Should I replace this bow plate? CD Typhoon

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

JulieC

Should I replace this bow plate? CD Typhoon

Post by JulieC »

I've been told by a guy who does rigging that the forestay holes in this bow plate are too big for the cotter pins and that they've elongated too close to the top of the plate. Does anyone think this is an immediate risk? Can I get through one more summer without worrying the the hole will break through the bronze above it?

Thanks,
Julie
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Julie
1970 CD Typhoon Weekender, "Dragonfly"
Hull 170
Lake Winnipesaukee, NH
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Should I replace this bow plate? CD Typhoon

Post by tjr818 »

Cotter pins :?: :?: Maybe clevis pins? The holes do look a bit large, but not so much so that I would consider replacing the fitting. Can you give us an actual measurement of the hole and the area above it?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

If you drilled one more hole down low and added some tangs, you wouldn't have to worry about it, Steve.
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Do what I did. Find a local artist that works in bronze. Remove the piece and take it to them and have the hole welded. Then re-drill and treat the unit with a little chemistry to age it and no will ever know. Cost is minimal.

Last edited by sharkbait on May 10th, '15, 06:52, edited 1 time in total.
Have A Nice Day
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Is anyone else viewing this photo upside down on their computer screen :?: I don't know anything about computers. Why is Julie's photo upside down on my computer :?: Do I need to change some setting :?: Several of Jim W.'s photos have also been upside down. I logically attributed that to Jim imbibing before posting. I doubt Julie does that so the cause of the upside down photo is ....................... :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Is anyone else viewing this photo upside down on their computer screen :?: I don't know anything about computers. Why is Julie's photo upside down on my computer :?: Do I need to change some setting :?: Several of Jim W.'s photos have also been upside down. I logically attributed that to Jim imbibing before posting. I doubt Julie does that so the cause of the upside down photo is ....................... :?:
It's right side up on my tablet. As are all of my posted pictures. I'd be interested in the solution also. Pretty odd :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Carl Thunberg

Turning Turtle

Post by Carl Thunberg »

The bow plate is the least of your worries. Of greater concern is that your boat has turned turtle. Always keep the pointy side up.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Jim Walsh

Re: Turning Turtle

Post by Jim Walsh »

Carl Thunberg wrote:The bow plate is the least of your worries. Of greater concern is that your boat has turned turtle. Always keep the pointy side up.
So far only Carl and Roberto see the image I upside down. I think it may just be a conspiracy between the two to convince the rest of us that the images we are seeing are upside down. :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Steve Laume

Re: Turning Turtle

Post by Steve Laume »

Jim Walsh wrote:
Carl Thunberg wrote:The bow plate is the least of your worries. Of greater concern is that your boat has turned turtle. Always keep the pointy side up.
So far only Carl and Roberto see the image I upside down. I think it may just be a conspiracy between the two to convince the rest of us that the images we are seeing are upside down. :roll:
These photos are upside down on my computer and some of yours are sideways. I just never commented as some dyslexia makes them easy enough for me to decipher.

However, I do turn my charts and have my plotter set up for heading up, Steve.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Roberto,

I like to read the many posts while doing my daily yoga exercises. At the present moment, I am standing on my head while scoping the CDSOA. Everything looks okay to me. :D

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
JulieC

Post by JulieC »

Funny, guys :)

So this might be of interest - I uploaded the photo via my phone...when I look at the image on the website via my phone's browser, it's right-side up. When I look at it on the browser via my laptop machine, it's upside down.

Assuming the boat is right-side up (ahem) really what I want to know is whether this poses an imminent risk? I will get it repaired or replaced; just need to know whether I can get through one more summer.

Clevis v. cotter pins...I never get it right...
Julie
1970 CD Typhoon Weekender, "Dragonfly"
Hull 170
Lake Winnipesaukee, NH
Carl Thunberg

Post by Carl Thunberg »

You will be fine on Lake Winnipesaukee for one more season. It took many seasons to wear to the point it is now. Winnipesaukee is not known for extreme wind and seas that put excessive stress on your rigging. It will need attention soon, but not necessarily today. By the way, I live in Hopkinton, NH, not far from you.
CDSOA Commodore - Member No. 725

"The more I expand the island of my knowledge, the more I expand the shoreline of my wonder"
Sir Isaac Newton
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

Phones and Tablets have a screen rotate function while computers do not. Sounds like the photo was uploaded upside down and they are correcting for it.
Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

next time you take a photo with your iphone - turn it around - I do this a lot and get a lot of photos as viewed from the southern hemisphere!
Cathy Monaghan
Location: 1986 CD32 Realization #3, Rahway, NJ, Raritan Bay -- CDSOA Member since 2000. Greenline 39 Electra

Post by Cathy Monaghan »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Is anyone else viewing this photo upside down on their computer screen :?: I don't know anything about computers. Why is Julie's photo upside down on my computer :?: Do I need to change some setting :?: Several of Jim W.'s photos have also been upside down. I logically attributed that to Jim imbibing before posting. I doubt Julie does that so the cause of the upside down photo is ....................... :?:
Yep, it's upside down.

-Cathy
Webmaster - CDSOA, Inc.
CD32 Realization, #3
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay
Message Board Admin. - CDSOA, Inc.
CDSOA Associate Member #265
Founding member of Northeast Fleet
Former owner of CD32 Realization, #3 (owned from 1995-2022)
Greenline 39 Electra
Rahway, NJ
Raritan Bay