Non-skid color selection

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Non-skid color selection

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Jim:

FWIW, I used Awlgrip "Oyster White" for the topsides and am very happy with the color. The bootstripe is Toreador Red and the bottom paint is SeaHawk Tropikote Blue. I raised the waterline on S/V Bali Ha'i about 4". On her mooring, she shows a few inches of her blue bottom. Thus, you see "red, white and blue".

Because of my location (Coconut Grove) I have to be careful with the color selection for the deck. From what I am told just a few shades difference in color can make a significant difference in temperature/heat retention. I'm using the same Oyster White on the deck and am still not sure about the non-skid color. :?

Your two (2) colors seem nice - Off White and Moon Dust.

Buon Natale e Felice Anno Nuovo :!:
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Decisions, decisions, decisions. Last night nature decided to coat all the uncovered boats up here "snow" white.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Post by Wingaersheek II »

Hah - you thought you were being clever, but Awlgrip actually makes a Snow White!

Roberto,

On my color chart, the Oyster White is VERY close to the Vanilla White I was considering. If I was to go with either of these whites then I think I would go with either Moon Dust or Grand Banks Beige for the non-skid. I would probably lean towards the Moon Dust. Again, my main attraction to the Grand Banks Beige is that it‘s very close in color to the original gel coat non-skid on my boat.

I don’t think there is quite enough contrast between Oyster White and Cream to set it off, but if you wanted to be lighter than Moon Dust, you might consider Light Ivory.

Regards,
Jim
moctrams
Location: 1982 Cape Dory 30C,Gabbiano,Hull # 265,Flag Harbor,Long Beach, Md.

Post by moctrams »

I don't remember the white since the yard did all the work.
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Thanks a LOT Jim :!: :roll: :D :D

I was almost committed to Pearl Gray and be done with it. Now you have introduced "Moon Dust" and "Light Ivory" into the equation and I am back to "square zero" - kind of like the tiny, tiny little sample color "squares" from the Awlgrip chart. Thanks a LOT Jim :!: :!: :!: :? :D :D :D
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Wingaersheek II
Cape Dory 27 #250
Port Washington, WI

Post by Wingaersheek II »

For what it’s worth, I decided on Awlgrip Oyster White with Awlgrip Moon Dust for the non-skid. I visited the boat one last time today before finalizing my decision. The Oyster White is the closest match to the color of my hull, I think closer than the Vanilla White I was considering before (Thanks Roberto :wink: ). Once I decided to go with a "darker white" (that's an oxymoron), the Moon Dust non-skid was an easy decision.

Regards,
Jim
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Wingaersheek II wrote:For what it’s worth, I decided on Awlgrip Oyster White with Awlgrip Moon Dust for the non-skid.
I think this is a great choice. Were I having my boat painted these are the exact colors I'd choose. Don't forget to take photos and post them so we can drool over the results.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I, too, would like to see photos. I think you said you were doing yours next week. As of now, I'm scheduled for early January 2015. It would help a lot to see a photo of what the "Moon Dust" non-skid looks like with the "Oyster White".

Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Just to add a little more uncertainty and "selection variables" to the process I offer the following:

A member at the sailing club brought in his Cape Dory 40 to the dock today. She is gorgeous in all respects :!:

I asked the owners about the non-skid color. They said it was Awlgrip "Cream". I checked the Awlgrip chart. It is H8002.

Their deck is perhaps a little "whiter" than "Oyster White". I foolishly forgot to ask the color of the deck. :(

I kind of like the "Cream" although it may not be enough of a contrast/off-set to Oyster White.

I thought I had this all figured out. Things are steady unraveling. :( :? :wink:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
tjr818
Location: Previously owned 1980 CD 27 Slainte, Hull #185. NO.1257949

Post by tjr818 »

Have you thought of a laid teak deck as an alternative? Teak only comes in one color :wink:
Tim
Nonsuch 26 Ultra,
Previously, Sláinte a CD27
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

tjr818 wrote:Have you thought of a laid teak deck as an alternative? Teak only comes in one color :wink:
And is relatively cool underfoot.
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

tjr818 wrote:Have you thought of a laid teak deck as an alternative? Teak only comes in one color :wink:
Tim:

You are a good friend and always offer very helpful suggestions. In the spirit of our friendship, and in the spirit of this holiday season, please allow me to state the following:

Please go Christmas shopping :!: :wink: :D :wink: :D :D
Last edited by Sea Hunt Video on Dec 23rd, '14, 18:15, edited 1 time in total.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Jim Walsh wrote:I still have all the original gel coat, but having looked at Awlgrip's color chart my choice would be "cream, H8002". I like the original color scheme and would just go somewhat lighter in deference to the Florida sun.

Buon Natale e Felice Anno Nuovo :wink:
Roberto,
Seems you may have been subliminally influenced by my earlier posting :)
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION

Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Et tu, Brute :?:
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

Corvus oculum corvi non eruit. :wink:
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore

CD31 ORION