Wanted: Typhoon trailer

Selling or looking for a Cape Dory? Selling or looking for used gear? List your "Wanted to Buy" or "For Sale" items here.
N Moore

Wanted: Typhoon trailer

Post by N Moore »

Desperately looking for a Typhoon trailer. Must have papers that indicate a builder and date of manufacture. No "homemade" designation. Please send a PM if you have any leads. All help appreciated.
swparis85

Re: Wanted: Typhoon trailer

Post by swparis85 »

Hi,
Not sure what your budget is, but for ~$3k you can get an extendable tounge triad trailer which I think many on this site will agree, is the best trailer that can be had. The extendable tounge is a nice feature, because it lets you back the trailer deep enough to launch from a boat ramp. Just google Triad Trailers and you'll find em. Michael Orro is the guy's name and he knows boats and he makes solid trailers. Here's a pic of my Ty on its new triad trailer:
Attachments
IMG_0413.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG (607.78 KiB) Viewed 236 times
a sailor's joys are as simple as a child's
N Moore

Post by N Moore »

Yes, I would love a new Triad trailer but it is beyond my budget as I will only be using it as a yard trailer and will use a crane to lift the boat out of the water and onto the trailer. Fortunately I have a marina nearby with a travel lift and they will block the boat for me but would surely love to have the boat virtually in my backyard at the yacht club I belong to where winter storage has already been paid for and I have easy access to start restoring the little yacht. C'est la vie. In hindsight I should have restricted myself to a boat with a trailer and a motor. But I got entranced by a nice looking boat with a cool carved nameboard on the transom. It has ended up being much more expensive than anticipated. Lesson learned. Fun to put together a boat project but be aware that the cost might end up way beyond what was expected.
RLW

Post by RLW »

When I bought my Typhoon, I was interested in a basic trailer to get back and forth from the boatyard (2 miles) once a year (winter). My plan was to find a trailer of suitable capacity and have poppets and a keel support welded to it, regardless of what it looked like. I didn't even expect to register it. So off I went to Craigslist, and just my luck (and I really mean it), a fellow Rhode Islander had not one, but two Typhoon trailers for sale. Knowing their scarcity, I ran to the deal and paid top dollar (for preowned) for the Triad float on and off trailer, and left the LoadRite trailer for the next caller, who regretted not getting the Triad. So...I would suggest considering my original plan, as there are lots of trailers out there that can handle 2000 pounds, very reasonably priced, and used poppets should be generally available too. If longer range, over the road transport is needed, I suggest biting the bullet on a new Triad or pay a boat hauler to get it done. When I had a CD 28 I used a boat transport company every spring and fall to put her right next to my garage where I had electricity, compressed air, tools, and at the time a baby monitor (to listen in on the kids) so that I could enjoy my boat year round!
Attachments
IMG_3643.JPG
IMG_3643.JPG (1.71 MiB) Viewed 204 times
IMG_2542.JPG
IMG_2542.JPG (1.97 MiB) Viewed 204 times
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI