CD 28 Stuffing Box

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

BGS

CD 28 Stuffing Box

Post by BGS »

I know this has been discussed extensively in the past but I am not sure what else I can do.

I cannot get any wrench on the lock nut because access is so tight. This is not the typical stuffing box that most other CD's have. It seems most have the Spartan kind that has some teeth in it almost like a gear but not the CD 28

I have tried:

-Lock nut wrenches cut with angle grinder. They cannot be cut small enough. One snapped because it was cut too thin.
-strap wrench... I got the strap around it but didn't have any room to move the handle
-screwdriver and hammer... That didn't last long because I was just stripping it.
-lots of pb blaster... But that hasn't really mattered yet because I haven't been able to get a good turn on it yet.

My next plan was to buy some flat bar and have someone cut a custom wrench for me but that doesn't seem too easy either because it will probably take a few tries to get the wrench to the correct size

Anyone know another type of wrench that is not adjustable that could be cut by an angle grinder? Or have any other ideas? Or am I on the right track with the custom steel flat bar wrench?

Thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Northstar1014

Re: CD 28 Stuffing Box

Post by Northstar1014 »

I don't have a good suggestion, but to be honest I don't like the way the threads look on the stern tube set-up. Have you considered having the whole apparatus replaced?

One hint -- The bilge angle / confines looks very similar to that of the Pearson Triton -- you may be able to find a solution from Triton owners as well.
S/V RESOLVED. 1983 CD-27. Westerbeke W-13.

Massachusetts
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

You might be able to find one of these in the correct size, or modify a box end wrench to fit. These get a better grip than open end wrench, so maybe you could grind it a little thinner.
Crowfoot.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
sgbernd
CD-28 #359
Ventura, CA

Post by sgbernd »

This may be way more work than worth, but I will present it anyway.

If you disconnect the coupling between the shaft and transmission, then, from outside the boat, work the shaft out either partly or all the way, you might be able to get a socket over the nut and use a ratchet. It will be a lot of work, particularly if the shaft is corroded or has any burrs so you might take some emory cloth to it first.

I agree this looks very different than the usual Spartan set up, and the stainless shaft hints at an aftermarket change since I think the original shaft was bronze. (At least mine is).

-s.g.bernd
Valhalla
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

PB blaster is not going to work on bronze. If you can find away to soak it in vinegar, this will clean the bronze.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

PS: you must also have two wrenches. Use both at the same time. Position the handles so that you squeeze the two w/o applying torque to the tube. But, it looks pretty jazzed up. Unfortunate, Cape Dory really mucked up this area. Cutting it out and rebuilding may be the long term solution. http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=33228
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

You have a Buck Algonquin stuffing box. Here are the wrenches http://catalog.buckalgonquin.com/viewit ... x-wrenches
bluecrab

Post by bluecrab »

Had a similar problem last year on my CD 28, after struggling solo for a number of days I enlisted the help of a friend. Using pb blaster, channel lock pliers, and a butane torch we go it loose within minutes. The hardest part is figuring out how to position the two pairs of channel locks in such a confined space.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Skylark wrote:PB blaster is not going to work on bronze.
Are we sure about that :?: I think I used PB Blaster on a Spartan bronze seacock. It took a few days of spraying the seacock and waiting but it did work. I had tried others - WD40 and Liquid Wrench. They did not seem to work. Of course, it could have been a delayed reaction to the WD40, plus the Liquid Wrench plus the PB Blaster. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Ron Churgin

Post by Ron Churgin »

look at this site, these are thin large size wrenches that can easily be shortened

http://www.armstrongtools.com/wrenches/open-end/page/2
Ron Churgin
M. R. Bober

Post by M. R. Bober »

With regard to PB Blaster--the stuff is absolutely positively amazingly effective on rusted connectors--I offer two observations. First PB Blaster needs a bit of time to penetrate the crud, sometimes days. Second DO NOT let PB Blaster contact engine seals as it can ruin them. Be watchful of the transmission's rear seal if spraying along the shaft/stuffing box.

The scent of PB Blaster is not IMHO an acquired taste. Ventilation is good for you!

Mitchell Bober
Sunny Lancaster, (Where today is not only sunny but beautiful.) VA
CDSOA Founding Member
mattlydon

Post by mattlydon »

I found one othe these in a local home depot or lowes

http://www.grainger.com/product/SUPERIO ... 1?$smthumb$

Matt