cape dory 25 single cylinder gas engine inboard- What is it

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

almus

cape dory 25 single cylinder gas engine inboard- What is it

Post by almus »

Looked at a CD 25 with a single cylinder gas engine inboard.
Rusted, seized but wondering what it was and if it could be replaced with
similar or other.

No name plate indicating make, HP etc.

Thanks
Stan W.

Re: cape dory 25 single cylinder gas engine inboard- What i

Post by Stan W. »

Hard to say without a photo. Color could be a clue. Typically, silver=Yanmar, yellow=Faryman, red=Bukh, blue=Sabb, green=Volvo.

If you want to keep that African Queen sound, I think the only 1 cylinder brands currently supported in the US are Yanmar and Faryman.

Is the outboard lazarette mount still functional? Personally, I'd ditch the inboard, pop a 6hp Tohatsu (extra long shaft with alternator) in there and call it done.

Edit: Focused on the 1 cylinder part and missed the gas part. If it's gas, my guess is it's a Vire, which is actually a 2-stroke.
damvolpe

Post by damvolpe »

I just bought a 1974 Cape Dory with a single cylinder VIRE 7. Danish I believe. Mine's in decent shape but doesn't quite run. There is an enthusiastic blog of followers dedicated to this engine though so maybe search for that and see if that's what you've got.
Damian Volpe
Lookfar 1976 CD25
Southold, NY
Stan W.

Post by Stan W. »

damvolpe wrote:Mine's in decent shape but doesn't quite run.
I wouldn't spend a nickle on a 40 year old gas inboard. That said, Vires only have 3 moving parts. If the engine turns over smoothly, the problem pretty much has to be the carburetor. A can of carb cleaner, a rebuild kit, a clean sparkplug, some fresh premix and your back in business.