Looking for diesel advice

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Bill Coogan
Location: CD25 "Flying Bugster" and CD30C, "Flying Bugster II," Vineyard Haven, MA

Looking for diesel advice

Post by Bill Coogan »

I just bought a CD 30 with a 2005 Beta 20 hp diesel engine. I once lived with an Atomic 4 and by necessity learned all . . . and I mean ALL . . . about its workings. But I am completely new to diesels and would love to draw on the wisdom of this board.

What do I need to do to get the engine ready for the season?

What should I watch out for?

When I need parts, where should I buy them?
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Re: Looking for diesel advice

Post by Neil Gordon »

All I've ever done in the spring is check the fluid levels, then turn the key.

I'll add that presumes a few things:

1 - There's an impeller in the water pump. (Keep a spare on board.)

2 - The raw water intake hose is back on the sea cock and properly double clamped.

3 - The zinc on the heat exchanger has been replaced.

4 - The belt's in good shape and properly tensioned. (Keep a spare on board.)
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
David van den Burgh

Post by David van den Burgh »

I would add a few things:

Ensure that your motor has fresh oil in the proper grade and a quality oil filter.

Check transmission fluid level - and maybe even change it with a good quality fluid.

Drain any water from your fuel filter(s).

If your fuel filters haven't been changed recently, change them. Keep extras on hand.

You might check your diesel tank for crud/growth. If there's growth, the tank should be drained and cleaned, otherwise you'll clog either the pickup tube or your fuel filters in the first lively romp on the water.

If there's any sort of air filter, check to make sure it's clean and clear.

There may be some things I'm forgetting, but that's where I'd start.

Good luck!
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

The Beta engines are all Kubota based. The link below is for the common consumable parts, note that it gives the Beta part number along with the Kubota number and even the WIX part number for filters. Most WIX filters are available locally NAPA or online (try http://www.rockauto.com/).

If you don't have a copy of the Operators Maintenance Manual you can order one from Beta at TEL: (252) 249-2473. They can also supply a CD with digital copies of the workshop manuals.

Go to this page and select the correct engine for the consumables: http://www.betamarinenc.com/index.php/parts

If you do order spare belts and impeller make sure they actually fit before you need them!

Learn how to bleed your engine. Instructions will be in the Operators manual. The manual also has a Maintenance Schedule worth looking at although I would change the oil and oil filter a bit more often than they recommend.

EDIT: Here is a link to an online version of the owners manual: http://www.betamarinenw.com/Engines/Res ... 3D8E09.pdf
Last edited by bottomscraper on Mar 23rd, '15, 13:24, edited 1 time in total.
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Klem

Post by Klem »

Diesels are all about fuel fuel fuel. This means that you should be really careful that you never have bad fuel which is usually the result of water getting in there. Check your fuel filter regularly to make sure that there is no water and if you start to see significant water or algae, you will need to drain the tank for cleaning. For prevention, use common sense like don't fuel in the rain, make sure the o-ring on the fuel filler is good, don't fill from a place that has sketchy tanks, etc. Also, carry a spare fuel filter and know how to change it.

Diesels give off a couple of important diagnostic signs beyond what the gauges tell you. Listen to the engine and once you are used to the noise, you will immediately hear many problems when it sounds wrong. Also, watch your exhaust as the color will tell you a lot. Try not to idle the engine too much including when cold, many people incorrectly idle their engines up to temp. Otherwise, keep up with routine maintenance and you shouldn't have too many issues, they are very reliable. Here is what I would recommend for maintenance:

Spring
Change impeller
Check zincs
Test run prior to launching

Fall
Change engine and transmission oil
Change fuel filter(s)
Check air cleaner
Check belt
Winterize

The Beta is a very good engine and I think that you will have no problem maintaining it as it is much easier than an A4. Just use common sense when determining the cause of a problem. The only thing that people coming from gas engines typically misdiagnose is air in fuel which is a much bigger deal for a diesel.
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

Bill,

Congratulations on your CD30. And with it already repowered with a Beta. Good fortune indeed. We have a Kubota 1105 based Universal 5424 in Femme and I think they are reliable, well purposed motors. The Beta would be the motor I would replace it with. In addition to the advice already given, I would get a copy, or at least read Nigel Calder's Diesel book:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/007147 ... RVB6WRAYSB

The focus on keeping the fuel and oil clean is prudent. I change my oil yearly and do not use my motor much. Because of that, when I do use it, I RUN it. Meaning I am not afraid to rev it up within its range. So when actually motoring I will try to work it hard and keep an eye on the temp gauge of course. Think of a back hoe or front loader, that's what I'm talking about.

If you have winters, the winterization process is also key to a happy diesel. I change the oil and fill the fuel tank up to minimize condensation in there, then when on the hard, run antifreeze through water intake till it comes out pink in the exhaust (about a gallon), add some Sta- Bil to the fuel tank and on shutdown spray some fogging oil in the air intake. Then I pull the raw water impeller and give the whole motor a bit of wipe down, maybe hit certain bits with WD40. The fuel filter gets changed every couple seasons or so along with the transmission oil and repacking of the stuffing box. All these get checked through at the beginning and often the end of the season. I may get in there and adjust the valves soon as this is our 13th year with this 33 year old workhorse and that's about the extent I have done beside replacing a few external parts.

Good luck and enjoy - our German marina owner and 50 year diesel mechanic (more than one story here) loves these motors. He told me one time when I was reving the motor over and over, plowing through mud and silt to get into our slip in a low water year, " Just don't forget to use 'da throttle, you've got a Kubota down 'dere, it vas designed to go through dirt!"
Paul
CDSOA Member
Maine_Buzzard

Post by Maine_Buzzard »

All the above, and...

Every three or four years, change the antifreeze and clean the heat exchanger by boiling in vinegar to descale it. Pick out the unexpected impeller parts that arrive too. If you don't know when it was done last, it's time.

Each spring, snug hose clamps and bolts that may loosen- brackets for the shift and throttle, and motor mount brackets. Check electrical connections to the starter and alternator.

Enjoy the easiest oil change you ever had.