Typhoon battery placement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

pjust

Typhoon battery placement

Post by pjust »

First, as someone new to CD Typhoons and sailing in general, let me say how much I have appreciated having the collective wisdom of the list available!

Here's my current question: looking forward to my second season sailing Dolcetto on Penobscot Bay, I'm hoping to be doing some more extended voyages, including a few overnights -- after all, she is a "Weekender"! So I want to be prepared in case I'm out after dark. I've thought about making do with the sort of AA-cell nav lights intended for kayaks and dinghies, but I think I want to put in a pair of LED port and starboard lights such as the Aqua Signal 33 (http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?pat ... id=1465732) and have the ability to recharge my phone, etc., while anchored away from home. I have a simple switch panel in mind: http://www.go2marine.com/item/232602/se ... 310-1.html. Can those who've put a battery and panel in a Typhoon suggest where the best placement for the battery is?
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
sloopjohnl

Re: Typhoon battery placement

Post by sloopjohnl »

battery under the companionway opening. two teak 1/2 rounds to stabilize battery position
breaker/switch panel just aft/a little lower of portlight.
wiring for mast running light fished between headliner and cabintop - took a few tries.
port/starboard running lights on coachroof just aft of portlights
wire for single cabin light and a 12v plug for accessory
northern tools 5A solar panel as a trickle charger that resides on cockpit seat when ty is not being used. connects with alligator clips for easy attachment.
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I would really research the portable power options before putting in a 12V system. There are all kinds of tiny battery packs that will recharge a cell, tablet many times over before needing a recharge. I have 4 led lights in the cabin that run off of one set of AAA's for almost the whole season. I've been out in my Ty for as long as 6 days. The portable nav lights have many different mounting options and are easy to hookup. To me having the extra storage space and less weight in such a small cabin and not worrying about running wiring is well worth it. Mark

Bristol14

Post by Bristol14 »

The battery on my Ty Weekender is located under the starboard locker/seat with wires running to the cabin. My guess is that one of the previous owners placed it there to balance the outboard weight on the port side.

I like the idea of no battery and AAA powered LEDs but my battery powers an automatic bilge pump. Having said that, my Ty bilge is always dry, but on the off chance a small leak was to occur...

Paul
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

i also have a bilge pump with separate float switch which was the number one reason for 12v and the solar panel trickle charge; wiring for the running and cabin lights was the logical second step along with the 12v plug for a small fan or other accessory as needed.
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Mark I love what you have done with the interior of your Ty. I'd love to see some more pics and find out about your lighting set up. This summer I'm planning on doing some more over nighting. I currently have a Colman camp tent light/fan that's about it Thinking I might need to spruce up the interior of mine a bit this summer.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Markst95

Post by Markst95 »

Thanks Chris- Thats about it for the interior lights, two of the same on the other side. I rarely used all 4 on, two is usually more than enough. I don't think they are still available but they were made by Darcy. You should be able to find something similar, they each take 3 AAA's. The bag is from Yakima, it was for one of their storage rack systems. I bought a few on clearance awhile back.
pjust

Post by pjust »

Mark, what do you do for nav lights? That's my primary interest in putting a 12v battery; I'm happy to go with the kind of AAA-battery interior lights you show in your picture. But I want something a little more substantial than the flashlight-style lights made by Aqua Signal or Atwood for kayaks and inflatable dinghies.
Peter Just
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
Markst95

Post by Markst95 »

http://www.wholesalemarine.com/portable ... AiEs8P8HAQ

I mount it on a wooden block that slides over the front cleat. I have a white light for the stern. For me it works fine- I'm not out at night very often.
ariasis

Post by ariasis »

Mark did you paint the interior? I also use the flash light style lights for navigation.
Sincerely,

Chris B.
http://bristol-blue.blogspot.com/

"It is the Average Sailor, the one who will never set any records or win any major trophies, who really populates the sailing world." Ray Whitaker

"Never tell a young person that something cannot be done. God may have waited for centuries for someone ignorant enough of the impossible to do that very thing."- John Andrew Holmes
Markst95

Post by Markst95 »

Yes- just the top section. I used a marine enamel.
pjust

Post by pjust »

I've looked into a number of AAA-battery nav lights, but have decided to go ahead and install a 12v battery to run LED nav lights, charge my phone, and maybe power an LED cabin light. I'm not going to be cranking any engines and the amps needed to run the LED lights is very low. Can anyone recommend a low-cost, reasonably realiable 12v battery?
Peter Just
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

How are you going to charge this battery? If you are going to be lugging it back an forth I would look for something quite small, like a motorcycle battery. A small deep cycle or multi purpose would be better. Your led lights are not going to put much of a strain on any battery.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Klem

Post by Klem »

pjust wrote:I've looked into a number of AAA-battery nav lights, but have decided to go ahead and install a 12v battery to run LED nav lights, charge my phone, and maybe power an LED cabin light. I'm not going to be cranking any engines and the amps needed to run the LED lights is very low. Can anyone recommend a low-cost, reasonably realiable 12v battery?
I like these:

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0213555762

In my opinion, they represent a very good value for this sort of application. They won't have the longest cycle life, the most capacity or the most cranking amps but they still rate pretty well. Of course, you may decide that a group 24 is too large. Motorcycle batteries would work but I don't know how long it will last, I have not had very good luck with them on trailer breakaways.
sloopjohnl

Post by sloopjohnl »

i use a small NAPA car battery, lay a 5 amp solar panel trickle charger from Northern Tools on the cockpit seat when away from the boat, lead the wires from the solar panel under the bottom hatchboard and let the solar panel trickle charge the battery all season long. same battery and same solar panel for three going on four years now.