Typhoon Self-tacking Jib

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

casampson

Typhoon Self-tacking Jib

Post by casampson »

Has anyone ever given any thought to converting a Typhoon to a self-tacking jib system? How would you go about it? Pros and cons? Thanks.
Last edited by casampson on Jan 3rd, '15, 18:18, edited 2 times in total.
Jim Walsh

Re: Typhoon Self-tacking Jib

Post by Jim Walsh »

This is a photo of the H-12 from Cape Cod Shipbuilding. You can buy the complete assembly from them or parts thereof which would allow you to custom fit it to your Typhoon. I'm sure there are cheaper ways to go but this can be a starting point to ponder over the winter months.
As a CD31 owner with a self tacking rig when I roll up the yankee I'm a bit biased. It makes a great way to approach a mooring or just sail in strong winds when the ability to point isn't that important.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

I would like to install a self tending jib on my Ty DS. My motivation is to improve the sheeting angles. I sail in a place with a lot of wind and use a 100% jib. To sail close hauled I have to run the sheets inside the shrouds, to sail off the wind outside. The Hoyt jib boom would be ideal but it is lots of money and kind of ugly. I am leaning towards a modification of the rig used on the 12 1/2. The 12 1/2 uses a hook onto which the forward end of the club attaches. This won't work on the Ty. I am thinking about a small bow shackle or swivel attached to the aft most hole in the bow plate. This is on my list of things to try this spring. I don't think that it will require the removal of my roller furler. I would appreciate your ideas.

I have some pictures of the club and fitting used on the 121/2 that's will post when I am on my other computer.

Jeff
Jeff D

Post by Jeff D »

Here is the forward end of the H 12 1/2 jib boom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
barfwinkle

Post by barfwinkle »

Good morning to all

If you have a copy of "The Rigger's Apprentice" (or access to it) instructions for a self-tending staysail begins on page 152. I would think the process would be the same.

Happy New Year and Fair winds.
Bill Member #250.
flyboy5724

Post by flyboy5724 »

I had a self tacking jib boom installed on my 1977 Typhoon. It worked great, I will find the photos of it and post them. I bought the pedestal from rig right and attached a small goose neck to one end and a single block to the other. I also installed a CDI R.F. With it. I placed the furler line down the port side to the cockpit and the out haul for the jib down the starboard side. Then the jib boom control line was connected to a pad eye on the port side, then traveled through the block on the jib boom, then down to a standing block, and then lead back to the cockpit to a cam cleat. I have the same setup on my CD 28, but with a Harken RF.
Shelby
Location: CD Typhoon/open daysailer...."Liberty".......OKC,OK

Post by Shelby »

As one with a Typhoon Open Daysailer......the self tending jib does spoil you. My crew loves not having to tend sheets, when I get into a tacking duel with other boats on our lake. The Ty may not tack as quick as a fin boat, but I can wear them out, from sheeting and trimming.
casampson

Post by casampson »

A friend of mine converted his Herreshoff 15 by using a shackle to attach the jib boom to the forestay. He also installed a traveller. It works well. As for the jib itself, I imagine you'd have to cut down to 85 or 90% to clear the mast. Will this affect the performance of the boat? I imagine there wouldn't be a noticeable difference in speed, but will there be a significant increase in weather helm?
Jim Davis
Edgewater, MD

Post by Jim Davis »

Based on my wife's Ty DS there isn't any real change in helm. Of course this assumes that the sails are properly trimmed.

As Shelby has pointed out having everything self tending it makes for easy sailing and beating up a river simple. If there are two people on board you just pass the tiller back and forth as you tack. If you are alone then you have to get up and change sides.
Jim Davis
S/V Isa Lei
flyboy5724

Post by flyboy5724 »

As promised here are some photos of my Typhoon.
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

Pristine. Simply beautiful.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490