heat exchanger - M-25-5421 Question

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jen1722terry

heat exchanger - M-25-5421 Question

Post by jen1722terry »

Hey owners of the M-25-5421

We've decided to upgrade our HX to the 3-inch. We've found the model 299835CN on-line at a good price, but we can't get any of the vendors on the phone to answer are questions. We have little time for shipping, as we're leaving the country in 2 weeks for 6 months.

So, maybe some of you can help:

The photo of the HX on-line shows no mounting brackets and the brackets are not mentioned in the description. Do we need new brackets and, if so, does anyone know where we can get them?

Is the copper/nickle HX worth the extra money?

All help will be most appreciated

Terry
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
JWSutcliffe

Re: heat exchanger - M-25-5421 Question

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Use the existing bracket. You can bend it a bit to a larger radius, although I didn't bother. You will need two larger hose clamps to fit around the 3 inch diameter hx.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
jen1722terry

Post by jen1722terry »

Thanks so much, Skip.

In figured you or Jim Walsh would know the answer.

Looking forward to no more worries about overheating, which should be nice if we realize our dream of taking her down to the Bahamas in '16.

Have a nice night and, of course, a very pleasant spring of sailing.

Terry and Jenn
Jennifer & Terry McAdams
Kearsarge, New Hampshire
Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia
CD 31 #33 "Glissade"
Way too many other small boats
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I still have the 2" HX on Raven but I moved it off of the back of the engine. I had glassed in a shelf for the hot water heater so I had a flat surface to start with. I made up a very simple alum plate with some wood saddles screwed on top. The HX sits in the saddles and a hose clamp goes thru a slot in the base plate to hold it in place. It is now much easier to access than it was on the back of the engine.

Just something to consider. Is there a place where the HX would be easier to get to than where it is? Engine rooms, should be called engine compartments on our boats, Steve.