Haul out & proper sling placement

Discussions about Cape Dory, Intrepid and Robinhood sailboats and how we use them. Got questions? Have answers? Provide them here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

s2sailorlis

Haul out & proper sling placement

Post by s2sailorlis »

Question is for my CD22.

Our club has a crane so we can haul or boats, I assume the sling placement is as follows

Fore sling is within the radius of the cut-away area of keel
Aft sling is just foreward of the rudder under the keel

Problem with this configuration on our crane (we don't have a Travelift at our club...) is that when I use those sling locations the lift is uneven with the bow a bit lower than stern because the slings of course are same length and the connect to a single lifting hook on the crane.

I load my CD on a Triad trailer with poppets and it was a bit exciting trying to settle the boat onto the trailer...lots of adjustments to get her to settle in.

My concern is that if I lift her off in spring, the lift will result in stern lifting first while bow digs into the front placing a serious load on the front of trailer and front 2 poppets.

Someone suggested that I place aft sling BEHIND the rudder along the rise between the rudder and transom. My sense is that trying to haul like that would strain the hull...and create other issues.

Thoughts appreciated.

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Oswego John
Location: '66 Typhoon "Grace", Hull # 42, Schooner "Ontario", CD 85D Hull #1

Re: Haul out & proper sling placement

Post by Oswego John »

s2sailorlis,

If you plan on keeping the boat, how about treating her with a Christmas present of a proper sized sling for the bow. :?:

O J
"If I rest, I rust"
Voting Member #490
Jerry Hammernik
Lake Michigan

Post by Jerry Hammernik »

I have routinely lifted my CD28 with the strap aft of the rudder on the hull. These things are overbuilt and I have seen no issues at all from that lift. I have also lifted from under the keel forward of the rudder. Different derrick operators like different ways.

Of course your mileage may vary. :D
Jerry Hammernik

"Money can't buy happiness, but it sure can buy a lot of things that will make me happy."
s2sailorlis

Post by s2sailorlis »

Just after I posted this last nite...I googled exactly that...

http://www.aceindustries.com/p-183-1800 ... sling.aspx

I might go down that route if we're talking $100 or thereabouts investment, than I'll do it.

Thanks!
Oswego John wrote:s2sailorlis,

If you plan on keeping the boat, how about treating her with a Christmas present of a proper sized sling for the bow. :?:

O J

Excuse auto-correct typos courtesy of iOS...or simply lazy typing
Randy Capstick
Location: 1980 Ty Weekender, 1984 CD36 Glen Margaret, Nova Scotia, Canada

Post by Randy Capstick »

When lifting our previous CD28 with a crane, the operator had a 3 ft. Extension he would add to the rear sling for all full keel boats. Whatever you do, make sure you snugly tie the slings together to prevent them from slipping off the hull.
Randy
Neil Gordon
Location: s/v LIQUIDITY, CD28. We sail from Marina Bay on Boston Harbor. Try us on channel 9.

Post by Neil Gordon »

Oswego John wrote:... how about treating her with a Christmas present of a proper sized sling for the bow. :?:
This is a family friendly message board you're toying with, OJ!
Fair winds, Neil

s/v LIQUIDITY
Cape Dory 28 #167
Boston, MA

CDSOA member #698
tartansailor

Post by tartansailor »

Randy Capstick wrote:When lifting our previous CD28 with a crane, the operator had a 3 ft. Extension he would add to the rear sling for all full keel boats. Whatever you do, make sure you snugly tie the slings together to prevent them from slipping off the hull.
Randy
Amen to that.
Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
camroll

Post by camroll »

I and the marina I work for have hauled dozens of CD's from typhoons to 25's, 28's and 30's including my 28 for the last 15 years and we do them all the same way-- one strap behind the rudder and one at the first stantion. As has been said be sure and tie the straps together.

Russ
Jim Walsh

Post by Jim Walsh »

My marina positions the aft strap just forward of the rudder and the forward strap at the forward edge of the keel. The picture I have attached shows the positioning process nearly complete. The lift operator and his helper are just ready to attach the port and starboard safety straps which tie the fore and aft lifting straps together to prevent slipping.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jim Walsh

Ex Vice Commodore
Ex Captain-Northeast Fleet

CD31 ORION

The currency of life is not money, it's time
swhfire21

Post by swhfire21 »

Shortly after our boat was hauled and the lift had driven over to the trailer (I was dealing with boat hauler) I realized the stern sling was fully on the rudder. Luckily nothing happened and she was safely placed on the trailer. Somewhere in the confusion the lift operator must have loosened the slings after wet set them and allowed the boat to drift a little. The sling was properly lined just aft of the rear most port light, which should have done the trick.

Thankfully the rudder was locked amidships (tiller clutch) and well built.
Steve
Pleasant Journey, Morgan 35
Previously:
'85 CD 26, Hull No. 30
'74 Typhoon Hull No. 789
Great Bay/Little Egg Harbor, NJ