Replacing Typhhon Weekender Cabin Top Tabernacle

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

paul taylor

Replacing Typhhon Weekender Cabin Top Tabernacle

Post by paul taylor »

I would appreciate any tips on removing a broken cast aluminum tabernacle from a Typhoon cabin top. The tabernacle is secured with three slotted flat head screws that I am having trouble removing. Are they actually screws or bolts with nuts that I cant see. My Typhoon in a 1974 model with a horizontal beam? underneath the tabernacle that runs all the way across. I think this 'beam' is solid but it is difficult to tell because it is encased in fiberglass. If they are indeed screws any tips on removing them would be most welcome. despite my best efforts (using a power driver or screwdriver) they wont budge.
(As a matter of interest, my typhoon doesnt have the bronze winch stands that most Typhoon have. Instead it has fiberglass 'elbows' that support the winches)
Thanks for any help,
paul
Paul Taylor
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Re: Replacing Typhhon Weekender Cabin Top Tabernacle

Post by Markst95 »

Paul mine were screws on my 72. I would try something like pb blaster or similar and let it sit. Possibly a little heat but be careful of using too much to melt the fiberglass. Be patient and let it work, reapply, heat, repeat. I had a similar problem with my bronze stemhead but after a few days was able to get them out. Be prepared for some core rot underneath once you get it off.
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Pictures always help! Make sure you are using a quality screwdriver with parallel blade surfaces and not a common American screwdriver with the tapered tip. Kroil or PB blaster combined with a little shock force applied should do it. Use an impact type screw extractor. Image
Have A Nice Day
paul taylor

Post by paul taylor »

Thanks for the help and advice...they were indeed screws and I got one out with wd40 and a good quality screwdriver after heating it up a little. Had to use a grinder to cut off the tops of the other two and then grab the remaining shafts with a wrench.
Doesn't seem to be much if any rot but have filled the holes with epoxy and plan to drill new holes for the new tabernacle....summer sailing here we come!
Paul Taylor