Long Term Engine Disuse

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

hilbert

Long Term Engine Disuse

Post by hilbert »

I last ran my Yanmar 2G20F in the Fall of 2009.

I've taken the following steps to maintain the engine:

1) Changed the oil, oil filter and anti-freeze before the winter of 2009-2010, and winterized the heat exchanger (I've since drained the raw water side).
2) Drained the fuel tank.
3) Removed the raw water pump, thermostat and the packing from the stuffing box.
4) Sprayed the exterior with Boeshield T-9
5) About once a week (except during the winter), I release the decompression levers and turn the engine over by hand until the low oil pressure alarm stops. I then continue to turn for about another 60 seconds.
6) Before the winter, I squirt some engine oil into the cylinders by way of the air intake.
7) Before this winter of 2014-2015, I once again changed the oil, oil-filter and anti-freeze.

It will probably be another year or two before the boat goes back into the water. Are there any other actions that I should consider?

Thanks
Keith

Re: Long Term Engine Disuse

Post by Keith »

In my humble opinion you have done more then anyone that I have ever heard of and I think that you will be just fine when it comes to firing it up again. Turning it over once per week is quite extraordinary.

congrats and good luck

Keith
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

I'd replace all the hoses and the raw water impeller before commissioning for use. All hoses deteriorate in time whether used or not. I'd also replace the heat exchanger zinc. It's nice to see that you care enough about your engine to care for it as you have so far.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
Petersen

Post by Petersen »

Comments:
I have an old 1GM that I need to know about/service to keep it operating properly.
Your 20 maybe different, but here are just a few considerations:
Yanmar has some good info on their web page for long term lay ups.
You can call them or Mack Boring about particulars/questions. I have found them very helpful.
The action you take depends on the storage environment freezing/humid/dry/ etc.

Some additional considerations:
I would tape/block the air intake and the exhaust to prevent damp air intrusion into engine
Cover engine to reduce dirt/dust.
Pay some attention to your transmission... you may want to circulate/check that transmission oil.
Since you turn the motor until the alarm stops, you must have the engine connected to the batteries. You must keep an eye on them.Not sure about advisability of keeping them connected on a long term basis.
I would make sure to avoid any condensation build-up in that empty fuel tank/fuel lines/fuel filters. Bad/contaminated fuel is a big fuel enemy.

Since it wont be started up for maybe over 7 years, I would definitely have a professional check things out very closely and do the restart procedures/ start to avoid any costly damage if there are any undetected problems.

Hope this helps.

Peter

S/V Aeolus CD25D #0068
psjanker

Post by psjanker »

I purchased CHASSEUR after she had been on the hard for 12 years, counting the year that I worked on her it had not been started in 13 seasons. Changed all fluids, filters, impeller and pulled the tanks to clean all the gunk out. Started on the first crank.

Only issue was setting water in the transmission oil cooling line which the PO had not flushed, which resulted in a cracked line due to freezing. Engine is a 18 hp volvo penta 2002. I also cleaned with diesel the air filter and coated it with oil.

V/r

Pete
CHASSEUR Cape Dory 28