East coast and Bahamas Cruise CD 25D

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

SV Tatyana

East coast and Bahamas Cruise CD 25D

Post by SV Tatyana »

This past winter my wife and I took our 25D down the ICW to Beufort, NC then offshore to FL and through the bahamas. We had a great trip and our 25D held up to its reputation of being a stout pocket cruiser. Here's some photos of our trip. Glad to answer any questions with anyone looking to do this trip in the future.

Locks on the dismal swamp, Tatyana tied up just behind "Tantalus" CD28

Underway Dismal swamp, was like glass so my wife went up the mast to take some pictures

Sunset after pulling into Jacksonville just after a 40 kt squall went by

Sailing on Biscayne Bay, Miami

Light air day across Bahama Banks, was able to row the dinghy out for some shots cruising with the drifter up

Anchored in crystal clear water
SV Tatyana

Re: East coast and Bahamas Cruise CD 25D

Post by SV Tatyana »

wind against current makes for some exciting pictures, this is a shot of our friends on an irwin 35 powering through the chop, I think we were more comfortable on the 25D with the full keel the motion was not as extreme

solar showers in the cockpit

coconut water was a staple for us
David Patterson

Post by David Patterson »

Excellent! Thank you.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Great pictures, thanks for sharing.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Post by cjrs472 »

Hi
I enjoyed very much your pictures. What dinghy did you have for your s/v Tatyana??
Thanks
SV Tatyana

Post by SV Tatyana »

Cjrs472,

We towed a walker bay 8 for most of the trip and put it up on deck for a few of the longer crossings, it was a bit tight on deck since we have hank on sails but with a roller furler I think it would be fine. A nesting dinghy really would have been the best option.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (724.58 KiB) Viewed 2107 times
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Richard:

I have been looking at the Walker Bay 8 (with a wraparound tube) for my little Cape Dory 25D. I would be very interested to learn about your thoughts and practical experience with the WB 8; stability, rowing, operating with and/or without engine, size of engine (if any), comfort level, number of POBs, etc. Anything you can share would be most helpful.

On a somewhat related note, I have been slowly putting together a provisioning list - supplies, gear, food stuff, etc. for what I had hoped would be a trip to the Bahamas as part of a group but will now probably be a sail down the Florida Keys. After looking at your photos I realized I must amend and add to my provisioning list - 2-3 beautiful young female crewmembers. :wink: You are (and were) one lucky sailor. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
cjrs472
CD25D 1983
Hull#109

Post by cjrs472 »

Hi Richard
Thanks for the info about the dinghy. Another question is regarding the performance of the Norvane self steering windvane. How it went with s/v Tatyana??
Thanks
gates_cliff

Post by gates_cliff »

Wonderful post. I'm toying the idea of doing the same thing, kind of sort of doing some upgrades with idea in mind. Have to say I'm jealous you were able to have a crew with you, first my wife won't and my daughter and son couldn't or wouldn't want to either. Nonetheless, I hope to. Would love to know where you went in the Bahamas.

I have a Walker Bay 8 also, and have been considering getting inflatable collar, like "Dinghy Dawgs".

Thanks for the great report and photos.
Cliff
“Man cannot discover new oceans unless he has the courage to lose sight of the shore.”

― André Gide
SV Tatyana

Post by SV Tatyana »

Sea Hunt, we really liked the walker bay for many reasons, you can find one relatively cheap on craigslist, they are nearly indestructible, we dragged it over many rocks and up and down beaches without worry, i can't compare it with any other hard dingy but we had no problem rowing it against strong winds or current, we don't have an engine for it but we did see a few others and it seems a 3hp was the average, rowing single was the best as the boat was a little unbalanced with 2 and the most we've had in it was 4, we never had a problem with the stability but its nice to know you can add the tubes if necessary, and it also tows very well behind the boat.

As far as sailing to the bahamas I think the 25d is a great boat with the shallow draft we could go almost anywhere without worry and tuck into some nice anchorages, we've never seen made it to the keys but have heard the water there is just as amazing as the bahamas.

Cjrs472,
Since this was the only windvane I've used I dont have much to compare it to but I think the norvane is a great windvane for the money, it's very solidly constructed and had plenty of power to steer the 25D, the learning curve was definitely frustrating but I've heard from many thats the case with a lot of wind vanes.

Gates_cliff,
Thanks we really had a great time, I was lucky to be able to talk my wife into this trip which before we left she had never really been on a boat before, after the first week of our trip she had enough and was ready to sell the boat, luckily she stuck it out and finally has confidence that its not going to flip over and she's even entertaining the thought of finding a bigger boat (fingers crossed). We left Miami and headed to Bimini which was about a 12 hour sail. From there it's a long hop to Nassau across the bahama bank (120 miles or so I think it was a 24 hour run for us) or you can break it up on a calm night and anchor on the bahama banks which are about 15 feet deep. After we left nassau we went down through the Exumas which are all close and its possible to do nice short day hops between islands in relatively protected waters. at the end of the exumas is a town called Georgetown which is the final stop for many boats in the bahamas, when we arrived there were over 300 boats anchored which was quite a site and there was always some activity going on. From Georgetown we cruised over to long Island which is a day hop then from there back up through the exumas to nassau then Miami.
ch.ocallaghan

Post by ch.ocallaghan »

Just the cruise I'd like to make in my 25D.

How did you handle drinking water in the Bahamas?
abcnuzeman
Brooklyn, NY

Post by abcnuzeman »

Really enjoyed your trip to the Bahamas on your CD25D. I've got the same boat and contemplate a similar trip. I don't have a wind vane and don't expect I'll get one because of the expense. Instead I've been experimenting with a sheet to tiller self steering setup and find it a frustrating experience, trying to balance the sail plan, the surgical tubing tension and the lead from the main sheet. How were you able to achieve a satisfactory and consistent self steering system? I'm assuming you also carried additional fuel. How much and where? I've always felt confident that the boat was capable of such a trip and your descriptions support that as well. Now I wonder if I'm capable yet. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.
EddieEdwards

Post by EddieEdwards »

Beautiful Photos!
I have a 25D.
Thinking about making the same trip.
I would love to know Did you modify your boom to accomodate the Nice big dodger you have on your CD 25D.?
Looking for any advice on a dodger for my 25D

Thanks!
steveg

Post by steveg »

Hey Eddie,

I built a dodger last winter. The measurements were taken before the boat was hauled out for storage. Well, when constructing the dodger the boom height was a concern. It was not clear whether after it was made it would interfere with the boom. There was no way to put the mast up in the barn to see if it would clear. Consequently, the boom was raised two inches. An impact driver was essential to the removal of the machine screws fastening the gooseneck to the mast. It was raised so the lower holes in the fitting were in the highest holes on the mast, then drilled and tapped four new holes. It turned out just fine. The extra two inches were helpful.

It seemed more desirable to have as much height on the dodger as reasonably possible to facilitate entering and leaving the cabin. There was not need to modify the main with the two inches more height. It has been a great addition to the enjoyment of the boat.

Hope you find this helpful.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
John Stone
Location: S/V Far Reach: CD 36 #61 www.farreachvoayges.net www.farreachvoyages.com

Post by John Stone »

Excellent post. Well done. Sounds like you had a great time. Nice photos too. Thanks for sharing.