solar panel

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Megunticook

solar panel

Post by Megunticook »

Anyone have experience with the Gantz solar panels? I'm thinking about picking up the 12W product at Hamilton Marine this weekend (http://store.hamiltonmarine.com/browse. ... 53560.html)

The boat has very minimal electronics--small Garmin GPS (421s), VHF, nav. lights (99% of sailing is during the day so these are rarely used), LED anchor light. I have 1 12V battery on board. Last year I just brought the battery ashore every 3-4 weeks for a charge and that seemed sufficient.

I was thinking the 12W panel plus charge controller for roughly $200 total would keep the battery topped off.

Any thoughts or advice?
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Re: solar panel

Post by jbenagh »

From what I understand, you don't need a charge controller at this level (12W). As long as the solar panel output is in the trickle charge range you are OK without a controller.

Jeff
Russell

Post by Russell »

jbenagh wrote:From what I understand, you don't need a charge controller at this level (12W). As long as the solar panel output is in the trickle charge range you are OK without a controller.

Jeff
Wattage and voltage are not the same. You can have a 12w panel that puts out 30 volts (not likely, but in theory possible), it would still boil a small battery bank. I dont recommend anyone connect a solar panel without a regulator, ever. It would be silly to invest in a nice MPPT regulator that costs more then the panel, but having something regulating is important and necessary, basic charge controllers are cheap.

That said, the hamilton marine deal does not sound like a terribly great deal when solar is selling for about $1 a watt. But then again, there is something to be said for a turn key package that works and does what you want without having to get into the whys and hows.
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Maine Sail

Post by Maine Sail »

jbenagh wrote:From what I understand, you don't need a charge controller at this level (12W). As long as the solar panel output is in the trickle charge range you are OK without a controller.

Jeff

Unfortunately many folks have this misunderstanding...... Not the fault of boat owners but rather big corporations like West Marine who give 100% incorrect advice on this subject...

The Ganz panel should work fine for what you want to do but will take a while to bring the bank back to 100% SOC if you did deeply discharge it. Figure on about 2 - 3.5 +/- Ah's per day.

Do I need A Solar Controller?
http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/do_i ... controller
-Maine Sail
CS-36T
Broad Cove, Maine

My Marine How To Articles
Megunticook

Post by Megunticook »

Maine Sail wrote:The Ganz panel should work fine for what you want to do but will take a while to bring the bank back to 100% SOC if you did deeply discharge it. Figure on about 2 - 3.5 +/- Ah's per day.
Thanks, MaineSail. I've looked at your webpage, very helpful.

Do you think the Ganz is a good product? If not, any alternatives I should be looking at? What do you use yourself?
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Solar panel

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Megunticook:

The Ganz solar charger panel is "Made in China". Caveat Emptor :!: :!: :!:

Below is the website for a company that makes solar charger panels in the USA. I have no connection with them and have no information about their products, build quality, etc. All I know is they are "Made in the USA". They are apparently a relatively new company -formed in 2009 in California.

http://www.suntactics.com
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

Made in America is not really a well defined term.

If you dig a little deeper you would have found that in this case "Made in America" means "Assembled from Imported Components". I don't think that there are any crystalline cells manufactured in the US anymore. If you are really afraid of buying Chinese components you might be able to find some cells that are made in Taiwan (does that fit into your definition of China?), the Philippines or Malaysia.
Russell

Re: Solar panel

Post by Russell »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Megunticook:

The Ganz solar charger panel is "Made in China". Caveat Emptor :!: :!: :!:

Below is the website for a company that makes solar charger panels in the USA. I have no connection with them and have no information about their products, build quality, etc. All I know is they are "Made in the USA". They are apparently a relatively new company -formed in 2009 in California.

http://www.suntactics.com
I think we are all aware at this point of your issue with things made in China. Fact is though, some good things are made in China as well, even some of the best new boats on the market right now are built in China. Plenty of garbage is made in China as well, the key is know the good from the bad, not just a blanket avoidance of Chinese goods (unless your reasons are political rather then quality, in which case I hardly think it belongs on the CD board).
Russell
s/v (yet to be named) Tayana 42CC
s/v Lady Pauline Cape Dory 36 #117 (for sale)
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jeff:

I defer to your expertise and computer skills. I again went to their website and was not able to find language that said "imported components".

This is the language from their website that I relied upon in my earlier post:

"We are an American company, we build handcrafted solar chargers from scratch, so you are guaranteed a tool that actually works and is reliable enough to last a lifetime outdoors. Being a American-made manufacturing company gives us a one-up above the rest when it comes to reliability, optimum performance, and the best customer service available."

I understand that there may be certain types of earth metals or compounds needed in certain electronic products or components that are not found within the United States and that these items are "imported" from elsewhere. My concern is that when buying "Made in China" products you have zero assurance of build quality, components safety, etc. At least when it says "Made in USA" you have a higher (I would argue a much higher) level of confidence that the item purchased will be built correctly, not contain products that can kill you (Lumber Liquidators wood-formaldehyde that kills; Chinese drywall-sulfides, come to mind), and function as advertised and intended.

My comments have nothing to do with politics. For me, it is solely an issue of consumer safety and, on this board, sailor safety. If you know the product is "Made in China" or another country of questionable business morals, and you choose to buy anyways, that is your right and privilege. I went to the Ganz website and saw the "Made in China" admission and thought I should post.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Unfortunately, Suntactics panels are not for 12v.
Here is part of their reply when I asked, "...our panels are specifically designed for 5 volt USB devices only.. not 12 volt devices. Sorry!"
I guess we will have to keep looking.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
jbenagh
Salem, MA

Post by jbenagh »

Mainesail, nice writeup! Thanks for enlightening me on this topic and others.

Jeff
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

Robert - it had nothing to do with the computer - I called them on the telephone. Their boast "MADE IN AMERICA", while strictly accurate (they solder the imported cells together), is misleading and designed to appeal to people who do not do their homework. I think that I would rather buy products from a company that transparently discloses their manufacturing locations rather than one that seems to be trying to appeal to xenophobes.

As a previous poster noted there are many good products made in China. Apples tablets and smartphones are made in China from components sourced worldwide - few people would consider them to be junk. There is also plenty of junk made in China (as well as everywhere else in the world).

I think that the best approach is to buy reliable brands from OEMs with a track record for design, reliability and standing behind their products. As an example - when I replaced my standing rigging I wanted to replace the 30 year old bolts that attached my chain plates. While the easy answer was WM (or Defender, HD or the local hardware store) no one could tell me who made the bolts or to what standard they were tested. I gladly paid 8x for mil-spec bolts from McMaster Carr. While I did not know where they were made (maybe China?) I did have confidence in McMaster Carr.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jeff:

Well, if you are going to resort to using something like the "telephone" to get your information that seems pretty unfair. :wink: :wink:

I did not call them but based on your conversation with them I am disappointed in their website. You are right. It makes it seem like it is an "All American" operation from component parts to the build stage to the sale.

Anyone recall where the expression "All American" originates :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:Jeff:

Anyone recall where the expression "All American" originates :?:
Jack Armstrong! Sorry to say, I am old enough to remember. :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Yup, Jack Armstrong, "The all American Boy".

Brought to you by Wheaties, the All American breakfast cereal. The breakfast of champions. :wink: :wink:

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490