Typhoon vs. Rhodes 19

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

casampson

Typhoon vs. Rhodes 19

Post by casampson »

I left the harbor tonight fairly even with a Rhodes 19. She sailed away from me easily once we entered the outer harbor and encountered heavier wind. She pointed higher, as well, which was no surprise. Can anyone explain why another 19-foot boat would be so much faster than a Typhoon? It was a little depressing, to tell you the truth.
Jim Walsh

Re: Typhoon vs. Rhodes 19

Post by Jim Walsh »

The Rhodes 19 weighs about a third less than a weekender and has more sail area. It's my Corvette Grand Sport VS your Ford Focus :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
pjust

Post by pjust »

The Rhodes 19 also has a fin keel compared to the full keel of the Typhoon: less wetted surface, so less friction through the water.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

There are fin keel and centerboard versions of the Rhodes 19. They have always been regarded as a performance sailboat.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Don't worry about it. Your Typhoon is at least twice as classy, and in a gale you will be still sitting back relaxing they'll be hanging on by their finger nails.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
casampson

Post by casampson »

I may have been burned by the Rhodes 19, but today I sailed with a Sea Sprite 23 (in 10 mph winds with gusts to 15 mph or more) and stayed very close. We sailed side by side for about a mile, with him gaining only a little ground. I wasn't able to keep up on the way back to the harbor, but, overall, I was pleased.
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Agree with Chris, don't be depressed, when the wind is up you'll be out there. When it is light you'll be sipping champagne and enjoying a fine cigar, perhaps discussing world events or some philosophical thread, and life will be good.
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

A Rhodes 19 is a day-sailer only. When you day-sail, you pick your conditions. Both boats have their merits and their loyal following. I have owned and loved both, although mine is a Rhodes 18. One minor correction: it's a bulb keel, not a fin. The bulb gives exceptional righting moment for its size and weight.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
MikeD
Location: Sea Glass (1967 Pearson Ariel #414), Totoro (1977 SS23 #626)

Post by MikeD »

According to the SailboatData website:
Typhoon LWL=13.92', SA/Disp.: 15.66
Rhode19=17.75', SA/Disp: 22.24

He'd BETTER be beating you! You and your Alberg hull do look a lot better though...
Mike
Sea Glass (Pearson Ariel #414)
Totoro (SS23 #626)
Steven_Shore

Post by Steven_Shore »

When I'm on my Ty I ain't racing...
(unless I happen to see another Ty)