How do scuppers function on a Typhoon, and how to unplug ?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

neon

How do scuppers function on a Typhoon, and how to unplug ?

Post by neon »

I have a '78 CD Typhoon which is really a joy but for the second straight year the scuppers are not draining. Last year I was able to clean them by closing the valves and removing some debris from the brass fitting which leads into the hose in the cockpit. I had about a half inch of water in the cockpit this weekend after a heavy rain.
Could someone explain to me how these devices work. Do they drain below the water line ?
How does one unplug them once the boat is in the water ? Compressed Air ?

Thanks for any help you can offer

Dana
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Re: How do scuppers function on a Typhoon, and how to unplug

Post by Jim Davis »

For starters the scuppers in a Typhoon and many small sailboats are quite small and easily clogged. There generally isn't a practical solution other than replacing them with larger ones. That said I have found that using a hand bilge pump often clears them. Something like this ( http://www.walmart.com/ip/Shoreline-Man ... p/16606502 ), put the suction end tightly over the scupper, run the hose over the side and pump till the water runs clean. Alternatively I have also used a garden hose with moderate pressure to blow the crud out.

Other things you can do is try to keep debris from collecting in the cockpit (leaves, trash, dog hair, etc) and making sure your hose runs are fairly short with as few bends as possible. This later can be difficult on the Typhoon.

To answer your other question, yes they drain below the waterline so you want to be sure you close any valves or seacocks. There should only be one per drain. Many folks remove the valve (seacock) in order to eliminate the constriction. I do this on my cockpit drains and just keep a plug tied to the hose. After all the cockpit drains are the only valves normally left open 24/7/365.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Ernie Pollard

Post by Ernie Pollard »

go to home depot and get a sink plunger, cost about $3, add some water to cockpit and use plunger over drain and it will pull up the stuff that's in there. I do it all the time on my typhoon when I first launch after it sits in my yard collecting debris.
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Here is what I use when mine get clogged in the water a drain weasel http://t.homedepot.com/p/FlexiSnake-Dra ... lsrc=aw.ds
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

And here is a post from my blog on how they work. My boat is also a 1978 so they should be the same.

I would not try pulling them apart in the water unless you get real desperate. you are likely to get very wet. You can lube them though through a port on the back.

http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/2014/0 ... d-brr.html
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Dana:

This CDSOA thread may be of some assistance:

http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... ed+scupper

When I cared for my Ty Weekender I found the problem with water in the cockpit was caused by the scupper drain hoses being "looped" in a 360 degree circle causing water to back up into the cockpit.

In addition to other recommendations you should try to make sure that your hoses are stiff enough so they do not collapse on themselves and that they take the shortest, most direct, route to the either the seacock (if you use one) or the thru-hull fitting.

I am not very good at searching prior threads. If you search you will find several (4-5) threads on this issue with many good suggestions to solve your issue(s).

Good luck :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
rjnale
Location: 1982 CD Typhoon Daysailer "Typhoon Mary" Hull #97 model K Syracuse NY

Post by rjnale »

I have a '76 Typhoon and have the similar issue of debris getting stuck in cockpit drains.
I second the sink plunger idea and keep one on board. The one I use is bright yellow, accordion / bellows type cup about 4 inches dia and stubby handle 7 inches high or so. I think I found it at the dollar store for $1! As a prior post mentioned I put a little water in the cockpit, I expand the accordion/bellows while holding plunger with 2 hands set it over drain and give it a quick push down to flush debris down then lift plunger and water in the cockpit drains and pushes the clear. I've made the mistake of plunging up and down and all the crap comes up in the cockpit before if drains out.
When I got my Typhoon last summer the drain hoses were cracking and drying out. So I replaced them but instead of the 360 degree loop someone mentioned, I crossed the port to starboard and starboard to port valve so there isn't a kink or collapse in the hose.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

At the Dollar store, or most grocery stores, you can buy an inexpensive strainer made for kitchen sinks.
They are made of stainless steel screen. Invert them so that the "sump" becomes a hump and place them over the scuppers to keep out most debris. We went one step further and bolted a 4" 1/4 - 20 bolt through the hump. The bolt hangs down through the hole in the center of the scupper grill and keeps the strainer in place. If the flood waters ever go down I will get to the boat and take a picture to post.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
RLW

Post by RLW »

I would recommend against leaving any screens in place when not aboard. They can easily stop the flow with the smallest debris, subjecting the cockpit to flooding. On our other boat I use the drain screens to keep small objects from dropping into the hoses, but if pooped or raining they come off easily. I would not leave them in place when the boat is unattended.
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Agree with Tim, I like my sink strainers!

Still in use: http://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com/search?q=strainers

Even if water accumulates, it seeps through the leaves and debris. But a cover is a great idea too!
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina
Jdpmus

Post by Jdpmus »

I have a spring-type device used to clean my trumpet. It is flexible, covered with vinyl and has a soft bristle end. I use it to clean the scuppers in my CD25 when needed. It rolls up in a case about the size of a snuff can. Not sure if you can get them anymore (mine's from the mid 60s') but check with a music store that sells/rents band instruments.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I had the same problem with my '76 typhoon - I replaced the valves and hoses - the original hoses had become kinked and were "hard" from age. I replaced them with reinforced clear hose and tried to avoid any kinks. It has worked fine for the past 7 years with an occasional plunging of pine needles,maple seeds and whatever. I use a bilge pump but a toilet plunger should also work.