CD 28 info needed

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

volker
Panama city Florida

CD 28 info needed

Post by volker »

Hello all, I have the cape dory 28 and an alberg 30 on my short list to replace the contessa 26 we just sold.I looked at a basket case alberg and really liked the interior ergonomics but haven't located a nice one. I was wondering if someone had the actual headroom and vberth dimensions for the cape dory 28. I am 6 foot tall and about 200 lbs and the little contessa was just unbearable for me. Thanks for any help, Volker
psjanker

Re: CD 28 info needed

Post by psjanker »

I don't have the exact measurement in inches but I'm over six feet and find the headroom fine in my Cape Dory 28....I can pretty much stand up and walk around and haven't every noticed any issue with head room. Closing the door between the cabin and the head is tight especially if the door to the V berth is closed...have to do a series of quarter turns...I love my 28 and the storage is great compared to my Cape Dory 30B.

V/r

Pete
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

psjanker wrote:Closing the door between the cabin and the head is tight especially if the door to the V berth is closed...have to do a series of quarter turns...
That's not exactly an issue related to height. Just saying. :)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
RLW

Post by RLW »

I had a 28 for several years. When I was shopping I chartered a 27 to evaluate it. Although the 27 sailed beautifully, everything was just a bit tight for my 6'1" 230# frame. I then tried a 28, and was very pleased with the differences. I could not stand upright in the 27, but I could in the 28. My shoulders touched the bulkheads in the head of the 27; they did not in the 28! I bought the 28, sailed her for years, and other than the 13 hp Volvo being a little underpowered for currents and headwinds, I loved her. Sold only for the purpose of moving up in size. As you can see from my signature, I am still very fond of the CD boats!
Rich W.
s/v CARAL (a tribute to Carl Alberg)
CD Typhoon #995 (useable project boat) (sold)
s/v Sadie
CD Typhoon #858
s/v Azure Leizure
IP 350 #120
Tiverton, RI
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

Point taken about the quarter turns and the issue not being one of height. ( am only weigh 208) That being said I can still fit into both cockpit lockers! (I do however keep both lids tied open so as to be able to go in one locker and out the other...turning around is difficult!) Wife really likes the layout and the twin doors allow two couples to share the "facilities" with ensured privacy. I will need to check, but the 28 might even have as much or more head room than my 30b which is strange since the 28 has a much deeper bilge.

Pete
volker
Panama city Florida

Post by volker »

Thank you everyone. That was just the info I was looking for..i will post a want to buy add and see what comes up
paul marko

Post by paul marko »

Ditto previous comments on head room. I have owned my CD28 since 1977, I am 6' 4" and have not found head room to be an issue,

Paul Marko

Ixcatl CD 28

Florida
volker
Panama city Florida

Post by volker »

How is that vberth for a big guy?
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

I measured 6' 4" from bulkhead to bulkhead down the center of the v-berth cushion.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

I’ve always slept in one of the main cabin berths so I am not sure, however while laying in the V-berth working on the forward water tank I’ve never had an issue with being able to stretch out. The BO also filled in the V-berth with a set of draws which allows a full use of the entire forward section for sleeping….I normally keep sails up there and use the area for bulk storage.

Bottom line the area is roomy and pretty standard with a head and hanging locker between it and the main cabin and the anchor locker forward of the V-berth.

v/r

Pete
volker
Panama city Florida

Post by volker »

6'4 is adequate for a vberth likely will only have grandkids up there but it is nice to be able to get out of each others way for a while. We are going back to the exumas this winter so I will likely be filling it with "stuff" anyway. When I unloaded our contessa 26 it came up about 5 inches . I expect the CD28 will be better able to handle 1000 lbs of gear
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

The settees are 6' 3" between the bulkheads... The angle in the v-berth gives you an extra inch as the bulkhead distance is the same.

With insert, queen size sheets are too small for the v... We have a strong preference for sleeping there... Also nice to have a separate sleeping cabin if wake up times don't coincide.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
volker
Panama city Florida

Post by volker »

Thanks again
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

One can also exit the v-berth via the hatch...so long as one can still fit into lockers and can 1/4 turn in the head.

Pete
volker
Panama city Florida

Post by volker »

We may all be getting beamier as we get older but none of us will be getting any taller :)