Throw Line for Horseshoe buoy

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Throw Line for Horseshoe buoy

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I am thinking about adding a throw line to the horseshoe buoy I have that is located on the port side of the stern rail. I have seen throw lines for life ring buoys:

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/professi ... country=25

I have not seen any recommendation for attaching a throw line to a horseshoe buoy.

I am assuming the basic principles would be the same. With the line attached, as the horseshoe buoy is thrown the line pays out. I also assume that since the horseshoe buoy is less aerodynamic than a thin rigid life ring buoy that it probably cannot be thrown as far as a life ring buoy.

If anyone has any experience, thoughts or anecdotal information I would be grateful.

Thanks in advance.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Re: Throw Line for Horseshoe buoy

Post by Wingaersheek II »

Hi Roberto:

I think the product you referenced would work fine. I don't think it will know whether it's attached to a ring buoy versus a horseshoe buoy. :wink:

Regardless, the key is to use polypropylene line since it floats.

Regards,
Jim
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Roberto, you are trying to combine to different systems. All you need for a horse shoe or life ring is some decent poly line. The throw bag is a rescue system in itself. They are a staple for whitewater river rescue.

To use the throw bag, you loosen the draw string, hold the bitter end and then toss the bag. The weight of the line in the bag propels it to the target as the line feeds out. With a bit of practice, you can easily hit a target 50 to 75 feet away. Once the victim receives the line they can be pulled to safety. The bag offers no floatation to the victim but does not tend to get hung up on objects in the river. The life ring, or horseshoe buoy provide floatation while also allowing the rescuer to retrieve the victim.

You could use a throw bag to hold the line for a horseshoe buoy but you would then need to hold onto the bag while the line feeds out. I suppose it would give you the option of tossing the bag or the buoy, Steve.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Hi Robert,

I've had a length of yellow poly line (maybe 100') attached to my horseshoe buoy in a coil. It's cheap (might come from you-know-where, who knows?) and it floats. One caution: After a few seasons in the sun (maybe only one season where you live), it gets brittle, so replace it often.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

The clothes line, single braid, stuff will work but does not last long in the sun. It is also a bit hard on the hands and gets much more so as it ages. Think about having to grab that stuff and hold on as you or your crew are dragging behind the boat.

This is the stuff you will find in a throw bag: http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... id=1811519. It has a much better hand, holds up in the sun and takes knots nicely. I use it for dinghy painters as well. Steve.
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Steve,
What a great idea. After a season on the stern rail, I always cut my hands on the brittle el-cheapo line when I decommission my boat and store the horseshoe buoy. Thanks!

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Roberto,

Maybe you could check out several marinas and look for any vessels that have a horseshoe buoy. Observe how they attached the line to the horseshoe.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Don't forget to keep the bitter end cleated off. You will not be able to take the strain of some one grabbing the line when the boat is moving.

I once tossed a throw rope to a guy who was stuck in a nasty hydraulic in the river. I made a good toss, he caught it and I managed to pull him out of the hole. As soon as he got into the current and took a strain on the line, it yanked me right off of the ledge and I landed knees first on a lower one. If it had been a marine situation I would have either been pulled overboard or been forced to let him go.

Keep it cleated off at all times because you might not think to do it in a stressful MOB situation, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Thanks all :!: Great info and advise.

Steve L., I think the throw line, etc. I referenced is intended to be attached to a ring buoy and used as a throw line for a ring buoy. It is not really a "throw bag" which, as you point out, is intended more for river rescues. I looked at "throw bags" and decided they were not what I was looking for. I am going to purchase 50' - 60' of the line you recommended (from Defender), secure one end to the horseshoe buoy and the other to stern rail and then either let the coiled line hang exposed on the stern rail or stuff it into a bag solely to protect it from the Florida sun.

Thanks again all :!: As always great advise.

Sorry about the delay in responding. I could not access this website much of yesterday. Not sure why. :(
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jeff and Sarah
Location: CD33 "Prerequisite" / CD28 Flybridge Trawler "Toboggan"; Annapolis, MD

Post by Jeff and Sarah »

Worth mentioning is that the initial throw (and associated aerodynamics) may not be very important. Correctly maneuvering the boat to deliver the trailing float to the person in the water is also good practice and it allows the helmsman to maintain control of the vessel if making way. Think of delivering the handle of a ski rope to a water skier (behind something other than a Cape Dory, of course). As is usually the case, slow and calm is faster than fast and erratic.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Roberto,

I thought that it was just my personal problem that I couldn't get the CD forum last night. (Wednesday). Everything seems to be okay now. (knock on my forehead)

BTW, I think that I read that the throw bag you showed us had 80' or 90' attached to it. Maybe double check to see if 50' or 60' of line might not be long enough.

FWIW, it snowed in Central NY last night and early Thursday AM. Nothing major, only a trace to 1", but enough to make things messy.

Yuck. :cry:

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

OJ and all:

As recommended by OJ, I ordered 50' of the Samson floating line material recommended by Steve L.

Given the aerodynamics of the horseshoe collar buoy I doubt it can be thrown 50'. Even when deployed, any more than 2x the length of my CD 25D is probably asking for prop fouling issues (even if the line floats).

Thanks all. This board is absolutely the most amazing research site; especially for guys like me who know so little and need so much help.

P.S. OJ, since your Yankees are not doing so well these days (barely over .500) perhaps you want to blame their poor performance on the weather. :wink: :D It seems they always need some excuse for a poor record. :)
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Oswego John wrote:Roberto,

FWIW, it snowed in Central NY last night and early Thursday AM. Nothing major, only a trace to 1", but enough to make things messy.

Yuck. :cry:

O J
Snowing at my house now! It's getting a bit old at this point. :?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Tom Keevil

Post by Tom Keevil »

Well, first of all, the Yankees are only one game out of first place, and I won't mention the record of the so-called baseball team from Miami.

Secondly, that floating line you ordered is great stuff, but be warned. We have indeed wrapped it around our prop.
Tom and Jean Keevil
CD33 Rover
Ashland OR and Ladysmith, BC
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Tom:

I appreciate the heads up about the line. I was thinking of attaching some type of Styrofoam ball or similar to the bitter end of line sort of near where it is secured to stern rail thus hoping to keep it away from the prop.

As for the Miami Marlins (formerly Florida Marlins) I am NOT a fan; I have NEVER been a fan. I have fond recollections of my Dad and I driving to Fenway for at least one game a season. I also have fond memories of listening to my beloved Boston Red Sox on the radio with an old baseball scorecard in hand; Ted Williams, Carl Yaztrzemski - my heroes and NO steroids.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097