Block Island

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Block Island

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Cathy:

If possible, can you share with us a detailed description/identification of where you and Bruce were anchored when you took the photos in Point Judith Pond. I am especially interested in the second photo that shows a large (tall) radio or TV or other type of antenna in the photo. What point of land within Point Judith Pond does that photo depict :?: Thanks :!: :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Not answering for Cathy, just sharing where I anchor when in Pt. Judith. The outer harbor of refuge is too exposed for me. I consider it purely a port of last resort. The inner anchorage is a ways up a winding channel but is far superior for small craft.
In the attached screen shots the blue pushpin indicates my preferred anchoring spot.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (322.77 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
image.png
image.png (360.73 KiB) Viewed 1014 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

Thank you.

I was/am particularly interested in the location and name of the point of land depicted in Cathy/Bruce's second photo showing the TV/radio tower.

Where exactly is that point of land located within Point Judith Pond :?:

Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

It's a shot of the entrance to the inner harbor. Jerusalem is on the west or left and Galilee is on the east or right side of the entrance. The tower is a wind generator primarily but it does have an antenna platform about half way up. I've made a screen shot with a blue pin showing about where the tower is located. There's a macro and micro view for orientation.
Attachments
image.png
image.png (310.63 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
image.png
image.png (344.9 KiB) Viewed 1004 times
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

Thanks very much.

In comparing your charts with Google Earth it looks like the photo was taken from outside of the channel (from the eastside) looking inward toward Judith Point Pond. I think the red roof building in the 2nd photo may be the Salty Landing Restaurant.

Cathy and Bruce:

Again, excellent photos. Thanks.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Jim:

Thanks very much.

In comparing your charts with Google Earth it looks like the photo was taken from outside of the channel (from the eastside) looking inward toward Judith Point Pond. I think the red roof building in the 2nd photo may be the Salty Landing Restaurant.

Cathy and Bruce:

And you "know nothing about computers"...? Hmmm.... :D
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Jim:

Thanks very much.

Cathy and Bruce:

The building with the red roof is the Salty Brine State Beach pavilion. This hyperlink has all the details.
http://www.riparks.com/Locations/Locati ... Brine.html
It even discusses the wind turbine....... :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

Thanks. On Google Earth (at least the old "no fee" version I have) they label it Salty's Landing and identify it as a restaurant. It also appears to have the same street address as the state beach pavilion: https://www.google.com/#q=Salty's+Landing

I am curious about this area because it reminds me of a brief time in my youth many, many years ago. Especially the design and construction material of the surrounding buildings and home. Nostalgia. :)

Thanks again Jim for your help in identifying the specific area within Point Judith Pond. I am very grateful.

Now, "Timothy", I really do not know anything about computers. However, I am fortunate to have a couple of old friends who are inexplicably high tech computer geeks. They have always told me (perhaps in frustration :( ) "just push a bunch of keys. Eventually you will click on something interesting." :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

As the saying goes, “If you put 100 monkeys with typewriters in a room long enough, eventually you’ll get Hamlet.” :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Cathy:

If possible, can you share with us a detailed description/identification of where you and Bruce were anchored when you took the photos in Point Judith Pond. I am especially interested in the second photo that shows a large (tall) radio or TV or other type of antenna in the photo. What point of land within Point Judith Pond does that photo depict :?: Thanks :!: :!:
Bob,

Both photos are captioned. The font is miniscule, but the text is there right above each photo. The first one shows the view from our boat inside Point Judith Pond in Rhode Island and the second one shows the western entrance to Point Judith Harbor of Refuge between the breakwaters. The Harbor of Refuge at Point Judith is a large area surrounded by breakwaters both east and west and a large v-shaped breakwater to the south. It has 2 entrances, one between the western breakwaters and one between the eastern breakwaters. You can anchor inside the breakawaters in a pinch or in good weather but your boat will be pushed around by the strong current and any wind and you'll have to listen to the ocean waves crashing against the breakwaters all night. It's surprisingly loud. Point Judith is the only harbor between Fishers Island Sound to the west and Narragansett Bay to the east. The Harbor of Refuge was created for commercial craft, mainly large fishing vessels, to have some place to go if they can't make it to their homeports in a blow. But pleasure craft that draw less than 6 feet can head up the river, north, into Point Judith Pond. It's a long way in but you'll find a well-protected, quiet and scenic anchorage. There are also marinas on either side of the river near its entrance in Jerusalem and Galilee. Click on the link below to see the chart for Point Judith, Rhode Island.

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/13219.shtml

-Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Jim Walsh wrote:Not answering for Cathy, just sharing where I anchor when in Pt. Judith. The outer harbor of refuge is too exposed for me. I consider it purely a port of last resort. The inner anchorage is a ways up a winding channel but is far superior for small craft.
In the attached screen shots the blue pushpin indicates my preferred anchoring spot.
Jim,

We intended to anchor exactly where you placed your push-pin but we couldn't due to a regatta of small boats that took up that entire area. We wound up anchoring SW of Pine Tree Point on The Foddering Place. You can find it on the following chart:

http://www.charts.noaa.gov/OnLineViewer/13219.shtml

-Cathy
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I really like the idea of the Harbor of Refuge but it is not that great in reality. I kind of like being able to hear the surf at night as long as it stays in the same place. The view of the light house and the birds on the breakwaters at sunset and sunrise are beautiful as well. I have found the holding to be the worst of anyplace I have ever anchored. Very soft mud. It is usually the most convenient place for me to tuck into for a short overnight say on the way to or from Noank when traveling East. I have been back in the pond but it is a very long ride. There doesn't seem to be shore access back there either. I would much rather head out to Block Island if I have a bit more time and not hugging the RI coast.

Cathy, forgot to mention the constant ferry wakes any where out towards the center of the Harbor of Refuge, Steve.