

Here are a few pics that get me through the winter as our first snow is falling on Cape Cod this evening. This was a day in early May 2014. Blowing 27 or 28 kts and 6 foot rollers as I recall. What amazed me about the first pic is that you can actually see the rudder and screw opening through the vail of water. In the second pic you can see the a wave had just washed under me
MOON DANCE.OSTERVILLE MA.S30.11 copy.jpg
MOON DANCE.OSTERVILLE MA.S30.11 copy.jpg (4.45 MiB) Viewed 840 times
MOON DANCE.OSTERVILLE MA.S30.12 copy.JPG
MOON DANCE.OSTERVILLE MA.S30.12 copy.JPG (7.95 MiB) Viewed 840 times
PS These were taken by boat pics. I was the only boat in Nantucket Sound that day and this small MASH type chopper with no markings on it circled me twice. At the time I assumed that he thought that I was in distress and was checking on me and observed that I was just fine and flew off. I thought nothing of it and then around December I received a tube in the mail with one of the pics. I said no way that I'm paying for this. The Admiral says you know you are going to so just do it. I hate it when she is right! In the end it was worth every penny. I'll post the bow and stern pics as well.
Keith

Re: Dreaming of Spring

Post by Keith »

Here is the bow views.
MOON DANCE.OSTERVILLE MA.S30.08 copy.JPG
MOON DANCE.OSTERVILLE MA.S30.08 copy.JPG (5.36 MiB) Viewed 839 times
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

VERY Nice Pics

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Keith:

Really nice photos. Thanks for sharing.

In one of the photos it looks like you installed tie wraps on the spreaders. I assume this is to dissuade birds. Is it effective :?:

I recently saw someone do this at the sailing club. The next time someone goes up mast on S/V Bali Ha'i (not me :!: ) I will ask them to attach a bunch of tie wraps.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Zeida
Location: 1982 CD33 "Bandolera II" Hull #73Key Biscayne-Miami, Florida

Post by Zeida »

Great pictures of a gorgeous CD30 in her element... Congratulations!
Zeida
CDSOA Member
Keith

Post by Keith »

Sorry I forgot to send the pic from the stern. She does have a nice butt doesn't she!!
MOON DANCE.OSTERVILLE MA.S30.18.JPG
MOON DANCE.OSTERVILLE MA.S30.18.JPG (6.63 MiB) Viewed 780 times

Roberto,

Yes, they are tie wraps and they were very effective for 2 1/2 seasons. By the end of August last summer I started to find pieces of them on the deck. Once there were two broken side by side the cormorants took over and broke more and it was a mess for the rest of the season. They are nasty bird there was sh*t, fish guts and fish skeleton everywhere. It would take me at least a half hour every time to clean up before sailing, what a skink and mess.

The problem is that the UV broke down the plastic and it became brittle. I thought about replacing them before launch last year but did not. What a big mistake!! I will replace them very year from now on. You can get a bag o 100 for a buck or two at Harbor freight. I might search out some with UV protection. Not sure if they make them or not.

Keith
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Great pictures!
U V resistant cable ties are an industry standard item. They were stocked where I retired from. This is one of the sources we ordered from.
http://www.uline.com/BL_3209/Black-UV-Cable-Ties
I'll bet you can find them locally without too much trouble.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Keith

Post by Keith »

Thanks for the link Jim, I'm very familiar with u-line. I wonder if they make the UV resistant in white. I'll check it out. The white can barely be seen and I'm afraid the black would stand out like a sore thumb.

Keith
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Keith wrote:Thanks for the link Jim, I'm very familiar with u-line. I wonder if they make the UV resistant in white. I'll check it out. The white can barely be seen and I'm afraid the black would stand out like a sore thumb.

Keith
I believe the U V resistant were only available in black. I'm sure someone here will dispel that belief forthwith. :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Keith

Post by Keith »

I've checked about a dozen web sites and it seems that UV resistant tie wraps are only available in Black. I'll stick with the white ones and replace every year. They only cost a buck or two for a bag of 100 and take a few minutes to cut off and reattach the new ones. Well worth the effort. I spent many hours combined cleaning smelly stinky sh*t and guts off the deck the end of last season.

Keith