Non-skid color selection

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Skylark

Re: Non-skid color selection

Post by Skylark »

Save time, money and labor, exterior latex holds up with proper prep. Remember it's going to be walked on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Skylark

Post by Skylark »

Oculum vitreum habeo.
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Skylark wrote:Oculum vitreum habeo.
Quid? :?
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Post by Oswego John »

No um speeka der Latin. :?:

O eus J eous :roll:
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

While being allowed at 10 min "work break" from my "Honey Do" Christmas list, I offer the following:

I had thought I would post a comment suggesting that I had, unintentionally, elevated the intellectual and scholastic level of the conversation on this board with the apparent use of Latin. Then I read the most recent post by my very best friend on this board - OJ. :(

Buon Natale e Felice Anno Nuovo :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Skylark wrote:Oculum vitreum habeo.
Unum, vel duos :wink:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Oswego John

Post by Oswego John »

Roberto,

aka Robert,

Robert (sometimes known as Roberto) , help me in my thinking. Your yacht is on the hard in the winter time. She is in Miami, Florida.

My Ty is on the hard in the middle of a snow belt. (snow is a four letter woid) [NY accent]

My Ty is supposed to be on the hard at this time of the year. In Miami you are supposed to be sailing your buns off in the winter, not painting your CD. What gives? :?:

On another tack, I am assembling your Christmas gift. Hopefully you will receive it by St Paddies Day. Definitely by Memorial Day.

Fifi sends you her best. (That's debatable) :wink: :wink:

Joyeaux Noel

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

OJ:

S/V Bali Ha'i lies to her mooring at the local sailing club. I will bring her in to the club's dock in early January and the deck will be Awlgriped and non-skid applied. The topsides were done last year.

I did have S/V Bali Ha'i on the hard this past summer. Two reasons - first, at my age, trying to quickly secure her single-handed in preparation for a hurricane is, sadly, beyond my abilities these days. Hauling and putting her on jack stands is safer. I removed all the sails, boom, Bimini, etc.

Second, I had some projects I wanted to do (paint bottom, etc.). I put her back in the water several weeks ago. Unfortunately, I have yet to reinstall the boom, main, Genoa and Bimini. A combination of factors have conspired against me. So, while she is in the water, technically you are correct. I can't go "sailing" until I reinstall the sails. :(

Buon Natale my friend. :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Oswego John

Post by Oswego John »

Roberto,

I.m glad to hear that Bali Ha'i is still in the water. I wish I could say that about mine..

I really do have something that I think will prove very useful to you. Now, all I have to do is get my act together and mail it to you. Are you still at the same address that you had two years ago? I have that one.

If not send the new address to me via CD message board. Don't use my email address. Someone hacked my email and I'm having trouble with it.

My neighbor is having their traditional Christmas Eve meal that I think you would enjoy. Bacala (sp) and pulpi in sauce (gravy) plus too many other things to mention.

Take care,
O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

OJ:

Your neighbor has probably prepared a Christmas eve Italian dinner known as 'The Feast of the Seven Fishes". Very nice. One of the traditional dishes is codfish (in Italian "Baccala"). I am not sure about "pulpi".

Same address. No changes.

Buon Natale :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Oswego John

Post by Oswego John »

Roberto, I believe that it is octopus. It is white meat is tomato sauce.

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Ben Thomas

Post by Ben Thomas »

Jim, I believe I used the Awlgrip Oyster White #H8139 for the hull and topsides.
Ben
Sea Hunt Video

Awlgrip Griptex non-skid coarseness-fine, coarse, extra coar

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I am "leaning" towards the Awlgrip Pearl Gray color (G1008) for the non-skid. An additional reason for ''leaning" toward this color is that my mainsail cover and Genoa UV protection are Sunbrella "Ocean Blue" as are the winch covers and tiller cover. In my mind the Pearl Gray should look nice with the Ocean Blue.

Regardless of the non-skid color, I need to select the "coarseness"/grade (term :?: ) of the non-skid (Awlgrip Griptex). They have fine, coarse and extra coarse grades. For safety reasons, I am leaning towards "extra coarse". Inexplicably, I no longer have my catlike reflexes and would like firm footing - especially while single-handing. The person who will be applying the Awlgrip says this will be "too coarse" and too rough on feet, skin, knees, etc. She recommends coarse grade.

Having researched several websites and read all the comments on Awlgrip Griptex, it seems like some get the coarse and are happy, some get the extra coarse and are happy and some get a mix of coarse and extra coarse and are happy as well. Kind of like a version of the three (3) bears and porridge. :D

I would welcome suggestions and experiences from the board on the Awlgrip Griptex material - coarse and/or extra coarse.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions, experiences, etc.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Roberto,
I found this specific advice on the use of Awlgrip Griptex on another forum. You may find this helpful.

"You can make it as coarse or fine as you like. In addition, by varying how heavily you apply the final coat (or even by applying more than one), you can adjust how aggressive the skid is. This is because the final coat fills in in between the skid particles. The reason I prefer Fine and Coarse mixed 50/50 is because the big Coarse particles provide excellent grip, but the Fine particles fill in between them and make it much more comfortable. I've painted a whole lot of boats, and this is the best skid combo I've found for both traction and comfort to lay on, won't remove skin in a fall either. Easy to maintain and keep clean too, unlike products like Kiwigrip. Excellent longevity as well. You can also adjust the amount of flattening agent in the final coat to taste. It's very good stuff."
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

Thanks. Can you provide the website address for this information :?: I read several website forums but do not recall seeing this quote. Perhaps there are others I missed as well.

Felice Anno Nuovo :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097