Non-skid color selection

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: bobdugan

Jim Walsh

Re: Non-skid color selection

Post by Jim Walsh »

Roberto,
I sent you a private message with a hyperlink. :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Thanks Jim.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

The project of "Alwgriping" the deck has been postponed at least two (2) months because of birds. Funny story. :( Each year, from sometime in December to sometime in March, the mooring field at the sailing club is inundated with northern visitors who seem to enjoy the berries that are prevalent in many trees around Coconut Grove. Once satiated with berries, they then find a masthead, a spreader, a boom or a deck upon which to rest and ........... well, you know. Apparently, the berries are gone in late February or early March and the birds then leave as well. I always thought the birds were here in the winter months because of the warm weather. Who knew it was berries. :cry:

The young lady who is going to be applying the Alwgrip and Griptex said that it will be very difficult (probably impossible) to keep the bird $&^@ off the deck, etc. especially during the Awlgrip drying process. So, another delay until early March.

The delay does allow me to think again about the nonskid color. Right now my favorite is Pearl Gray. The person who will be doing the work (she is a much sought after expert with Awlgrip products and application) says that Pearl Gray may be "hotter" than I would like during summer months. I really like the color - especially contrasted with the Ocean Blue Sunbrella color I have for all the cloth, Bimini, mainsail cover, etc. She also says that Griptex "coarse" is appropriate. She does NOT recommend the extra coarse - too painful on bare feet.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Roberto,

Perhaps a nice berry color.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Roberto,
Perhaps you need a scarecrow hoisted to the main truck. :roll:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Neil Gordon wrote:Perhaps a nice berry color.
Very thoughtful Commodore. :D Perhaps I should select Awlgrip Cabernet Burgundy (H7425) for the non-skid. :D :D :D

Jim, sailors at the club have tried every device and contraption known to man or invented by man. I used to have a large plastic scarecrow that I raised up on the spinnaker halyard along with several other "deterrent devices". The birds used the scarecrow as a perch.

I have used flags on a line with poor results. I have hung old CDs (they flash in the sun and make a noise) with poor results. I have raised up to the spreaders large balloons with scary looking faces. The birds laughed at that effort. :( I know several who have strategically placed plastic snakes. Again poor results.

Every year there seems to be one small area of the mooring field that is spared from the "bombing" runs. Two (2) years ago it was near me. Yea :!: This year, I appear to be ground zero for their bombing runs.

The only good thing about it is that you have to wash your deck once a week (weather and time permitting) so the deck and topsides look nice. Also, it only lasts about four (4) months. It could be worse and last all year.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>> I have hung old CDs ... with poor results.<<

Can't be easy on the halyards, either.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I'd attach jumper cables from my house bank to the shrouds :wink:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Neil Gordon wrote:>> I have hung old CDs ... with poor results.<<

Can't be easy on the halyards, either.
Neil:

I could not stop laughing. :D :D :D :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

So, getting back to the original theme of this thread, I called Awlgrip this morning to talk with one of their tech experts. Very nice folks.

He recommends I NOT use the Pearl Gray for the non-skid. Apparently, the Oyster White I applied is a "soft/warm" color and Pearl Gray is a "hard/cold" color. They do not play well together.

For the non-skid areas he recommends Moon Dust #1, Grand Banks Beige #2 and Light Ivory #3 - depending upon how much "contrast" I want between the deck and the non-skid. He says any of these will contrast well with the Oyster White.

I think several of you posted that you had previously selected Moon Dust for the non-skid areas.

Is there any chance you could post photos of your decks with the Moon Dust :?:

Sadly, this request comes to you from a guy who could not post a photo on this board if his life depended on it. :cry:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Neil Gordon

Post by Neil Gordon »

Roberto,

>>So, getting back to the original theme of this thread, ...<<

A clear violation of the bylaws!!!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Ben Thomas wrote:I used the Awlgrip Moon Dust with non-skid#G6004/F6102
Roberto,
This was one of the first postings, Oyster White and Moon Dust. I think Ben's boat looks great.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Post by Wingaersheek II »

Work in progress taken just today. Oyster White and Moon Dust.
Wingaersheek II - Deck Paint 01 (2015-01-13).jpg
Wingaersheek II - Deck Paint 02 (2015-01-13).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

Thanks very much for the recent photos. Really nice :!: I only wish I had a large contained building like you have to work on S/V Bali Ha'i.

It is interesting how both you and Ben T. used the same Moon Dust for the non-skid yet in the respective photos the colors seem really different. I am guessing this has a lot to do with available and/or artificial lighting, camera settings, etc.

Jim, if I recall correctly, you also applied Oyster White. The photo of the cockpit you posted really shows a nice contrast between Oyster White and Moon Dust. With your permission I think I may "plagiarize" your color selection. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Post by Wingaersheek II »

Hi Roberto,

Between the lighting and the camera, I don't think the color is too accurate, but it does give a good representation of the contrast between the two colors. I'm planning to visit next week and will try to get some better photos. Truthfully I don't know that I can do any better until the boat is back outside (i.e. in the spring).

With regards to the facilities, if you're not painting indoors here, then you're not working. It's thirteen degrees here right now and that's a good fifteen degrees warmer than it was a week ago. The boat is in a work bay now, but I am fortunate to store indoors as well.

Regards,
Jim