Dwyer mast

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

s2sailorlis

Dwyer mast

Post by s2sailorlis »

Anyone have any recent experience with them? I'm looking to upgrade the standing rig for my CD-22.

I called them a week or so ago, asked if they were "going to be around" week between Christmas and New Year's, the gentlemen's response was "i don't know it depends..." Did not give me a warm feeling...then again, perhaps there is a certain quirkiness with this firm, like many in the boating industry..

I know Rig-Rite is the other choice, but I keep hearing "horror stories" from others posting on the site.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Shelby
Location: CD Typhoon/open daysailer...."Liberty".......OKC,OK

Re: Dwyer mast

Post by Shelby »

I did order a replacement mast from Dwyer when mine was stolen (CD Typhoon)....was very satisfied with customer service....mast arrived by truck....packed in a very heavy duty cardboard tube....in perfect condition...gate milled perfectly......exactly where I specified....wanted it to be below the gooseneck....so the sail slides had a uninterrupted trip up the mast....thanks to help on this forum..for measurements.....did the rebuild myself for the spreader bases...and standing rigging

as a side note....I did contact Rig-Rite....and just on the attitude from customer service....I did not order anything from them
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Good afternoon

my only dealing with Dwyer Mast was nothing but high quality and I didn't even buy anything.

You're correct on Rig-Rite!

I have had many dealings with riggingonly.com in RI. Lifelines, anchor line, new rigging and am considering purchasing a new furler from them. They are great to work with! Send them the old rigging set to the appropriate length and in just a few weeks, the new and the old stuff show up at your front door/bridge deck! Great Company with which to deal.......

Fair Winds and Merry Christmas
Bill Member #250.
swhfire21

Post by swhfire21 »

I've used them several times for parts and found them quite helpful
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Dwyer comes Across as Scruffy sometimes but I've never had any problems dealing with them. I live about an hour from them and have stopped by on occasion and they have went out of their way to help me.
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

s2sailorlis wrote:I called them a week or so ago, asked if they were "going to be around" week between Christmas and New Year's, the gentlemen's response was "i don't know it depends..."

Let's look at a few things:
• Between Christmas and New Years, very little business is typically transacted for a marine specialty supplier in New England
• It cost money to have someone "sit by the phone"
• Most people like to have some time off for "vacation" and do whatever they want (like you may do)

From the information you provided, it appeared that they could be available IF you were serious about making a purchase.

Sounds like the person you talked to was being honest about the profitability of that week. Did you give him any reason to want to commit to being open?
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

I replaced my Typhoon Senior mast with one from Dwyer and I was very pleased. Tried Rig-Rite at first, thinking an exact replacement would be best, but after a few attempts to get a quote and delivery estimate I quickly realized that outfit is not just indifferent to their customers, but downright hostile. Search google and you'll see plenty of horror stories. I've seen some bad customer service in my day, but RR takes it to a whole new level. Don't even bother with them.

My rigger actually ordered the mast from Dwyer, but I had some email exchanges with them and they were very helpful. The rigger has ordered lots of stuff from Dwyer and has never had an issue.

The mast came slightly long, which is fine--you can always cut it, unless you're replacing the standing rigging anyway, which I did. Unfortunately my rigger didn't catch the extra length (don't ask me how he missed that), so the new rigging wire he fabricated for me was slightly short. But that was entirely his fault, not Dwyer's.

I would recommend Dwyer.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I have dealt with both Dwyer and Rigging Only. I would never even consider Rig Rite based on the stories I have heard. In both cases, I called first and then went to see them in person. Both shops are impressive and have their specialties. If I was looking for spars or spar hardware then Dwyer would be my choice. Anything to do with rigging wire and it would be Rigging Only. These folks know their business and provide excellent service at a fair price. How could you possible ask for anything more, Steve.
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Steve thanks, I'll probably go with Rigging Only.

Steve Laume wrote:I have dealt with both Dwyer and Rigging Only. I would never even consider Rig Rite based on the stories I have heard. In both cases, I called first and then went to see them in person. Both shops are impressive and have their specialties. If I was looking for spars or spar hardware then Dwyer would be my choice. Anything to do with rigging wire and it would be Rigging Only. These folks know their business and provide excellent service at a fair price. How could you possible ask for anything more, Steve.

s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Of course I told him why I was calling. Several of us were looking to have new rigging done for our boats. Why would I bother calling him to ask if they were open in the first place....?

jepomer wrote:
s2sailorlis wrote:I called them a week or so ago, asked if they were "going to be around" week between Christmas and New Year's, the gentlemen's response was "i don't know it depends..."

• Between Christmas and New Years, very little business is typically transacted for a marine specialty supplier in New England
• Most people like to have some time off for "vacation" and do whatever they want (like you may do)

From the information you provided, it appeared that they could be available IF you were serious about making a purchase.

Sounds like the person you talked to was being honest about the profitability of that week. Did you give him any reason to want to commit to being open?

jepomer

Post by jepomer »

s2sailorlis wrote:Of course I told him why I was calling. Several of us were looking to have new rigging done for our boats. Why would I bother calling him to ask if they were open in the first place....?

jepomer wrote:

Dwyer Aluminum Mast Company is listed as having 10-19 employees.
There is probably very little actual business transacted the last two weeks of December.

I suspect that you did not give a sufficiently strong case for them to open their doors. You may have sounded as if you were window shopping but were not ready to commit to a real order.

It may have been "convenient" for you, but could you have waited an extra week or two to get the pricing and job in the cue?

I suspect that most riggers in the general area would also have little work scheduled to be completed during that time of the year.

I hope you enjoy your time off during this holiday season!
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

"You are not going to find the ideal boat. You are not even going to have it if you design it from scratch."
~ Carl Lane
jepomer

Post by jepomer »

s2sailorlis wrote:Of course I told him why I was calling. Several of us were looking to have new rigging done for our boats. Why would I bother calling him to ask if they were open in the first place....?

jepomer wrote:

Rigging Only's website lists the following notice:
"We will be closed for Christmas holidays beginning 12/24 and reopen on 1/4/16
Thank your for your continued support"

Harken also says their offices will be closed during that time.

Take a few days off yourself. There is plenty of time to get the new rigging!
John
CD25 #622
CPDE0622M78E

~ Carl Lane
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

I enjoy ordering from Dwyer. A small company with practical advice and good service.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina