Rhiannon's Southerly Trek 2014

Cruising on your Cape Dory? Let us know your whereabouts and post cruise updates here.

Moderator: Jim Walsh

Andy Denmark

Rhiannon's Southerly Trek 2014

Post by Andy Denmark »

Rhiannon is currently enroute to points south from Oriental, NC,and is currently holed up in Charleston, SC, waiting out a spell of cold rain.

Onboard as first mate is Maggie French. The address of her blog site is posted at the end of this nmissive. Feel free to comment if you'd like to do so but don't feel slighted if we don't reply promptly. We are hastening south to get out of the cold and/or rainy weather and are often busy or out of reach.

We found ourselves traveling informally with a new Cape Dorian couple while in Georgetown, SC, Their names are Terry and Dianna Shartman and they are now the proud owners of Tantalus, John Ring's Cape Dory 28.

SAIL Magazine is sponsoring a group of 17 (?) ICW first-timers under the tutelage of Wally Moran and Mark Doyle. Wally is an active voice in the (current) Florida anchoring debacle representing SSCA among others. You may find him on Facebook. Mark Doyle is the author of several excellent ICW Cruising Guides. SAIL will use this group trip as the basis for forthcoming articles. Keep your eyes open for these.

Rhiannon is NOT part of this group as we aren't on any sort of schedule. We are travelling at roughly the same rate, though, so we find ourselves at anchorages and marinas together from time to time.

Here's Maggie's blog site address. We're both relatively new at this blog thing so bear with us while we get our feet on the ground. Feel free to comment if you'd like.

We are heading for warm weather and sunshine as fast as possible and tring to have a good time while doing so. It's good to be trekking again!

Maggie's blog address:

http://www.travelpod.com/travel-blog-en ... /tpod.html
s/v Rhiannon

"In order to be old and wise, one first must have been young and stupid ...
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Re: Rhiannon's Southerly Trek 2014

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Andy and all:

If your travels allow for a stop in Miami, I recommend the Coconut Grove Sailing Club for a mooring for a few days to a few weeks. This is their website:

http://www.cgsc.org/

You can call the club at 305.444.4571; dock master is extension 16; general manager (a good friend) is extension 18. The club generally has moorings available on a “first come, first serve” basis. If you tell the club you are friends with "Robert on S/V Bali Ha’i Junior" (1982 Cape Dory 25D) you will only be charged 10% above normal pricing. What a deal.

The sailing club is located in the heart of Coconut Grove with access to restaurants, marine supply stores, supermarkets, etc.

http://coconutgrove.com/

If you need vehicle transport while at the sailing club I am happy to drive you in my old Chevy truck.
Fair winds,

Roberto

a/k/a Sea Hunt "The Tadpole Sailor"
CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
SV Tatyana

Post by SV Tatyana »

Hello all,

my wife and I are also traveling south aboard our 25D "Tatyana" We had to pull out here in Charleston today due to a shot cutlass bearing. Hope to be on the way south in a few days though. We also ran into Tantalus a few times and I believe we saw Rhiannon pulling into Wrightsville Beach

Robert- we definitely are looking forward to stopping in Miami and the warm weather ahead! Is there anywhere to drop the hook in coconut grove?

Thanks

-Richard
Sea Hunt Video
Location: Former caretaker S/V Bali Ha'i 1982 CD 25D; Hull 69 and S/V Tadpole Typhoon Week

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

Richard:

Pull out Chart 11451. In the middle of page one where it says "COCONUT GROVE" is a blocked out area that references "Inset 2, Page B". It should say "Page A". It is a typo in the chart.

In between Dinner Key Channel and Four-Way Channel (both labeled on the chart) there is an area that has been claimed by The City of Miami. They have established a mooring field in this area with screw in moorings, etc. Once in the area, its boundaries are readily apparent. You must rent these.

It is my understanding (I have no specific knowledge) that you can drop an anchor East of the City of Miami mooring field. I have seen several transients with anchors deployed. I assume it is legal. I have no direct knowledge. Fred on Fenix anchored in or near this area several years ago before it was "claimed" by the City of Miami. You can see his comments at:
http://www.capedory.org/board/viewtopic ... ey#p173719

As you may know, where sailboats can drop an anchor has become a touchy subject in Florida and elsewhere. You may want to check with the dock master at Dinner Key Marina to make sure of the areas where you can anchor. The number is 305.329.4755.

As you can see, it is a fairly long dinghy ride from this area to land. There is a small "dinghy dock" located just south of the structure identified as "Auditorium" (now demolished). There is no security, etc. Caveat emptor :!:

Going back to "Inset 2", the Coconut Grove Sailing Club and mooring field is located just south of the structure identified as "Auditorium"and in the area where it references "Submerged piles". You may want to check the sailing club's website for mooring fees for transients. I believe you will find they are reasonable. http://www.cgsc.org/ They have:

24/7 launch service
showers
use of dock for pump out and wash down
easy access to Coconut Grove restaurants, etc.

If I can assist with anything, please do not hesitate to ask. Without going into details, I may not be (we are still discussing pros and cons) very ambulatory for a while. No worries. Minor stuff.
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097
"I wish to have no Connection with any Ship that does not Sail fast for I intend to go in harm's way." Captain John Paul Jones, 16 November 1778, as quoted in Naval History and Heritage Command, http://www.history.navy.mil
Sea Hunt Video

Post by Sea Hunt Video »

I should add that the area where you may be able to drop anchor is East of the barrier island and fully exposed to all of Biscayne Bay. When the winds are up, it is presumably a rough ride while at anchor. We receive predominantly easterly winds, especially during the Winter months.

For almost the past two (2) weeks the Bay has been exposed to steady 18-22 kt winds with frequent gusts to 25-28 kts all coming for the East. While I was not physically on one of the sailboats anchored East of the barrier island (whether on the hook or on a City of Miami mooring) I am confident the conditions were not comfortable.

The sailing club's mooring field is well protected by the large barrier island you see on the Chart 11451. In a blow, while not calm, the conditions at the club's mooring field are significantly more comfortable that outside and East of the barrier island.

FWIW; JMTC
Fair winds,

Roberto

CDSOA #1097