Non-skid color selection

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

casampson

Re: Non-skid color selection

Post by casampson »

I prefer Cream to Moon Dust.
shavdog

Post by shavdog »

On my cd 22 I used one qt of interlux interdeck beige and one qt of white mixed to alittle lighter color...this is the same color on a J22 I just finished...really...it's not on the side...I found that interdeck should be redone about every three yrs....that's my experience
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Well, despite torrential, record setting rains almost every day in November and December, the "artist/painter" was able to finally prep and apply Awlgrip and Griptex (non-skid) to the deck of S/V Bali Ha'i. She did an excellent job. I think it came out well.

The deck and some of the non-skid surfaces are Oyster White, the same color as topsides. Sections of non-skid near the bow and along the deck port and starboard are Moon Dust. I think it contrasts well.

I have bought an expensive Kodak camera ($10) at CVS and will take some photos. I am not sure but I think I can ask that they be put on a disk. I will then try to see if I can post on this board. I recently tried to post to the "Sandbox" section" an old photo from 3-4 years that is on my computer. It seemed to work although I am not sure how these sailboat photos got on my computer in the first instance. :roll: Hopefully, I can replicate. :)
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

It will be interesting to see how you like the color once it is on the boat. I too think I will be using the Griptex Moon Dust nonskid after applying the Oyster white next year. I love how Jim's Orion looks especially with the nice brightwork. That is how I like my boats too, and worth it to me. My first sailboat had a sad looking light blue non skid when I bought it in Texas, and I freshened it up with Interlux light blue, which looked good until I got used to it. I got tired of blue on the boat, even though the waters I sailed in Tx and La were dirty looking, and certainly not any shade of blue. My second boat had a light grey deck which was too hot in the Florida sun, and I would have eventually changed it to a lighter tan or beige. My third boat decks I painted with Interlux Bristol beige and we thought it was the best color for us. The interlux Brightside non-poly paints I used were rolled out, and made nonskid with crushed walnut shells and worked great, but only lasted a few years. Thus I will do Awlgrip this time.
Good luck with the birds!
BobC
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Astronomertoo wrote:Good luck with the birds!
BobC
Was it really necessary to remind me of them :?:
Here I was with happy thoughts enjoying a Guinness and you go and throw a wet blanket (or should I say bird crap) on my happy thoughts. :D :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Astronomertoo

Post by Astronomertoo »

Ha Ha,
I am sorry, but not to ruin your brew, It is getting to be that time of year again. I do understand. I have the same problem with wasps in the summer in my shed.
Be well and good luck.
BobC
BobC
Citrus Springs, Florida
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Nice J22, Shavdog! One of my favorite boats of all time and I miss ours very much. We sold ours (Hull 887) when we bought our Cape Dory. I wish I could have justified keeping both!
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Well, despite torrential, record setting rains almost every day in November and December, the "artist/painter" was able to finally prep and apply Awlgrip and Griptex (non-skid) to the deck of S/V Bali Ha'i. She did an excellent job. I think it came out well.

The deck and some of the non-skid surfaces are Oyster White, the same color as topsides. Sections of non-skid near the bow and along the deck port and starboard are Moon Dust. I think it contrasts well.

I have bought an expensive Kodak camera ($10) at CVS and will take some photos. I am not sure but I think I can ask that they be put on a disk. I will then try to see if I can post on this board. I recently tried to post to the "Sandbox" section" an old photo from 3-4 years that is on my computer. It seemed to work although I am not sure how these sailboat photos got on my computer in the first instance. :roll: Hopefully, I can replicate. :)
Can't wait to see the results of this arduous journey. I'll bet it looks fantastic.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time