Barnacle Build Up on Prop

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Barnacle Build Up on Prop

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Steve:

Thanks. It was not a well written sentence. I actually passed (barely) English writing for my GED. I am still trying to pass the "danged" GED math. :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Cornwell

Post by Jim Cornwell »

Prop Speed for sale! Prop Speed for sale! Unopened, kept in cool dark place for three years. For sale to the highest bidder for a fraction of the original purchase price! Motivated seller! All offers considered!
Steve Laume

Post by Steve Laume »

Robert, the sentence was fine. I just found it funny. In a juvenile sort of way.

Before spell check, it used to take me hours to write a letter. I would be constantly looking up spelling, in a dictionary and would dumb down my vocabulary so I could use words I knew how to spell. I still struggle with the English language. I am amazed by people who know multiple languages. I have a hard enough time with one.

I just think of my boat as another entity. It is mine for now but I Hope that Raven outlasts me by many years. Like my property, I hope I leave it and her in better condition than for the time I spend as their steward.

Well, I got off on a bit of a tangent, Steve.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I applied Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing spray today. Three (3) thin coats - at least as thin as I could spray them.

I hope to launch next Monday (weather and seas permitting). Since I clean my own bottom (or should I more accurately state "since I clean S/V Bali Ha'i's bottom" with a tip of the hat to my friend Steve) I will try to report on how it does in the warm, nutrient rich waters of Biscayne Bay.

I am still not sure how it is that the high zinc content (not high copper content) of the Rustoleum product keeps off barnacles but if it works it works. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Robert,
Thanks for the clarification :D
I will be hauled in the next couple weeks and I'm hoping to be able to post positive results.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Emil Maurer

Post by Emil Maurer »

I have used Petit Zinc Barnacle Spray on my prop, two thin coats applied to bare metal, on the south shore Atlantic side of Long Island for a number of barnacle free years.
The bare metal grounding plate on the keel at the end of the season in November is piled high with barnacles in contrast to the prop.
I always wanted to spray the plate too but was advised to leave it bare. I would think that all those barnacles on the plate are more insulation from electrical current than the zinc spray ???
A little brass ball-peen hammer lightly used, pop-crushes barnacles flat. And a Dremel or a MultTool is helpful to clean off the residue.
I heard that the navy once spent millions on a study which attempted to synthesize the glue secreted by barnacles. They wanted to glue ships together with it. (They were not successful in reproducing the substance)
Emil Maurer
Emil Maurer
Joe Myerson
Location: s/v Creme Brulee, CD 25D, Hull #80, Squeteague Harbor, MA

Post by Joe Myerson »

Emil et al:
Creme Brûlée was hauled yesterday. She was hardly sailed at all this season, but I had put a fresh coat of PropSpeed on the prop. There was only one small clump of barnacles on the prop, and I was able to pick it off by hand. The prop looks like new.

My grounding plate was covered with barnacles, as usual. I'll have to smash 'em off or knock 'em off with a large screwdriver.

The raw-water intake was kind of a mess, even though I painted it with anti-fouling. I also warmed up the strainer with a heat gun before applying anhydrous lanolin on the inside. Haven't opened it up to see if that had any effect.

--Joe
Former Commodore, CDSOA
Former Captain, Northeast Fleet
S/V Crème Brûlée, CD 25D, Hull # 80

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea."
--Capt. John Smith, 1627
Dick Kobayashi
Location: Former owner of 3 CDs, most recently Susan B, a 25D

Post by Dick Kobayashi »

Susan B was hauled recently and I have the same report as Joe - maybe a few more barnacles on the prop - lots on the zinc and on the grounding plate...but I did nothing except clean off the 2013 barnacles (I know, I said I was going to spray on zinc - but I didn't).
Dick K
CD 25D Susan B #104
Mattapoisett, MA

Fleet Captain - Northeast Fleet 2014/2015

Tempus Fugit. And not only that, it goes by fast. (Ron Vacarro 1945 - 1971)
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I posted the results of my "zinc spray experiment" with an end of season photo for those interested. Here's the hyperlink.
http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... 22#p179622
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I was finally able to clean the bottom and prop today after having launched S/V Bali Ha'i in early November 2014. After two (2) months of mostly lying to her mooring I expected to find significant growth on the hull and the prop.

Surprisingly, the prop was almost clean. There were a few small sea growths, etc. but very, very minimal. Much less than I expected and much, much less than in prior years of cleaning monthly. Also, there were no barnacles or other hard growths.

I applied three (3) coats of Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing spray to the prop, nut, etc. in October 2014 before launching. I am not sure how it works (it's zinc not copper) but it apparently does work.

Interestingly, the hull/bottom was also surprisingly devoid of substantial growth. Normally, during a monthly cleaning I use a wide (8") putty knife to scrap off barnacles, etc. and then a brush to remove remaining soft growths. Today there was only soft growth (after 2 months on her mooring :!: ). I am not sure why. I used the same bottom paint I have been using for 7 years (Sea Hawk Tropikote - 2 coats) and she is on the same mooring she has always been on.

I will check with commercial divers who clean 10-12 boats a day to see if they are observing the same anomaly or if it is somehow unique to S/V Bali Ha'i (I very much doubt this. :wink: ).

Anyways, reporting as promised - the Rustoleum Cold Galvanizing spray (zinc) seems to work even in the nutrient rich and warm (74 degrees) temps of South Florida.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

>> After two (2) months of mostly lying to her mooring ...<<

Roberto,

If you can't be honest to your mooring, ...

By the way, perhaps the extra clean prop has something to do with the birds and the berries.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
kmulligan

Post by kmulligan »

We've had more barnacle growth than normal also on the brackish Crystal River four miles from the gulf. The experts say the salinity is increasing due to saltwater intrusion to the fresh water springs that feed the river. I go in with a mask 3-4 times a year and knock them off with a sharpened putty knife. For the tough spots, like the bottom of the rudder and keel I use a sharpened heavy-duty brick chisel. A haul for bottom paint is on the horizon.
Kevin Mulligan
CD 28 # 226
Crystal River, Fl.
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

kmulligan wrote:We've had more barnacle growth than normal also on the brackish Crystal River four miles from the gulf. The experts say the salinity is increasing due to saltwater intrusion to the fresh water springs that feed the river. I go in with a mask 3-4 times a year and knock them off with a sharpened putty knife. For the tough spots, like the bottom of the rudder and keel I use a sharpened heavy-duty brick chisel. A haul for bottom paint is on the horizon.
Kevin Mulligan
CD 28 # 226
Crystal River, Fl.
I'd be interested to know what your choice of bottom paint is. I switched from Micron Extra to Sea Hawk Cucote with good results. I believe it is manufactured in Florida.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

JWSutcliffe

Post by JWSutcliffe »

The results this year with Micron Extra and Petit Zinc spray are as follows. Zero barnacle or other growth on the bottom, minimal barnacle growth on prop. Certainly not enough to affect operation under power or even notice a performance difference, and I did not do any cleaning during the season. Very happy with both.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Skip Sutcliffe
CD31 Oryx
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Skip:

Is that the condition of your bottom/keel after haul out and before any cleaning or pressure washing :?: If so, that is pretty amazing even in the colder waters in the Conn. area.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097