One Particular Harbor

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

One Particular Harbor

Post by moctrams »

A recent fly over of Flag Harbor. I've been here over 30 years and will for more years; hopefully.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxR6V4hvdig
Bob Ohler

Re: One Particular Harbor

Post by Bob Ohler »

Nice video! Which boat is yours? I am tempted to move up from Solomons after watching this.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
moctrams

Post by moctrams »

My boat is up in the yard under a gray cover.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Bob Ohler wrote:Nice video! . . . I am tempted to move up from Solomons after watching this.
Me too :!: (Up from Miami that is :wink: )

Cost of living is not too bad compared to Miami. Weather appears to be OK from past averages, although I am assuming very high humidity in summer months. Hurricane threat should be minimal. Seems like a nice, quiet area.

If anyone else has any personal or anecdotal knowledge of Flag Harbor Marina I would be interested in your thoughts, impressions, etc.

Thank you.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Nice spot. Appears to be an excellent hurricane hole.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

My thoughts on seeing this were that those short piers would make it a real pain to come in bow first. My overall impression is that the marina was really well tucked in. It looks like a nice spot, Steve.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Steve Laume wrote:My thoughts on seeing this were that those short piers would make it a real pain to come in bow first. My overall impression is that the marina was really well tucked in. It looks like a nice spot, Steve.
Steve, we are spoiled. We are in a great cruising area and a fine starting point for offshore runs :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Everything looks better from a drone, I guess..

I like the area generally. There's a lot of watercraft in that hole. Wonder how many of those are from out of town, i.e., up north, DC and so forth. Is it crowded getting in and out on weekends? i.e. a we-they thing of locals versus the out of town folks..?

Looks very protected however.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Let's just say that we spent time last evening looking at the chart and analyzing the cruising options from Flag Harbor! (Nothing says romance more than Cape Dory talk.) I have been told before that it is essentially a hurricane hole. And there are a fair number of CD's in there too. The slip lengths don't concern me as they have multiple length slips at Flag Harbor.
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
moctrams

Post by moctrams »

I love going out of Flag Harbor in my sail boat. After passing the jetties, I put her into the wind and raise sails all in a manner of minutes. The only time the harbor gets busy is when the fishermen go out, early in the am. We dredge every spring to a MLWM of around 7 feet. When I want the best burger on the bay, I go up to St. Leonard at the “Tavern” for a beer and a burger. John Little has run the Marina business for over 30 years and is great to work with. John and crew replaced my old Volvo with a new Beta at a reasonable cost. He also fixed the soft decks and repainted the top side while I was in Iraq. He bought a new travel lift a few years ago and all boats have ground cloths under them. He collects all the water from power washing the boats on haul out for recycling. I have come into the harbor when it was blowing 30 knots and once inside the trees, you have a real calm. The marina was rebuilt three years ago and the docks were raised in anticipation of rising sea levels. I would not even think about keeping my boat at any other harbor.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

That is awesome. We're on the way!
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Skeep wrote:That is awesome. We're on the way!
I call "first dibs". :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tmoroney75

Post by tmoroney75 »

Great video! Hmmm I wonder if those drones are launchable from a sailboat...

This is my first year at Flag Harbor for my Typhoon Senior and can "second" all the great things said about the place. John takes great care of the boats like they're his own and the grounds are very well kept up. Plus the wife and daughter love the pool and 2 mile beach at the inlet, and actually want to come down to the boat; even better!
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

In looking at the website for Flag Harbor it appears that all of the dock slips are privately owned. Some of the slips are "for sale" and some are "for rent". Having lived a very sheltered life I am not familiar with this type of marina. :wink:

What are the advantages/disadvantages to "owning" or "renting" a slip :?: My uneducated assumption would be that it is better to rent. However, if you own then I assume there are monthly or annual "maintenance dues", etc., like a condo association fees.

Thoughts :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:In looking at the website for Flag Harbor it appears that all of the dock slips are privately owned. Some of the slips are "for sale" and some are "for rent". Having lived a very sheltered life I am not familiar with this type of marina. :wink:

What are the advantages/disadvantages to "owning" or "renting" a slip :?: My uneducated assumption would be that it is better to rent. However, if you own then I assume there are monthly or annual "maintenance dues", etc., like a condo association fees.

Thoughts :?:
Roberto,
I am not sure how it is at Flag Harbor, but at Harbor Point (our marina), it is a "dock-o-minium". Some slips are for sale, some are for rent by owner. We own and the only difference is that we get a real estate tax bill every year and an electric bill for our own electric usage each month. I feel that dock owners care a bit more about the marina because it is their "investment", they seem to be the ones that pick up the cigarette butts, and turn off the water. Ours is a not for profit marina, just like my "investment" in Slainte :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27