new Ty jib and roller furling help

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

katiekb

new Ty jib and roller furling help

Post by katiekb »

Well, I am informed by Northsails that my new jib for my Ty Weekender is 104%. And that is for a roller furling set-up. I am really disappointed as I hoped for a bigger headsail and reef/roll to the desired size based on conditions. Also, thought I stipulated for Schaeffer CF-500, but he said it is for cdi, but probably will work on a Schaeffer. I haven't purchased my system yet.
I think I made my first new purchase mistake for my Typhoon :-(
So...

Should I just go with the less expensive CDI system, since the jib size is not what I wanted anyway?
For lighter wind, what do I do? I read on some thread that I could take down the working jib off of the RF and hank on a genoa--is that true? And if so, does one system lend itself to this task more easily?

I was really hoping for a nice jib/genoa size for light air downwind..... unless I'm totally deluded and none of this matters anyway. I do have a MPS so maybe just use that more?

thanks, hope everyone is having a great start to summer!

Kathryn
casampson

Re: new Ty jib and roller furling help

Post by casampson »

That's odd. When I talked with North Sails (via email) last year, the rep -- who happened to be a VP -- recommended a 130% roller furling jib because the winds are stiff here in Buzzards Bay. Perhaps they got your order wrong, and you can get them to make you what you thought you were getting. Mine was also to be on a CDI furler, but that was what I asked for.

Best of luck straightening it out.
katiekb

Post by katiekb »

I think I made a mistake when I said I wanted a 130 jib and he said that it "wouldn't fit," but would have the sail designer make it a "large as possible." He was a young kid, probably new, and I just couldn't understand why he didn't know anything about typhoons, I sent him whatever measurements he needed from this cape dory site and others and pictures of the boat. Oh ugh. I went with North Sails because they are local and Charlie Enright worked there ;-).

Can I just return the jib and ask to make it a hanked on jib and then just get a hanked genoa and call it a day? My husband is going to kill me.....
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

I cannot believe that North Sails wouldn't make this right for you :!:
Call them. Tell them what you have told us - and that you have told us, and see what they offer.
Please keep us informed.
Best of luck,
Last edited by tjr818 on May 30th, '15, 08:03, edited 1 time in total.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

hi Kathryn- I don't know about your specific area but I sail out of Bullocks Cove- Barrington and have never wanted anything larger than my working jib which I assume is about a 100. I have many time wanted to be able to furl it even smaller. Maybe over in Tiverton your winds might be less.
casampson

Post by casampson »

Here's an email I received from Brad White of North Sails in January:

Hi Chris,

We sell the FF2 w/ bearing for $509.00 plus $45.00 shipping.

My experience has been that boats such as the Typhoon weekender appreciate a bit bigger rather than smaller sail for the extra horsepower in lighter winds.

Most people who seek a sail with a wide wind range settle on the 130% size sail. It can be affectively reefed down to about 90-100% size yet when sailing in light air it is big enough to help make the boat zip along.

If a customer is looking at simply the easiest sail to handle regardless of performance they may settle on the self tacking jib which would be about 85-90%size.

So there is a trade off between performance and ease of handling. That said, I know Marion tends to have strong breeze particularly later in the day so perhaps the self-tending jib would be best.

Regarding how to set up your boat, you may want to consult a local rigger or also the CD Typhoon class association. Someone there may have great ideas you can copy. In short you would need about an 85-90% size sail and it would sheet onto a bridal or some traveler arrangement forward of the mast. This is where boat ownership is fun. There are lots of ways the self-tender can be put together, some better than others, and a boat is sort of like a Lego kit- you can do all kinds of stuff, but for sure someone has figured out a good and workable solution.

Please let me know the course you decide to take and I'll help as I can

Happy sailing

Brad

I never did get the roller furling jib, although I wanted one, because of cost. I do have a hank-on genoa, which is a sweet sail when the wind is light. I've only used it two or three times, however, because the wind is pretty stiff here in Buzzards Bay. I plan on investigating the self-tending jib someday, as it is a challenge for me to tack in and out of my harbor with the standard two-sheet set-up. Good luck sorting out your situation.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

I currently use a 130 % genoa with a CDI #1 roller furler on my Typhoon. I bought the CDI from Rigging Only - my favorite supplier because of their assistance and knowledge. They recommended a CDI #2 but I went with the #1 with a smaller diameter furling line and it works fine. The main difference between the working jib and the 130 is that the working jib sheets inboard and the boat points higher. The 130 sheets to the rail and you lose about 5-8 degrees of pointing ability. When you roll the 130 down to 100% you must move the genoa cars forward to the shrouds - requiring a longer genoa track than what came standard on the typhoon. You do lose a lot of pointing ability when you roll the genoa down unless you move the car forward. I found that the jib worked fine but the genoa with roller furling is VERY convenient for starting out on a sail and when coming into the mooring or dock - just furl and coast! The only thing that I would do now is to either move the genoa track forward about 10 inches or get a new longer one. I retained the old forestay and jib in case I want to use the older system but so far haven't needed to do it. I sail on Lake George in NY and previously on Lake Champlain. Make sure that you install a topping lift from the end of the boom to a turning block at the top of the mast and cleated near the base of the mast so you can drop the main and sail in with the roller furling sail - it makes it easier to sail single handed when entering and leaving the dock or mooring. Make sure that the new 105 genoa will sheet to the inboard track on the cabin top - or send it back for the correct sail. Once you go to a roller furler it is not possible to hank a sail over the furling foil. You need to change forestays. SO, if you get the CD furler, have a new forestay made with the appropriate fittings and save the original forestay in case you want to go back to the hanked on sail. Rigging Only would be a big help in doing this. Good luck with the selection, the Ty is a wonderful boat.
katiekb

Post by katiekb »

Thanks everyone. I started out asking for a 130 jib, but I let him talk me out of it. And I do have genoa tracks but I didn't mention it because I didn't know enough, so maybe that is why he thought it wouldn't fit.

Any thoughts on if I keep the RF jib as is, how to best use it and still be able to use a genoa/130 jib by taking the RF off (which I realize is not the point...) Or do I ask North Sails to change it to hanked on. I'm thinking cost-wise as well realizing to keep as is and purchase the cdi will be the relatively least expensive. I doubt that they would switch out for a 130, but I will ask.

I do appreciate everyone's advice.

And on a different note, I just met a new CDA neighbor up the road through our board--so exciting!

cheers,

Kathryn
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

My boat came with a roller furling.Genoa but no furler. So I just put hanks on it it was no.big deal. I did the nylon ones they clipped right on over the tape drive. I have to say I consider changing them out for brass ones from time to time when they jam but the nylon ones clipped on really easily then you put in two screws.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
katiekb

Post by katiekb »

Again, thanks everyone for your thoughtful comments. Very helpful!
Skeep
Location: Previously CD Typhoon #729, now Alberg 30 Hull #614

Post by Skeep »

Reading over this thread Kathryn, I think you've gotten about the best advice possible on your situation. One of the rules I applied when I entered into sailing this Museum piece was to avoid "correcting" too much on the Ty. Having been used to a large yacht with lots of shiny winches and beefy sheets, it took some getting used-to in order to learn her characteristics underway.

But I've found she was more boat than I'd ever thought possible if I just let her play in the wind. She may not point very well due to what Dick said above, and hanking may be a bit inconvenient for me sometimes, yet she works well! A few little corrections in fitment which everyone is saying above, do work well, and then a bit of patience underway. She will sail just fine with or without a furling jib/genoa, or with a hank-on genoa or with a slight working jib, in 5 knots or 25kts, with a traveler or without one... I think she's one of the most forgiving sailboats I've ever handled. Just don't let go of the tiller too long and watch the boom--Baggy Wrinkles slapped me upside the head a few weeks back and reminded me she's got moxie of her own :)

Take a few pics of her so we can see her! Great to have you in the fleet!
Skeep
Supporting Member #1576 of the CDSOA
Current Vessel, Alberg 30 Hull #614 to be named yet
Formerly S/V Hull #729 "Baggy Wrinkles"
Blogsite for Alberg Ty and Alberg 30 continues athttp://baggywrinkles.blogspot.com
Located at Lake Murray Sailing Club, Chapin South Carolina