Tricks for Replacing Yanmar 1gm Fuel Filter

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

gcm52

Tricks for Replacing Yanmar 1gm Fuel Filter

Post by gcm52 »

I am trying to replace the engine mounted fuel filter on my Yanmar 1gm. There is a ring type fitting on top of the bowl that has to be removed to drop the bowl off the filter. It is stuck on hard and I could not get it to budge with my fingers. I then took a wide jaw pliers to it and that started to chew up the ring, and it didn't budge. I then tried to use an adjustable oil filter wrench but I couldn't get that to seat properly. I am assuming that I need to turn it counter clockwise to loosen it, looking down from above, is that correct? Any other tools I should try or other clever ways to loosen this ring? Thanks.
CD 25D #120
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Re: Tricks for Replacing Yanmar 1gm Fuel Filter

Post by tjr818 »

I took a pair of those plier type oil filter wrenches and ground it down to fit that ring. It grips the little bumps without haven to squeeze so hard as to do any damage. I am thinking of moving that filter to a different location the next time I change the filter. It will require two longer hoses and a new piece of tubing, but it would sure make it cleaner and easier to change that filter. Then maybe I would change it more often. :oops:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I have used this tool with good results both on S/V Bali Ha'i and on my old Chevy truck. This may be the tool you referenced in your initial post.

http://www.wilmarcorp.com/item.aspx?iid=6

CAUTION: This product is labeled "Made in China". The good news is it is not a critical piece of engine or electrical equipment nor part of lifesaving gear. If it malfunctions or breaks you just grab another set of pliers. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

tjr818 wrote:I took a pair of those plier type oil filter wrenches and ground it down to fit that ring. It grips the little bumps without haven to squeeze so hard as to do any damage.
I used one of those "oil filter pliers" as well. I don't think I had to modify it at all. I can't remember whether I bought it at Harbor Fright or Auto Zone--in any case, I'm sure it came from the People's Republic. And it works perfectly.
--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:I have used this tool with good results both on S/V Bali Ha'i and on my old Chevy truck. This may be the tool you referenced in your initial post.

http://www.wilmarcorp.com/item.aspx?iid=6

CAUTION: This product is labeled "Made in China". The good news is it is not a critical piece of engine or electrical equipment nor part of lifesaving gear. If it malfunctions or breaks you just grab another set of pliers. :wink:
That's the tool. I filed the sharp edges off the teeth and put about a 30 degree bend in the handles. Easy to do with that nice soft Chinese steel. Works great.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
David Morton

Post by David Morton »

I
am assuming that I need to turn it counter clockwise to loosen it, looking down from above, is that correct?

Actually, that is wrong. The ring screws into the top, so, looking down from the top, you want to turn the ring clockwise to loosen it. Also, I would check the integrity of the bleeder screws at the top and make sure they do not leak. I remember at least one of them uses a compressible copper washer that needs replacing each time you bleed the pump, which you will most likely have to do after changing the filter. In addition, you might consider adding a Racor between the tank and the fuel pump on the block. It will be much more convenient to change the Racor filter and will protect the Yanmar filter so you won't have to change it very often.

David
"If a Man speaks at Sea, where no Woman can hear,
Is he still wrong?
" anonymous, Phoenician, circa 500 b.c.
gcm52

Post by gcm52 »

Thanks for all your replies, they are very helpful. The oil filter wrench I was using had a rubber strap that was too big, I will try the wrench you all recommend. Plus I will be turning the fitting in the correct direction this time!
CD 25D #120