Throw Line for Horseshoe buoy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: Throw Line for Horseshoe buoy

Post by jbenagh »

attaching some type of Styrofoam ball or similar to the bitter end of line sort of near where it is secured to stern rail thus hoping to keep it away from the prop
The floating line and an additional float might help, but don't rely on it to keep it out of the prop. I have a 40' piece and a 60' piece now for towing the dinghy. Fortunately I still have the dinghy as it only partially cut the line.

Jeff
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

One thing that has not been mentioned is securing the line to the horseshoe. I doubt that the little ring would be able to take the type of load if someone was hanging on the ring and the boat had any way on. You might consider passing the line through the ring and around the body of the horseshoe and back through the ring. Then tie a bowline in it. The human body has lots of drag even at speeds as low as one or two knots and the fabric covering just doesn't look that strong.

Rather than a line on a horseshoe I would look at Lifesling. By all means throw the horseshoe, or even a cushion. But for recovery use something like Lifesling with its much heavier construction could be a wiser choice.

http://www.landfallnavigation.com/lifesling.html

As to adding floats to the line, I would not do it if you want to be able to throw it. The floats will probably catch in the coils and foul your throw. It would be better to keep the line under control and away from the water near the stern of the boat. Also when you are near someone in the water keep the engine in neutral or preferably shut down.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

You make some very good points and suggestions. Once I get the throw line (I ordered what Steve recommended from Defender; 50' based on OJ's recommendation) I will try a few different set ups and see what works best.

Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil