Good Old Boat review of CD 27'

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gates_cliff

Good Old Boat review of CD 27'

Post by gates_cliff »

In the most recent issue of Good Old Boat there's a nice review of CD 27s and I'm quoted. Prompted by an announcement on this board about a request for information I happily submitted my thoughts.

Well, the magazine of course edited what I sent and it came out as only pointing out negatives. My comments, as originally submitted, listed mostly accolades and I had had to think for awhile to come up with "cons" to include. I love my boat and just yesterday was out for a nice solo sail across the Chesapeake and back and I kept thinking how lucky I am to have such a sweet sailing boat.

I plan to send the magazine a note in hopes of correcting the impression that I'm unhappy with my boat!
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
ariasis

Re: Good Old Boat review of CD 27'

Post by ariasis »

Wonder if this is what they did with the Typhoon review they did earlier this year. I thought it was quite negative, but I'm biased.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I hate to bash GOB, but I felt the same way. I sent them three paragraphs praising our 27 and the cut that down to one sentence. The complaint (backing up) was covered in full. :(
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Actually, as a charter subscriber to GOB - whose first cover had my friend's CD30 cutter - I am used to how they review boats. They do want balancing comments which is a good idea for a mag. I was quite surprised though when, upon opening the magazine recently I found a segment of my quote on the Typhoon which was the negative portion of course. None of my superlatives were in there and the quote was from about decade ago as well. Hence my surprise. I suppose they felt the article was glowing enough! I also heard one of the editors perhaps is a little biased against our heavy displacement, full keel type vessels, c'est la vie.

You have to admit though, the article does a pretty fair job describing a CD. Our boats are not racers, and while I am sure I am guilty of telling a wee tall tale about how fast Femme blew by a longer, newer design that should have creamed her, I concede the CD's come up short in some ways others deem a priority.

p.s. I have documented evidence though of sailing faster in light air than a Catalina 36! I think part of it was due to his sail trim though. I confess to thoroughly enjoying it!
Paul
CDSOA Member
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

The author stated that the ability to hand crank start the Yanmar gave him a measure of comfort. I had the same engine and try though I did--as did many others--during the 18 years we owned TIA MARI no one ever cranked it to a start. Many techniques were tested; none worked.

Anyone ever hand start a Yanmar 8 on CD27?

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where I'm never cranky.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I had a YSB-8 in an Ericson I owned in the 70's. It started every time I tried it with the hand crank. I only did it a couple times each season just for the hell of it. It was a work-out to get up some speed with the hand crank though. I was a little younger too.....
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

S/V Bali Ha'i was transferred to me with the original hand crank for the Yanmar 1GM secured in a storage bin. I was surprised it survived more than 28 years. To me, that said something reassuring about the two prior caretakers.

I seem to recall either the owner or the surveyor explaining to me what the hand crank was for and then adding words to the effect of "Pray you never have to try using it". :wink:

Now with Jim W.'s challenge on record I guess I will have to try hand cranking once S/V Bali Ha'i is back on her mooring at the sailing club. If successful you will read about it first here. If unsuccessful, this post will be a distant and long forgotten memory. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Post by Wingaersheek II »

First let me say that I love my CD 27. I love the simple/sturdy design, the salty looks, the teak and the bronze hardware, the way she handles and her comfortable motion through the water. While certainly no club racer, she is surprisingly fast. Just a few comments after reading the article:
  • * I wouldn’t go so far as to say “trying to back under power is nearly impossible”, but would agree it can be a bit of a crap shoot.
    * I chuckled about idea of starting my engine with the hand crank. It’s more likely I would dislocate my shoulder in the process.
    * I suspect the boat is “totally underpowered with a Yanmar YSB8” since the 2GM in mine seems to be just about perfect.
    * I agree “the original electrical system is insufficient for today’s needs” and have replaced mine.
    * I disagree “the original icebox is practically useless”, but perhaps if this was indeed the case the original owner of my boat may have added insulation.
All that said, I found the article to be a fair representation of the boat overall.
Last edited by Wingaersheek II on Sep 23rd, '15, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Wingaersheek II wrote:...* I disagree “the original icebox is practically useless”, but perhaps if this was indeed the case the original owner of my boat added insulation.
I see you sail in Port Washington, WI. That is where we bought Slainte, our 27, six years ago. Perhaps in Port Washington the ice box is adequate, but in Saint Louis the water temperature runs in the mid 80's and the air temperature can hit 100 plus. The first block of ice can barely cool down the ice box and the second block melts just a bit slower than it would sitting on the parking lot. I would love to add insulation, but the only place there is any room is inside the box :!:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

tjr818 wrote:
Wingaersheek II wrote:...* I disagree “the original icebox is practically useless”, but perhaps if this was indeed the case the original owner of my boat added insulation.
I see you sail in Port Washington, WI. That is where we bought Slainte, our 27, six years ago. Perhaps in Port Washington the ice box is adequate, but in Saint Louis the water temperature runs in the mid 80's and the air temperature can hit 100 plus. The first block of ice can barely cool down the ice box and the second block melts just a bit slower than it would sitting on the parking lot. I would love to add insulation, but the only place there is any room is inside the box :!:
When we owned TIA MARI 1979 CD27, there was no insulation between the icebox and the engine. Actually there was no insulation period. After years of wondering if the food had spoiled, I added insulation. I placed aluminum screening around the outside of the icebox and used it as a "fence" for expanded foam insulation, which I blew in place. I think I used two cans of foam. I trimmed the foam back to the screen and painted it with CD bilge blue. Not the neatest job, but ice lasted many days even when I used the engine.

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where block ice is mighty hard to find.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Post by Wingaersheek II »

My icebox definitely has some insulation around it. The icebox is encapsulated inside a larger fiberglass enclosure with (presumably) some insulation in between. It looks to be original to the build since the material and paint (gelcoat?) seems to match the rest of the space.
Northoceanbeach

Post by Northoceanbeach »

I thought it was a decent review and fair. The author didn't get to sail in more th an light air, so didn't really get to feel the power and strength. The two biggest benefits in my mind.

The interior review was fair. It does lack storage space. If you look back about a year when I first got my boat I made a post on where is all the storage is.
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Oh, I agree that the article was a fair review. I was only concerned that my comments might suggest that I'm not a very happy CD owner!!!!!
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide