Split Teak Coaming

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Re: Split Teak Coaming

Post by Skeep »

Pursuant to the problem in discussion, I never use my coamings for anything but splash protection. They simply aren't sufficiently durable for tying-to for anything more than to affix the rudder alignment for haul-out. I too have a partial crack in one coaming near the stern end which I baby along. Character.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

Helped a friend with a little Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer he is trying to restore on the cheap. The key to buying teak is shopping and not being afraid to build your board up with strips, glue and clamps from smaller pieces. Hardest part, as mentioned, is removing the old to install the new. $200 in wood, clamps, glue, and a lot of time and patience and it will look like new. You can patch it up by filling, gluing and sanding, but from the looks of the teak, it will only be a band aide solution, but one I would probably opt for personally unless I was restoring the rest to match. To do a proper scarf joint, you would need to remove it, if you are going to remove it, then you may as well replace it. Sand, fill, glue, cetol, and sail. Or remove build, fit, glue, sand and work through half a season, then sail.
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Image[/url]

YesI did the bow tie regimen thing some time ago. If you go that route, you will find that Caqpe Dory installed a screw
in the aft end apex center that needs to be removed if you wish to open the split wide enough to inject epoxy.
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Skeep wrote:Pursuant to the problem in discussion, I never use my coamings for anything but splash protection. They simply aren't sufficiently durable for tying-to for anything more than to affix the rudder alignment for haul-out.
There was a post a while back where someone used a coaming cleat to hold a dock line during a raft up. Bad idea!!!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Gulf Coast Greg

Post by Gulf Coast Greg »

I am replacing my combing boards with African Teak
Greg
S/V Amazing Grace
CD 30 #332
Gulf Coast Greg

image.jpg
image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg
S/V Amazing Grace
CD 30 #332
adamganz

Post by adamganz »

Greg, where did you pick up the teak? Mind telling me how much it was? Also, what are your plans for the 90 degree returns at the front of the boards? Adam
Keith

Post by Keith »

I'm replacing my bow sprit. The old one was oak (I think) with a 1/2 piece of teak on top for asthetics. The rot was so much worse then I had imagined. Glad I decided to replace this winter. I'll post under another thread. They want about $500 for a piece 53" x 10 1/4 " x 1 3/4". I can get a laminate piece for half that. I'm concerned about the strength. Looking for inputs and experience.

Keith
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Laminate will be stronger :!: I would think that with a proper Bobstay set up the only forces on a bowsprit would be longitudinal compression with the forestay canceling out any bending. Now if you add an anchor roller things get a bit more complicated,but I would still prefer laminated over single ply. Amy weakness in the grain of one layer will be reinforced by the other layer. It should stay straighter with less chance of any warping.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

tjr818 wrote:Now if you add an anchor roller things get a bit more complicated, ...
Yes, but only with respect to the anchor and not with respect to the rig, which I suggest is what you mean.

The complication is eliminated if the roller is used for anchor storage, deploying and retrieving only. I lead my rode through a chock and back to a cleat.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Keith

Post by Keith »

Thanks Neil & Tim,

Yes it is my opinion as well that laminated is actually stronger then the single piece of stock but was just looking for a second opinion and third in this case. Yes, I only use the bow roller for storage, deploying and retrieving not anchoring. When I get a bit more time I'll start another thread for my project and post the very ugly pictures. I'm also replacing the steel bow support G-10 I think. Both are out of the boat.

Thanks again
Gulf Coast Greg

The African Teak came from Peeples Exotic Wood in Contonment Florida and cost $270. I plan to use the teak that attaches to the house as they are undamaged and are still pretty thick
Greg
S/V Amazing Grace
CD 30 #332
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Gulf Coast Greg wrote:The African Teak came from Peeples Exotic Wood in Contonment Florida and cost $270. I plan to use the teak that attaches to the house as they are undamaged and are still pretty thick
$270, although quite a few boat dollars. does not seem too bad. What about shipping? This is the only time that I envy those living on the East Coast. Shipping anything over eight foot in length or over anything 20 pounds to STL cost almost as much as the product itself.

I am planning to build a wooden dingy and I am pretty much limited to under 8 foot length, because of shipping, unless I go strip plank and cut my own strips from Home Depot stock.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Ron M.

Post by Ron M. »

Quite a bit of discussion on bowsprits in the archives.
Many CD's, including mine had ash bowsprits. Ash does resemble oak, and is somewhat lighter in color.
I considered using teak but couldn't justify the cost. I chose quarter sawn white oak which is native, stable and rot resistant, (exterior door thresholds were white oak for that reason) .
I laminated 1" x 1-3/4" lengths with 3/8" stainless steel threaded rod , (3) at 90 degrees to the grain. Teak colored oil stain and varnished.
Looks good after 8 years.
CD 30c #42
S/V "Bluesails"
+ 41.69989
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Half of a brass hinge with the slots for pins cut off with a hacksaw makes an excellent stabilizer - oxidizes to a nice green. Fast and cheap and not completely unaesthetic...not the solution if you are into "wood", though.
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)