Help with a Yawl Yawl

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

barfwinkle

Help with a Yawl Yawl

Post by barfwinkle »

GA to everyone

A friend has purchased a Rob Roy 23 yawl (I let it go and I really wanted that boat :cry: it was cheap and original owner) but anyway he is new to sailing and the boat obviously, and I have never sailed a yawl. He has stated that with the c-board down (4' draw), under a full press of cloth, the boat won't tack! It will tack with the board up however. I am trying to work my head around the whys and why nots, but am not having a lot of luck and as stated I have never sailed a yawl. A ketch yes, but not a yawl. He has asked me to crew for him over the weekend and I would like to offer him some pointers/suggestions/explanations.

Whats happening as he tries to tack (remember board down)? What configuration is needed? I can't imagine it not tacking with a full wardrobe deployed.

Could something not be setup correctly? Any help/suggestions would be highly appreciated.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.
Jim Walsh

Re: Help with a Yawl Yawl

Post by Jim Walsh »

It's hard to believe Ted Brewer designed a yacht which can't tack with the board down and all sails raised and pulling. Something obvious has been overlooked by the owner or he has a very limited knowledge of the fundamentals of sailing and is not coherently explaining what he is trying to do under sail.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Perhaps his draft exceeded the water depth with the board down. Heeling reduced his draft enough to sail clear of the bottom, but when trying to come through the wind the boat stood upright and the centerboard dug in. With the board raised, the keel never touched when the boat was on even keel. Just a guess.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

The Rob Roy is a lovely boat ... did you and your friend try tacking the mizzen first to swing the stern around? I haven't been on a yawl since I was a kid, but I think that's how it's done.

Good luck.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Bill

Try falling off a touch and easing the jib sheet some. Then flatten the mizzen as the tiller is thrown over. Don't mess with the jib until it comes through the wind. This might help him.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Jim Davis wrote:Try falling off a touch and easing the jib sheet some. Then flatten the mizzen as the tiller is thrown over. Don't mess with the jib until it comes through the wind. This might help him.
Jim's suggestion is sound.
Also, when I Googled "tacking a yawl," I came up with an old sailing manual from the 1890s (out of copyright) that suggested you might want to backwind the jib to help bring the bow around. That's always sound advice if you're having a tough time tacking.
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Klem

Post by Klem »

I would recommend starting by seeing if the sail plan is balanced when close reaching or even close hauled. If it is balanced or has a bit of weather helm, then that is good. Unless it is really choppy, then the boat should be able to tack on its momentum if you slowly ease the helm over without stalling it.

With an unbalanced sailplan, really light airs or choppy conditions, you will sometimes need to work a bit harder. The first thing to try is to let the jib fly when you put the helm down. Also, backwinding as mentioned can help but you need to be almost into the wind to do it. Finally, if the boat stops and starts moving backwards, you can sometimes save it by reversing the helm to steer backwards and backwinding the mizzen. Regardless, the mizzen should be hauled all the way in until you make it through the wind.

As to why the centerboard could affect it, it is not entirely clear to me. The centerboard will affect the CLR but it usually moves it forward so hauling it up makes it harder to tack in most cases. If you through the helm over too quickly, it is possible that the centerboard is preventing the boat from effectively skidding out. I would be curious to hear what you find.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Well this weeks sailing session got cancelled due to family commitments and the GDaughter gets married next weekend AND I'm heading back to the boat on the 10th or 11th. It will just have to wait until I get home 1st to mid June.

Fair Winds
Bill Member #250.