Does this potential project have any merit

Don't forget to snap some photos while you work on that boat project, then share them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jim1945
Location: 1977 CDTy Weekender #1423, Toledo, Ohio. Sailing Lake Erie, CDSOA #1651

Does this potential project have any merit

Post by Jim1945 »

I love my Ty. Probably the one thing I don't like about it is the shallow cockpit. This is one of the nice things about the daysailer version - a deeper cockpit, more leg room even though not self bailing. I'm thinking about making the seats higher by building a second seat level above the existing seats. This would be made of plywood and sit at the level of the bottom of the coming boards and stand on legs extending down to the existing seats. I would build a lip under the combing boards, on the backside of the cockpit and the back of the cabin trunk to support the seat outside perimeter and use legs on the inside edge of the seat. This seems easily doable and if it didn't look right easily reversible. The good thing about securing it is that your not screwing into cored areas for most of the supporting structure.

Downside. The downsides are less seat back. My view on that is that the combing boards are wide and provide for sufficient support. Also a significant downside is taking away from the original design of the boat. The shallower depth from the top of the combing board also may not look right.

What I want to achieve could also be accomplished by a thicker seat cushion I guess.

Okay, fire away and bring me back to my senses.
Jeff D

Re: Does this potential project have any merit

Post by Jeff D »

Why not just find a DS version? I looked at both and bought a DS because of the seating comfort the feeling of sitting that low in the water.

For a while I had a Bullseye (purchased as a 1 year old) that I had in MA and a then 25 year old Ty DS in NY. When we moved back to MA full time I kept the DS. Although my then 10yo Bullseye was still nearly perfect I could never sit comfortably even on some nice full length cockpit cushions. My DS now 30 yo shows a little of her age but fits me really well. The lack of a self bailing cockpit is no big deal. If rain is forecast I put up the boom tent which eliminates almost all of the water. It would take some pretty extreme conditions to take water over the coamings and the boat theoretically will float even if swamped.
Jim1945
Location: 1977 CDTy Weekender #1423, Toledo, Ohio. Sailing Lake Erie, CDSOA #1651

Re: Does this potential project have any merit

Post by Jim1945 »

Jeff, I would love to have the DS version but not many of them were made, as you know. And I'm in the midwest and Ty's, either version, are not as prevalent as they are on the east coast. Plus, I would have to sell my weekender and that is always a bit of a hassle.

Long ago I looked at the possibly of getting a Bullseye but when I was in MA I managed to stop in Wareham and visit Cape Cod Shipbuilding and sat in a Bullseye. I still remember how low the seats were to the floor. That made it a no-go for me..