A sad end to a Bristol 30

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Joe M
Location: 1984 CD Typhoon "Itilldoo" & CD10 No.315 Cape May, NJ

A sad end to a Bristol 30

Post by Joe M »

This video is a bit dated...sad end to a good old boat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCHzQ1-baM0
Steve Laume

Re: A sad end to a Bristol 30

Post by Steve Laume »

At least they stripped the hardware on that one. I doesn't look like they were going to salvage the lead though. I can understand that some boats are just not worth restoring but it is the right thing to salvage as much as possible.

No matter what the case may be, it is still kind of sad, Steve.
Jim1945
Location: 1977 CDTy Weekender #1423, Toledo, Ohio. Sailing Lake Erie, CDSOA #1651

Post by Jim1945 »

Very sad indeed. My casual observation is the hull looked good. Who knows what other problems there were. I once owned a Bristol 22 that I have many times regretted selling. I did substantial work replacing many feet of saturated deck but the hull was very strong and she sailed well. To this day, probably 15+ years after selling her, that 22 remains in the marina where I dock my CD Ty sitting on the cradle I built for it and being continuously neglected. I fear the same fate for it as with the 30.
bottomscraper

Post by bottomscraper »

I guess this is what happens when you don't pay you bills!

http://youtu.be/LEaPuiw0zEs
Rich Abato
Nordic Tug 34 Tanuki

Previous Owner Of CD36 Mahalo #163

Southern Maine
http://www.sailmahalo.com
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Always makes me wonder why the yard doesn't auction or donate the boats once it takes possession. You would think they'd have a chance of getting a few bucks out of them rather than adding insult to injury and just running up more expense to demolish and trash these vessels. :?:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Jim Walsh wrote:Always makes me wonder why the yard doesn't auction or donate the boats once it takes possession. You would think they'd have a chance of getting a few bucks out of them rather than adding insult to injury and just running up more expense to demolish and trash these vessels. :?:
I've seen a few at my marina that have been broken up... usually they've been badly neglected for years and have standing water in the cabin. Sails (usually still bent on) are rotted and shredded, as are dodgers. Sometimes the sails are nicely bagged but sitting in the water in the cabin. Sad to see but just not worth restoring.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

"... I was only following orders..." :cry:

I've had a few bad jobs, thankfully I've never had that one.
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

In some states, and Massachusetts used to be one of them until marina owners pushed through some legislation, if the title-holder of a vessel cannot be found, a boat cannot be sold for unpaid bills. However, I believe, it can still be destroyed. I might have this wrong, and I have no idea how it works in New Jersey, but I do remember vaguely when the Mass. Marine Trades Assoc. was pushing for such a law here.

Still, an awful sight. I could not watch it to the bitter end.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
joemerchant

Post by joemerchant »

We had one at the yard in CA. I had a slip in many years ago, but was declared a total loss by the insurance company and had an order to destroy. The yard told me that nothing could be removed from the boat except the motors and batteries (for enviornmental reasons). Nothing could be reused as it was but any metals, etc. would be recycled once it was delived and signed over to a landfill/recycling center. Even the engines had to be destroyed. It was sad because there was a lot on that boat that was in really good shape, including, what looked like a new electric windlass. Yard said that some insurance companies didn't like to mess with it and just paid to destroy instead of selling what is left at auction or to the yard and taking anything from the boat before or after is the same as stealing it off any boat in the yard. That was back in the 80's