CD 14 nearing completion

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dan Kretzer
Location: Cape Dory 14, Sumpwams River Rowing Skiff, RKL Cedar Strip Canoe, Alden Ocean Shell

Re: CD 14 nearing completion

Post by Dan Kretzer »

Thank you all for the kind remarks.
Dick, The non-skid is something I considered and may end up adding. Would love to see your CD10. Please post pics.
Centerport, Long Island, NY
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Dan,

Thanks for the photos of the lower rudder attachment. Now I know what I'm looking for. I searched the Sparten catalog in the past but maybe I'll give them a call.

W.
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
plumber

Post by plumber »

Nice job restoring that 14. On that note I have had my CD14 for a few years now and will probably need to do the same in the not to distant future. You have given me a few pointers. I do have a question. I have that lower rudder piece but not the bronze pop up bracket that goes on it that the rudder mounts on. Do you know where one can be found? I have been searching and have found only pictures but no luck. I may be able to make one if I could find some detailed pictures to work from. Any incite would be great.

Brace
Dan Kretzer
Location: Cape Dory 14, Sumpwams River Rowing Skiff, RKL Cedar Strip Canoe, Alden Ocean Shell

Post by Dan Kretzer »

Brace,
If I understand you correctly what you're looking for I think might be called the rudder bridle. It's kind of a closed Y shaped loop of cast bronze that the pintles on the rudder slide into. Then you hook the rudder to the top eyebolts and it is spring loaded at the bottom to engage the lower bronze piece that I posted a picture of.

I would think that bridle would have to be the single most impossible piece to find in all of dinghy-dom. I suppose it might have been used on other small classes but I've never seen it before. All the other bronze fittings on the boat are off-the-shelf Wilcox-Crittenden parts so maybe it was somewhat available at the time. Or did CD have them made just for them?

If I didn't have the complete set-up I would have converted to a standard bronze pintle and gudgeon set from Spartan or Bristol Bronze. I won't do that now because I had the boat professionally painted but if anything breaks in that system that's what I'd do. It was designed as a fairly complicated kick-up system but looks like it could be fragile. (the bridle that is) I'm wondering if an old original Alcort system (Sunfish) could be adapted. There's probably someone in every coastal neighborhood that has Sunfish parts in their garage.

Final thought. A few years ago I bought a kick-up rudder (wood head with an aluminum foil) on ebay that I was able to adapt to a 15' wooden sharpie. Just a matter of spacing the fittings. It wasn't traditional but it worked great.

I say sell the lower mount to Walter and re-rig the boat upon restoration. But, I can take pics of it tomorrow if you wish.
pjust

Post by pjust »

Dan Kretzer wrote:Here're a couple of photos of the lower rudder fitting.
It measures 3-5/8" X 1" with the arms extending out 1-1/8".

Perhaps try Spartan Marine. They may even have the original mould. Their bronze outboard bracket (similar to the ones on numerous TYs) has a deck plate that could possibly be adapted although it may be too long.

There's something about the look of old bronze that makes me go all gooey inside.
Peter Just
Typhoon Weekender #602, Dolcetto, Spruce Head, ME
"It is not with impunity that we go out on the water, but with sufferance." - Roger C. Taylor
plumber

Post by plumber »

Dan,
Thanks for getting back to me. I have seen pictures of the Y thingy (not sure what it's called) but not with enough detail to try and fabricate one. Not sure I can cast it but I have some sheet brass that may be able to made into a working part.
I would love it if you could get some pictures of it with ruler next to it for scale so I can give it a shot. If I can come up with a reasonable copy I'm sure some other 14 owners would be interested in how to make them.
As you said, these have to be one rare item.
Thank you in advance
Brace
Joe M
Location: 1984 CD Typhoon "Itilldoo" & CD10 No.315 Cape May, NJ

Post by Joe M »

I have a Spartan outboard bracket mounting plate (Spartan Marine part no. P563) mentioned earlier in this post. Not sure if its possible to make something that will work from it. Let me know if you're interested.

Joe
plumber

Post by plumber »

Hi Joe, sorry it took so long to get back at you but I'm in the process of moving to coastal NC and just got back and have no web at the new house yet. In any case, I'm not sure what you have is what I'm looking for but I'd be willing to look at it if you could get a picture on here. I am at the point of now of fabricating some thing that fills the need. As you may know it's the kick up for the rudder also and I have had a problem with that once or twice.
Thanks in advance
Brace

BTW: My son in law has completed the complete restoration of our former CD25 and it's back in the water in NC. So want to see it!
Dan Kretzer

Post by Dan Kretzer »

Today's sunny 50 degree weather is making me think spring and boats. Here are some photos showing my completed CD14. Still have to add some sailing rigging and install the centerboard but had her out for several rows last fall.
Planning for sail trials late spring.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dan Kretzer

Post by Dan Kretzer »

IMG_1589.JPG
IMG_1388.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I'll just say WOW, and leave it at that. :wink:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time