CD 14 nearing completion

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Dan Kretzer
Location: Cape Dory 14, Sumpwams River Rowing Skiff, RKL Cedar Strip Canoe, Alden Ocean Shell

CD 14 nearing completion

Post by Dan Kretzer »

Haven't been on the board in a while but been busy restoring my CD 14. Purchased in August 2013, the rails were falling off and the transom core was rotted. No choice but to completely refurbish her. Still more finish work to do. Planning for a late spring launch.
Note the picture of Andrew Vavolotis' business card embedded in the hull!

ImageImage[/url
[URL=http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/IsleRide/media/IMG_0328.jpg.html]Image

ImageImageImageImage[/url
[URL=http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/IsleRide/media/photo1-2.jpg.html]Image

ImageImageImage
Image[/URL[URL=http://s1215.photobucket.com/user/IsleRide/media/IMG_1118.jpg.html]Image
Centerport, Long Island, NY
Jim Walsh

Re: CD 14 nearing completion

Post by Jim Walsh »

Beautiful restoration work. Worthy subject. Wonderful lines. :wink:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Nice job, Dan. Beautiful work.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Walter Hobbs

Post by Walter Hobbs »

Thanks for posting the pictures, beautiful work.

I have a CD 14 that I acquired last season and used for rowing around my cove. Planning to replace rotten pieces of gunnel this spring along with compound and polish hull, strip and revarnish woodwork, paint interior and make a few improvements.

Your photos are a nice reference. I am missing the lower rudder mount, I have never seen one except in pictures, and yours is the best picture I've found. Do you happen to know where to get one? I cobbled together something that works but I'd love to get the genuine article. I checked Spartan Marine and other sources but have not found it yet. Could you post a close up? Perhaps I can make something closer to the original if I can see what it looks like.

This is a tender for my Sea Sprite 23 named Neptune's Smile. I'm thinking of naming the CD 14, Grin.

Thanks for your help.

Walter
Walter R Hobbs
CD 14 hull # 535, Grin
CD 27 Hull # 35 Horizon Song
Lincoln, RI

"Attitude is the differance between ordeal and adventure."
Markst95
Location: 1972 Typhoon Weekender "SWIFT" Hull #289 Narragansett Bay, RI

Post by Markst95 »

I like the color you chose for the inside, can I ask what you used?
Dan Kretzer
Location: Cape Dory 14, Sumpwams River Rowing Skiff, RKL Cedar Strip Canoe, Alden Ocean Shell

Post by Dan Kretzer »

I'm a big fan of the Seasprite 23. There's one in my neighborhood that hasn't seen water in a couple of years. Keeping an eye on that one.

I'll take a picture of the lower rudder fitting this weekend and post it. It looks to be a one-off but since that bridle is also so special that maybe CD had it purpose built for them. I've never seen that on anything else.

There's no reason why conventional pintles and gudgeons couldn't be used except for the additional holes that would be needed. In hindsight, I could have filled the holes in the transom and converted mine.

As far as the interior color, after 3 coats of sanding primer (sanding most of it off) I applied the first coat of Pettit Sandtone. I didn't like it. Had too much red to my eyes and it was way too glossy for a boat's interior. I cut it with flat white and also tinted it with a little dark green to kill the red. Further tinting with burnt umber and yellow got me to what I named "Oyster Buff".
The hull is sprayed in Awlgrip Oyster White.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Dan Kretzer wrote:The hull is sprayed in Awlgrip Oyster White.
Yes :!: :D That's the color I selected for the topsides on S/V Bali Ha'i. I like it a lot.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Sea Hunt Video wrote:
Dan Kretzer wrote:The hull is sprayed in Awlgrip Oyster White.
Yes :!: :D That's the color I selected for the topsides on S/V Bali Ha'i. I like it a lot.
Roberto,
Does that mean the job is complete?
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

I don't want to hijack Dan's thread but "no". I have to wait for the birds to leave so the deck can be cleaned and prepped properly. I am now hoping in 2-3 weeks. I did the topsides with Awlgrip Oyster White last year. The non-skid will be Awlgrip's "Moon Dust".
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Dan Kretzer

Post by Dan Kretzer »

"Moon Dust"
Is that the color sometimes used on spars on some modern boats?
I seem to remember that before the current trend of white spars. Early Alerions etc.?
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Dan:

Not sure. It is on the Awlgrip color chart:

http://www.awlgrip.com/support-and-advi ... cards.aspx#

Someone on the board told me it was close to original Cape Dory deck non-skid color.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Dan Kretzer

Post by Dan Kretzer »

I'm not sure either. It was some time ago that I saw it.
Although, it does look like it will be a good choice for the non-skid deck areas. Carry on.....
sharkbait

Post by sharkbait »

Your photos are a nice reference. I am missing the lower rudder mount, I have never seen one except in pictures, and yours is the best picture I've found. Do you happen to know where to get one?
You might want to contact Hamilton Marine. They have a lot of hardware that is not listed in any catalog. Just call and ask or e-mail picture and ask.
Have A Nice Day
Dan Kretzer

Post by Dan Kretzer »

Here're a couple of photos of the lower rudder fitting.
It measures 3-5/8" X 1" with the arms extending out 1-1/8".

Perhaps try Spartan Marine. They may even have the original mould. Their bronze outboard bracket (similar to the ones on numerous TYs) has a deck plate that could possibly be adapted although it may be too long.

Dick Villamil

Post by Dick Villamil »

A superb job well done. After doing a similar restoration to my double hulled CD10 I can appreciate the work you have completed. I used a sand color for the interior and delineated the area where I applied nonskid on the interior. I added the nonskid compound to the second coat of paint (covered by the third coat). It makes it easier to get around in the boat and looks good with the contrasting inner hull and nonskid areas. Nice to get rid of that ugly blue! Since my boat had mahogany the 6 coats of Epiphanes sets the boat off from any other in the area.