M25 Engine Timing Case

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Dick Turner
Location: CD 31 "Mystical" Hull #32 New Bern, NC Berthed at Pecan Grove Marina, Oriental, NC

M25 Engine Timing Case

Post by Dick Turner »

Fellow Captains,
S/V Mystical, CD31 is in dire need of a "Timing Case" for an M25 Universal engine (Kubota block #D-1101, M25, D-850). The part is no longer available through normal suppliers. I'm hoping that maybe a fellow CDer may know of a "bone yard" where I can procure the much need part.
It was listed as part number 300140 in the Universal parts list when it was available. Any help/inputs would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Capt. Dick
Carolina Fleet
Ph: 252-634-3404
JWSutcliffe

Re: M25 Engine Timing Case

Post by JWSutcliffe »

Dick:

Sorry to hear of this difficulty at the beginning of the season. I have no source for the cover, but would appreciate hearing what caused the need for replacement. Crack from the alternator mount?
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

Good luck finding one they are the proverbial needle in the hay stack these days. If you find one please let us know where..

It now often means buying a complete spare parts engine. I am going to guess you never did the alternator bracket upgrade? This is why the timing gear case is in such high demand..

For those who have an M-18 or M-25 please do the alternator bracket upgrade before you crack your timing gear case..
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

This has been a bit of a concern to me since I first learned about the Alt bracket. Raven has an Model 20 which appears to have the same arrangement so I am assuming it is also a problem. Is this true? The kit seems like a lot of money for what you get. Has anyone ever fabricated one of these things and bought the studs?

I suppose dealing with a cracked engine is a whole lot more expensive than the bracket, Steve.
Bob Ohler

Post by Bob Ohler »

Does anyone have any photos that they can post of both the problem and the solution for both the alternator bracket and the timing case?

Thanks!
Bob Ohler
CDSOA Member #188
CD30B, Hull # 335
sv Aloha Spirit
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I have an M25-XPB. (Insert audible sigh of relief) :D
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

You can see if Alfred at Schooner Bay imported motors has one.
(715) 779-3266
Paul
CDSOA Member
Dick Turner
Location: CD 31 "Mystical" Hull #32 New Bern, NC Berthed at Pecan Grove Marina, Oriental, NC

Post by Dick Turner »

Was able to weld the broken off mounting "boss" back onto the timing case proper. Installed the alternator mounting bracket modification as outlined in pbase.com's detailed instructional procedure. The noted procedure was extremely helpful. Along with a new alternator and some hose replacements S/V Mystical is now in "ship shape" Thanks Capt. Steve for the pbase.com info.
Capt. Dick