Cape Dory sailboats and the Boston Red Sox

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Cape Dory sailboats and the Boston Red Sox

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Protocol on this board requires that all posts be about Cape Dory sailboats or closely related topics.

So, I am the proud caretaker of a 1982 Cape Dory 25D (Hull No. 0069).

That said, I am mourning the end of the season for my beloved Boston Red Sox. They played well but not well enough (78-84). Their manager, John Ferrell, battled a form of cancer this season and was not in the dugout. But he will return next year. Next season I hope to spend a day at Fenway, hopefully when the NY Yankees are in town. :wink:

I love my Cape Dory 25D. "Bookended" :D :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
barfwinkle

Re: Cape Dory sailboats and the Boston Red Sox

Post by barfwinkle »

Well I miss my little Rhapsody badly and should be returning to Pensacola as soon as I return from St Louis and watching the NUMBER ONE team in all of baseball (at least statically speaking 100-62). First game of the NLDS Oct 9th time TBD! Go Red Birds!

Not only do I look forward to seeing Rhapsody come mid-October, but also the Attendees of the 2015 CDSOA, Inc Annual Meeting being held aboard NAS Pensacola Oct 30-31! Yawl come! And I hope to see you there.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
whiterk

Post by whiterk »

I'm living in Gulf Breeze and just inherited a CD Typhoon and I'm recently retired Navy. Do you have more info about the meeting onboard NAS Pensacola? I'm hoping to take my CD out for the first time this weekend, hoping I can sail her since I've never sailed before.
Randall
Steve Kuhar
Pensacola, Fl.

Post by Steve Kuhar »

Randall,

Go to cdsoamasthead.org and read the article announcing the meeting. You are welcome as a guest, just send us a check as stated. At the meeting we will try to beat a years dues out of you and make you a member. You might even want to sail over for the weekend, most of the local fleet will be doing that and we would enjoy having your company.

Steve Kuhar,
Past Commodore, CDSOA
Carl Thunberg

I'm Sorry, but . . .

Post by Carl Thunberg »

maybe I missed the part about them playing well. Last place two seasons in a row is not playing well. I'm not sure we can blame poor performance on John Ferrell's absence. The best thing about this season is that the Yankees are now eliminated, too. How's that for stirring up the pot? Let the sparks fly!
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

finally had to haul my typhoon and put the winter cover on her - however the Red Sox did well the last few weeks - good prospects for next year and only need more good pitching! Now I turn my attention to the CUBBIES!!!!
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

RE: the Cubbies

Vial and loathsome creatures the lot! Go Red Birds!

I should be back in Pensacola next week. Rhapsody is lonely and awaiting a bit of TLC before the Annual Meeting October 30th. See you there.

Fair winds
Bill Member #250.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

RE: The Cubbies.

GO CARDINALS!!!

Make that WAY to go CARDINALS!!!!
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

Oops :(
Now it will get "interesting" :!:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

The Sox (Red) had a miserable season, but the other Sox (with a GM from Boston) are doing better than they do in most decades. I confess that I don't really follow baseball much since my father passed last year--watching the Red Sox was one of the last things we were able to do together as Alzheimer's stripped him of his personality.

But the sailing has been good. I'll have to haul Creme Brulee soon, probably next week.

Look forward to seeing you St. Louis fans, and others in Pensacola.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
tjr818

Post by tjr818 »

Sadly, we will not be going to Pensacola this year. That is the weekend when we are having a Celebration of Life for a dear friend of 57 years who will no longer be sailing with us.
Oh how he loved to get the "scream meter" over to 35 or 40 degrees :!: :!: :D

Next year fellow CD'ers.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Steven_Shore

Post by Steven_Shore »

I'm just completing my first season with my Ty carla.

We got her late last season and she promptly broke free of her mooring in a gale and washed up against a stone seawall and took two fist-sized through hull holes along with 24 holes on the deck, thoroughly damaged teal rails all around, bow pulpet, genny and roller furler destroyed.

From the moment the snows melted in Connecticut, I spent every available hour restoring her, finally launching in late June. Since then she has sailed beautifully, just like the newly restored Mets have since the trade deadline a month after we splashed carla!

With a little luck, the Mets will still be playing after we finally haul carla, early the week after next.

Go Mets!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Steve:

Despite your unfortunate choice in baseball teams to support, that is one outstanding restoration. Absolutely beautiful. :!:

Did you install a new toe/rub rail or splice in a repair :?: If a new toe/rub rail, how did you work in the curvature for the hull :?:

P.S. GO BOSTON REDSOX IN 2016 :!: :D :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Steven_Shore

Post by Steven_Shore »

Roberto,
Thanks so much for the compliment. The sad fact was that there were little more than 2 or 3 contiguous feet of undamaged teak so we removed all the toe and rub rails. The outboard was torn off during the storm, damaging the taff rail so we removed that as well. (I may post a journal of the repair this winter). A friend of a friend is an apprentice cabinet maker with access to milling equipment who sourced a 9' teak board that we drew our rails from. They bent on beautifully, although one section of rub rail snapped up near the port bow that had to be scarfed back in but that worked out pretty well.
Below I have posted a detail of the stern quarter to show a sample of Jeremy's beautiful woodwork. The glasswork was painstaking but relatively easy. We could have never restored carla without Jeremy!
As for the Mets, this is really going to upset you. I am a lifelong Yankee fan who attended two key games of the 78 Massacre. The Guidry 1, 2, 3 double play? I was there! I own an original 'Boston Sucks' tee shirt.
The reason I back the Mets is simple. The day the Mets won their last World Series was the day my oldest son was born. Late that night, when I finally left the hospital to join some congratulatory buddies, New York City was in full party mode. When I left the bar, I left a table covered with maybe 100 shots of Jamesons and the entire bar chanting 'Eddie!, Eddie!, Eddie!' - my baby son's name. Given the events of the day, and the fact that a local team beat the Bosox, I've had a soft spot for the Mets ever since.
I might add that Eddie, a diehard Yankee Stadium Bleacher Creature, thinks I'm a total pussy for showing ANY affection for the Mets...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Steven_Shore wrote:Below I have posted a detail of the stern quarter to show a sample of Jeremy's beautiful woodwork. The glasswork was painstaking but relatively easy. We could have never restored carla without Jeremy!
As for the Mets, this is really going to upset you. I am a lifelong Yankee fan who attended two key games of the 78 Massacre. The Guidry 1, 2, 3 double play? I was there! I own an original 'Boston Sucks' tee shirt.
Steve:

That is really some outstanding finish carpentry work. You are fortunate to have someone like Jeremy.

I had a few damaged areas to my rub rail and toe rail. I scarfed in new teak. It actually came out surprisingly well given my lack of carpentry skills. I have thought of replacing the entire rub rail and toe rail as well as the brass strap on the rub rail but that is very likely well beyond my limited skills.

As for your comments on this board about my beloved Boston Red Sox (and your offensive T-shirt), I will shortly be contacting the CDSOA Commodore (unfortunately for you, he is a devote Red Sox fan :D ) to have your posting privileges severely curtailed. :D :D :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097