What is the best value for a Windvane for a 25D?

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

gcm52

What is the best value for a Windvane for a 25D?

Post by gcm52 »

I had a Monitor windvane on a Vanguard 32 and really liked it a lot, however it was very expensive when I bought it new (20 years ago) and they have gotten more expensive since. I am thinking about a windvane for my 25D and am curious about what others have experienced. If you have a windvane on your 25D, what did your windvane cost, and how do you like it?
CD 25D #120
CD_Sailor

Re: What is the best value for a Windvane for a 25D?

Post by CD_Sailor »

gcm52 wrote: ... thinking about a windvane for my 25D and am curious about what others have experienced. If you have a windvane on your 25D, what did your windvane cost, and how do you like it?
I have a Navik on a CD 28 and it's been there since purchased new in 1987. At the time the cost was roughly $1000 (plus the time and effort to install). The Navik was supplied by Scanmar who also supply the Monitor (plus a few other odds and ends), but unfortunately the Navik is no longer manufactured. In fact if you check online and even find a used unit, folks seem to be asking well above $2000 for even some incomplete examples.

My point is that there is no "cheap" vane available, and I don't expect this to change any time soon. Everyone wants a good, cheap, used windvane, and if they exist at all, they're certainly well hidden.

At the same time it is indeed possible to build a custom windvane for a small yacht, but I myself don't have the skills in metal working to do so. The best you can do is keep looking, and in the meantime buy one (or preferably two) Autohelm 2000 units to get you there.
steveg

Post by steveg »

I have no experience with these. They are at the opposite end of the price spectrum and require you to build it. It runs about 300 British Pounds plus shipping for the kit, you supply the wood. http://www.windvaneselfsteering.co.uk/index.html

It looked very interesting.
Steve

Wondering why we are all not out sailing now?
hilbert

Post by hilbert »

Windvanes list on ebay from time to time. You can set it up to receive notifications of new listings.
This early Monitor looks like it was mounted on a small boat (maybe a Cape Dory?).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MONITOR-SELF-ST ... 5a&vxp=mtr
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

hilbert wrote:Windvanes list on ebay from time to time. You can set it up to receive notifications of new listings.
This early Monitor looks like it was mounted on a small boat (maybe a Cape Dory
Be cognizant that this unit is serial number 026. It may be more of a display/collectors item at this point in its life. I would not entertain the though of a purchase unless you can inspect it personally. It has none of the numerous modifications and improvements incorporated into more recent vintage units. I just traded my old unit in to Scanmar for a new replacement. PM me if you want the financial details.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Post by Wingaersheek II »

hilbert wrote:This early Monitor looks like it was mounted on a small boat (maybe a Cape Dory?).
The stern does look a lot like a Cape Dory, so I asked the seller. It's a Cheoy Lee Offshore 31.
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

I picked up my Monitor, used on E-bay a few years ago. It was a late model with very little use, for $2000.00. I was able to pick it up locally. It came with brackets for another boat which needed to be modified to fit. It came with the mounting diagram for the original boat and Scanmar supplied me with the diagram for the CD-30 so I was able to make the modifications for a proper fit. Mounting these things is not horribly difficult but it isn't just a matter of bolting it on however you can make it fit.

So I got a great wind vane for a fraction of the new price but was still missing the wheel adapter. Chances are, you are not going to find one of those being sold separately. I had to buy a new one from Scanmar for $500.00. For as well made as the vane is, the wheel adapter is a piece of crap. It functions well enough but is a pain to engage and disengage. Just to add insult to a $500.00 purchase, it is installed with hose clamps. I mention all of this to remind you that you might need to add $500.00 to the purchase price of any used vane you might find.

I still got a pretty cheap set up that was in excellent condition. Scanmar made lots of changes over the years and a late model, used vane is a great deal, Steve.
trapper
CD25D, Lake Murray SC

Post by trapper »

I just ordered a new NASA Clipper Marine wireless unit for Cape Dory 25D. I had the wired unit for 5 or 6 years. My husband dropped the mast and broke the old one. I ordered the new one from England and it has not yet arrived. I liked the old one just fine. It does not give true wind and true wind direction but I am not racing the 25D so I don't really care.

The NASA instruments are from England and a good deal cheaper than Raymarine , garmin or others. It is sold in the US but it is about $100 cheaper to order it from England.